Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Bring back the poll tax..
  • Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Well perhaps not but..

Just moved from a 2 bed flat in central Edinburgh to a 4 bed house in Fife. Value of property not much different, single person occupancy (I need all those rooms for my bikes), yet council tax is over double what it was before.

I knew it was going to go up, but I also thought council tax was based on property price, rather than how many bedrooms I have? So double the price seems a bit excessive.

Premier Icon ElShalimo
    Free Member

Crap humble brag

😋

Premier Icon scotroutes

No one brags about living in Fife.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s the value -a long time ago applies by someone who gives no shits

It’s not based on number of bedrooms.

My house is ex council and perceived as low value back in the day …. And thus I pay sod all.

Some friends in smaller houses that are non ex council with the same 3 beds pay significantly more.

The good thing is that all the costs are availible prior to moving so there should be no shock -unless the house is heavily extended in which case the new owner gets the increased taxes

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

Tax is based on price within your council area, but different areas have different price ranges.

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

The band is set by value, the amount is set by council budget/number of properties (sort of). There a lot more properties in Edinburgh.

Premier Icon scotroutes

TBH we’ve still not cracked local taxation. Wealth based, property based, income based. Each has its pros and cons, its winners and losers.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Certainly in England, it’s based on the approximate value of the house in 1991, I think. It is ludicrously out of date, but the Blair government spent a fortune revaluing it and then bottled the implementation.

In England you have a few months after moving in to appeal the banding, don’t go through an agent, you can do it yourself, you just need to find evidence the banding is wrong, maybe look at other similar houses nearby. It’s all on the gov.uk website. Bear in mind the bandings are quite broad, so a change in value is not always the same as a change in band.

Whatever tax is applied, there will be winners and losers. Do you tax property/wealth, or do you tax occupancy to reflect use of services? Or a combination of both.

It needs reform, just needs a government with big enough balls to bring in something equitable and make the case that if society wants good public services then businesses and individuals will have to pay for them for the greater good. And close all the bloody loopholes

Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

Your paying for the retirement of the biggest employer in Fife and all the Ritalin it prescribes to school kids, so get a long spoon and sup it up

Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

Being as council services, which is what you are paying for, are consumed by the individuals not by the houses themselves the Poll Tax was the fairest way of collecting local taxes as you basically paid what you were likely to use. So 4 adults in the house would pay 4 times as they were the people most likely to use of need those services.

The reason why people protested about the Poll Tax wasn’t some airy fairy ideal, it was just that they’d have to pay more than their old rates. The upshot is that we now have a much less fairer system which doesn’t collect enough money and costs people living on their own a disproportionate amount.

Premier Icon scotroutes

The reason why people protested about the Poll Tax

Was because it didn’t reflect ability to pay.

Premier Icon gonefishin
    Free Member

Being as council services, which is what you are paying for, are consumed by the individuals not by the houses themselves the Poll Tax was the fairest way of collecting local taxes as you basically paid what you were likely to use. So 4 adults in the house would pay 4 times as they were the people most likely to use of need those services.

The reason why people protested about the Poll Tax wasn’t some airy fairy ideal, it was just that they’d have to pay more than their old rates. The upshot is that we now have a much less fairer system which doesn’t collect enough money and costs people living on their own a disproportionate amount.

Are you planning on extending that logic to all taxation? After all the same could be said of central government too!

Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

Was because it didn’t reflect ability to pay.

Yeah whatever. More like not wanting to pay.

Premier Icon jamesoz

Poll tax was a big chunk of change on apprentice money, well over my months wages then.

The riot in London was quite a thing to witness first hand.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

As a single man with no kids I don’t like paying council tax, especially as my flat is privately serviced! The council don’t collect my bins, clean my street or tend the park opposite. I don’t make use of the local school, play areas or anything else aimed at the traditional family unit for that matter but I still pay my way.

It’s not fair that I pay 3/4 of the bill (single person discount) that a family of 4 pay when they cost the council a lot more but that’s the way it is. Or if you’re the family living across the park from me they pay nothing as they’re all on benefits with 3 feral kids.

Bah.

Premier Icon Drac

Yeah whatever. More like not wanting to pay.

No, it was because it was an unfair amount per individual. it took a huge chunk out of my wage.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Aye, but it’s also “not fair” that the Queen pays only £2,500 or so for Balmoral Castle. While I doubt she uses many of the council services, it’s not like she can’t afford to pay more.

Premier Icon csb

You’ve moved from a relatively cheap dwelling in Edinburgh to a relatively expensive dwelling in Fife (compared to the average for the authority). So you are paying to be elite 😀

Premier Icon redmex
    Free Member

Speak to Tommy Sheridan, he can sometimes be contacted parked up in the woods late at night

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

One man’s unfair is another man’s freedom fighter.

Or something like that 🤔

Premier Icon jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t make use of the local school

So you don’t think you benefit from an educated society?

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

You can challenge the banding if you’re paying a higher band tax than similar properties in the area.

Be careful though, you don’t want to accidentally qualify for a higher band.

Premier Icon piemonster

Welcome to Fife btw

No one brags about living in Fife.

🖕 😆 Merry Christmas etc etc

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

So you don’t think you benefit from an educated society?

May I remind you that we live in Brexit Britain right now…

NOBODY is benefiting from an “educated” society…

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

No one brags about living in Fife

😂 kirkcaldy no less..the only reason I moved here is that an equivalent house in Edinburgh would be more than double the price!

I don’t for a minute think we should go back to the poll tax way of calculating, as I do agree that higher earners should pay more. On the flip side i do think it’s somewhat unfair that I’m paying 75% of the family of 5 across the street who, judging by the 2 50k audis on the drive, aren’t exactly short of a penny.

Didn’t really consider relative price of house in each location though…So again it makes sense that a similar priced house in a cheaper location would be higher tax band. Still don’t think it should be double but hey ho.

Premier Icon Sandwich

On the flip side i do think it’s somewhat unfair that I’m paying 75% of the family of 5 across the street who, judging by the 2 50k audis on the drive, aren’t exactly short of a penny.

Their choice was to live in a smaller house and drive expensive cars, yours is buy a bigger house to keep your bikes warm and safe (basically doing the Lord’s work). Try for a charity registration based on your good works with bikes.

Premier Icon Drac

Exactly Sandwich.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Edinburgh has always had low council tax rates offset by higher property and rental prices. Compared to Glasgow at any rate.

Banding is based on the sale price of the property when you buy it. This is put through a calculation to find the equivalent 1991 price and banded accordingly. MSE has all the details (as usual) and having done the calculations we proved we were a band above where we should have been, appealed and won.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Bear in mind if the appeal review shows that the banding is too low, your neighbours will hate you when the whole street gets uplifted…..

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Their choice was to live in a smaller house and drive expensive cars, yours is buy a bigger house to keep your bikes warm and safe (basically doing the Lord’s work). Try for a charity registration based on your good works with bikes.

No their choice was to not be a single occupant of the house and thus have to pay 100% of the council tax.

Premier Icon sockpuppet

As a single man with no kids I don’t like paying council tax, especially as my flat is privately serviced! The council don’t collect my bins, clean my street or tend the park opposite. I don’t make use of the local school, play areas or anything else aimed at the traditional family unit for that matter but I still pay my way.

But you do benefit from the result of the military, security services, police.

Theatres, art galleries, civic spaces, government, environmental agencies.

Hospitals, roads, infrastructure. A&E after your ill advised attempt mountain biking (which you chose to do so why should I pay for it) goes wrong.

It’s not all just schools and parks.

Premier Icon rs
    Free Member

Discussing sprawl… “They take up more space per person, and are more expensive to build and operate than any urban form ever constructed. They require more roads for every resident, and more water pipes, more sewers – more power cables, utility wiring, sidewalks, signposts, and landscaping. They cost more for municipalities to maintain. They cost more to protect with emergency services. They pollute more and pour more carbon into the atmosphere. In short the dispersed city is the most expensive, resource intense, land gobbling, polluting way of living ever built.” The Happy City

Don’t worry your bikes will offset all the bad stuff 🙂

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Sprawl may be perceived shite for environs….

Stacked living is shit for mental health /spread of disease/kids

Low cost though which is why our government is doing it’s best to get us in into it .

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.