Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bring a tear to a glass eye (Xmas Ad Content)
  • darthpunk
    Free Member

Searched and didn’t see it added, but it got a bit dusty in here this morning

Unless you frequent the Daily Heil where the comments are all “he looks like that Ukranian bloke” and “woke britain”

Harry_the_Spider

Dusty. Good stuff.

I think that the M&S one where Dawn French conjures up a table of food that nobody could possibly afford or eat misses the mark this year.

dyna-ti

Yeah, and the way she held onto her board like it was a comfort blanket.

scotroutes

But surely the Lord will provide? Isn’t that normal for birthday parties?

johndoh
    Free Member

As recently-approved foster carers ourselves (and this being our first Christmas with a placement), this one really brought it home to me. I have to admit that I had been (quite selfishly) concerned that it wouldn’t feel like a ‘normal’ Christmas with a relative stranger in the house but this advert has just reminded me to give myself a metaphorical slap.

IHN

I was all prepared to be a miserable, cynical bastard, and now look what you’ve done

*sniff

neilnevill
    Free Member

Good effort Johndoh! Absolute star!

The older I get the more I cry at stuff and that’s just an utter tear jerker!

matt_outandabout

Love it.

bigG
    Free Member

As a partner this one’s really hit home for me. It’s really hit the spot about what’s different between us, and any other retailer. Our purpose is about making the world a better place,and making enough profit to fairly reward partners. No more, no less.

I’m very proud to be part of the partnership today.

Big G
    Partner and long standing STW member.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yeah as a Dad to 2 x privileged teenage girls that made me think… well played JL..

However i thought the cover of Blink 182s song was pretty dire.. I’m sure Blink must have knocked out an acoustic version at some point?

a11y

I was all prepared to dismiss yet another typical Christmas advert as a pile of marketing ****, but then I decided to watch it. Loved it.

rOcKeTdOg

Well it’s not really making me buy anything from John Lewis, which despite the sentiment is the goal of all these adverts? It has made me look at suitable charities to donate to though so not totally a waste.

Do you think blink182 still get royalties?

towpathman

I want to (badly) learn how to skate now

revs1972
    Free Member

“he looks like that Ukranian bloke”

If Jonny Vegas and him had a love child………. 🙂

IHN

As a partner this one’s really hit home for me. It’s really hit the spot about what’s different between us, and any other retailer. Our purpose is about making the world a better place,and making enough profit to fairly reward partners. No more, no less.

This is how I feel about working for a high-street financial institution which has a similar, mutual not PLC, culture and purpose.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well it’s not really making me buy anything from John Lewis, which despite the sentiment is the goal of all these adverts?

I don’t think it is directly meant to make you buy from them in the same way a Safestyle advert is designed to make you pick up a phone, I say, pick up a phone. It’s more a brand awareness exercise so when you are next thinking about making a purchase, you’d decide to choose them over X, Y or Z because their values align with yours.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

@johndoh – massive respect. You deserve a pat on the back for sure.

johndoh
    Free Member

I can take very little of the credit – that lies almost entirely with my wife as I am just supporting her in doing something she really wanted to do.

lunge

Bloody lovely, really nice. And strangely, it’s just got very dusty in my office.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well done Mrs doh then, but you’re not dodging a ‘topv job dude!’

colonelwax
    Free Member

Cynical, manipulative nonsense every year. Well, that’s my usual attitude to these Xmas “event” adverts

As a middle aged, bad skateboarding, adoptive dad it really reminded me of my 2 kids moving in with us. I think it’s lovely.

Big respect to you Johndoh, and your family. I wouldn’t have my girls if it wasn’t for foster carers like you

funkynick

Another, really bad at skateboarding, adoptive dad here too… and it was very dusty earlier when I watched that ad…

And as others have said, we can’t thank the foster carers enough as me lad wouldn’t be with us without them… so big thumbs up johndoh…

CountZero

Lovely ad, big ups to @johndoe!

I want to (badly) learn how to skate now

I used to, there’s a Mindless longboard sitting right behind my right shoulder, propped against the wall, just waiting for me to ride it. Problem is, I have a pretty poor sense of balance*, coupled with a shonky knee that makes me wobble even more!

* I went out with a lovely lady once, who did karate and ballet, with great poise and elegance, and she used to gently mock me for my complete lack of grace and balance! With good reason, I hasten to add! 🤭

duncancallum

Music is puddles pity party.

Well worth a youtube of his work

DickBarton

Haven’t seen any Christmas adverts and now just seen 2 – Lidl and Aldi. Aware they are trying to show their large range of foods on offer, but how does Aldi square th volume of foods on a massive table…for 5 carrots that live in the house???

I’ll give that ad a watch once I’m the only 1 still up as I suspect I won’t be able to remain grumpy about Christmas adverts in November.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.