Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • brilliant white gloss paint
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Reading around and talking to a few people some gloss paints did/do turn a little yellow?

Is this still the case? are there any paints more or less prone?

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve recently glossed the upstairs of my house and whilst it hasn’t “yellowed”, it has significantly dulled after 3 months. I don’t hold much hope for the next 3 months.
    That was using Wickes solvent undercoat and Dulux high-gloss trade.

I hear that Dulux diamond gloss is meant to be pretty good, but its too late for me.

twang
    Free Member

Oil paints discolour (more so when in a dark room) but are tough and give a better finish whereas acrylics (water based) dont discolour but aren’t as tough… and acrylic gloss is proper shite

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

It was a problem when legislation forced manufacturers to reduce the VOCs in the paint but they are getting better at it now. Ask in a Dulux Decorator Centre.

mrmo
    Free Member

anymore comments please?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggshell from leyland/johnstone decorator centre.

justinbieber

Had it happen to us in a bad way with Dulux Satinwood White. Went cream in a matter of months.

Took up a claim with Dulux and got about £350 compensation and 5 litres of paint.

We were recommended to go for a water based paint as these apparently don’t yellow with age.

wwaswas

water based ones don’t yellow but never have that ‘glass like’ finish you get with the high VOC ones.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Man in Crown paint shops tells me the trick is gloss undercoat (oil based) and then water based on top

jonba
    Free Member

You cannot say that all water based will not yellow and all solvent based ones will (FWIW the resins in both are probably oil based). The reasons for yellowing are far more complex.

There was definitely a problem with dulux white gloss. It did yellow. However, this problem has since been fixed. There is a statement on the website. I think that you need the tins with the blue lids. The dodgy stuff (with white lids was recalled).

I have used both in my house and some has yellowed and the more recent stuff hasn’tI believe this issue was related solely to Dulux solvent borne gloss as the issue was with something they did to meet the change in VOC legislation.

I don’t like water based as it is generally harder to apply and doesn’t give as good a finish.

I work in paint, for the company that own dulux, but don’t deal with this type of product. All views are my own and come from experience of using the stuff in my own house. I have also formulated paints but generally 2k stuff for the indutrial market.

natrix
    Free Member

I used B&Q non-yellowing white gloss for all the woodwork in my house 7 years ago and there’s still no sign of yellowing, I’ve been really please with it. Unlike some own brand paints the B&Q stuff seems to be pretty good.

mrmo
    Free Member

@natrix, if it was 7 years ago i suspect the paint was not VOC2010 compliant?

pjm84
    Free Member

Dulux high-gloss trade

Snap. Did this last year and it has yellowed with the plain old High gloss white. The brilliant white version of the high gloss paint is fine though.

pingu66
    Free Member

Johnsons water based eggshell, not yellowed at all, got to do the whole bloody house in though now but hopefully that will be it for a while.

Before that it was like painting the Forth Bridge.

grum
    Free Member

While we’re here – Farrow and Ball paint worth the cash?

andyl
    Free Member

I am not clued up on domestic decorative paints but if it’s anything like urethane coatings than the old solvent based stuff will be aromatic and hence yellows. Water based stuff is generally a much more stable chemistry and won’t yellow.

I think a lot of the “water based doesnt go on as nice” comments come from people who are used to the old solvent based products. Personally I used to hate gloss and much prefer water based products. The mechanical performance of the water based stuff is getting significantly better and for varnish i won’t touch solvent based PU these days. Too smelly and yellows. Water based goes on well and can be very tough.

flip456
    Free Member

Personally I won’t use water based paints for wood work. In my experience they cover poorly and are difficult to achieve a decent finish with. Lately we’ve been using crown and gliden oil based undercoat and satin or eggshell top coat. Flats out nicely giving good results unlike water based products. Decent brushes are also key, try purdy sprigg elites 🙂
    Sorry not a fan of f and b either, over priced, poor coverage etc.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Painted 13 doors ( both sides = 26 sides) and frames, skirting boards and other woodwork, like stairs with Dulux non drip gloss a couple of years ago. This was one of their untested paints they released to the general public. This went cream coloured in 6 months. The whole house !! Took a claim with Dulux. They wouldn’t pay to have the house redone, but supplied me with £500 of paint vouchers we used at the local Brewers paint suppliers ( still got loads of it) and was their diamond white acrylic and £350 iirc in a cheque . Would have preferred them paying a decorator to redone it all, as was a ball ache to do it twice in a year.
    If I didn’t use the free paint, then a website for decorating (Ultimate Handyman) seem to think the Johnstone paint is the best and this is from decorators in the trade.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I use International Tile Paint for my glossy bits. Its a wee bit more expensive than your normal gloss, but it goes on nicely and doesn’t yellow at all. It als odries a bit quicker than normal gloss.

takisawa2

I’m too tight to buy Dulux anyway, but I now have another reason in my armoury of excuses. 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Spent a few years painting full time and many more in DIY mode.

1st off, why does anyone still use gloss paint indoors? It went out of fashion in the 80’s. only ever use the stuff on exterior woodwork (an exterior variant).

As for Dulux, had many bad experiences with this – satinwood and gloss oil based. Very thick consistency and rubbish opacity. How do they make such inferior paint that is so difficult to apply with good results!?! 3 coats on a white primed base before it looked acceptable – complete waste of my time waiting at least 24hrs between coats!

I’ve tried satinwood waterbased and it never flows, so you always end up with brush marks that spoil the end result.

My recommendation is for an oil based satinwood/eggshell by Johnstones – fantastic stuff, used many dozens of 2.5l tins of the stuff. It’s good to recoat within 4 hours in warmmish ambient temperatures. This makes this competitively priced paint far more commercially viable when on a price! Can’t be doing with wasting endless days waiting for inferior paint to dry, especially when you need an extra coat of the stuff to achieve results easily attainable with trade paint!

I once reluctantly tried a water based woodwork paint designed to refinish kitchen doors. A small tin of this Crown kitchen paint passed the light scrape fingernail test when freshly dried with flying colours. So my opinion of water based paints then changed, but this small time was 5 times the price of what I used most of the time..

Washable matt paint was good to apply as well. First coat gets absorbed, thinking you haven’t enough for the second coat. The second coat goes miles as the first coat absorbs next to no moisture.

I think for heavy traffic, oil based paints win hands down. Yellowing is unavoidable, but I find the eggshell and satinwood finishes less susceptible.

globalti
    Free Member

Wot he sed. Gloss is unfashionable indoors at the moment; you need a nice satin sheen on your woodwork. Anyway gloss shows up all the drips, imperfections and brush marks.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘brilliant white gloss paint’ is closed to new replies.