• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Brill! Map of London underground ghost stations
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Inspired by Sherlock yesterday, here’s a map of ghost stations. There used to a tube all the way to Windsor! No Sumatra unfortunately…

Link

br
    Free Member

There used to a tube all the way to Windsor!

There use to be a ‘service’; don’t confuse ‘tube’ with been underground.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

That is really cool; surprising what else you find lurking under the city too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_citadels_under_London

Not so sure you’ll find a map of those though? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

Some of those names are surely made up… “Brill”, “Shoeburyness” and “Ongar”… 😕 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Brill is near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, Ongar and Shoeburyness are in Essex – Ongar is not that far from Harlow and Shoeburyness is where you get to if you carry on east past Southend-On-Sea

JulianA
    Free Member

I read somewhere that a bit of the Post Office Underground Railway was being turned into a museum and that there might be rides available on a section of the line. I think that would be fantastic!

sugdenr
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member

Some of those names are surely made up… “Brill”, “Shoeburyness” and “Ongar”…

Really? Really?? FFS please tell me that was a Troll

martinhutch

For flatboy – first line of this…listen to the rest for more fun Essex names.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO_CT3mcKrM[/video]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No Hob’s Lane then… (Quatermass and the Pit)

100mphplus
    Free Member

I did a lot of work Btw 2000 – 2006 refurbishing most of the cold war bunker ‘cities’ below every major city in UK. They are massive in some cases.

Also been down a few of those lost stations, some are mini museums, last used as air raid bunkers in the war.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

No Sumatra unfortunately…

This was one of the more oblique references to the original books. ‘The Giant Rat of Sumatra’ is mentioned a handful of times when Holmes or Watson consider cases which have not been published. In the case of the ‘Giant Rat…’, it is said that the public are not yet ready for such a story. I’ve really enjoyed the way that Sherlock’s writers have referenced so many of the books to add texture to the modernised stories.

spectabilis
    Free Member

100mphplus – Member
    I did a lot of work Btw 2000 – 2006 refurbishing most of the cold war bunker ‘cities’ below every major city in UK. They are massive in some cases.

More info please….what’s under Brum?

hamishthecat

I have heard it suggested that one or more of the Post Office tunnels could be developed for use as cycle routes. Not sure it would be feasible in terms of ventilation and access to the surface though without massive investment.

TheWrongTrousers

If you’re interested in underground spaces, have a Google for Subterranea Britannica

Defender
    Free Member

That’s a superb site if you’re interested in the subject.
    For London Underground Stations specifically try this one:-
    http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/
    There are also several books on the subject. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

For sugden, nope no troll, just some comedy names. No doubt when I discover why I should have heard of each of those places I will feel suitably ashamed.

Sandwich

Strand appears to be missing from the map. Station still visible at street level just no longer used.

Defender
    Free Member

@ Sandwich, it’s shown as Aldwych station which was it’s name when it closed in 1994.

mr_average
    Free Member

Strand was renamed Aldwych – which is on the map.

aP
    Free Member

A number of those stations are shown with incorrect links – Hounslow Town and Aldwych/ Strand particularly.
    The RMG MailRail tunnels aren’t suitable for converting into cycle routes, the tunnels are quite small and the access points too limited (I was down in them early last year).
    Surely this map should also include the proposed Northern Line express routes (otherwise known as the Deep Level Shelters under Clapham South, Clapham North, Stockwell etc etc).
    Actually Stockwell has been rebuilt twice since starting as a C&SLR station, there used to be an underground depot with cable hauled incline just to the southwest of it.
    Green Park was rebuilt and the original station entrance is still findable, as was Knightsbridge and Old Street.
    When I have the chance I’ll dig some more information out as I’ve been into quite a number of disused shafts and tunnels over the last 10 years.

pjt201
    Free Member

surely everyone knows where Ongar is from the greatest headline ever. When the library shut, Private Eye (i think) ran with “Book lack in Ongar”…

and that map is missing the Strand station for one…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The map is also missing the Hampstead Heath station, I think they were going to call it Hampstead Road or Bull & Bush. It was the deepest station on the underground network.

I was told a story by an elderly gentleman a few years ago that during the war they used the station to store various types of munitions.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Re shoeburyness…. the district line runs, overground, along side the C2C main line (out of Fenchurch street) from bromley-by-bow to the end if it’s line at Upminster. The C2C line then continues east to the end of it’s line atSshoeburyness

So Shoebury is still a used station… especially by all those p1ssed up city boys and girls who fall asleep on the “Vomit Comet” or the last train on a thrusday/friday night and find themselves woken up by the guard at the end of the line.

Never quite made it the Shoeburyness myself…. Got as far as Westcliff once

TheWrongTrousers
    onandon
    Free Member

Just ordered this book. Necropolis: London and Its Dead

Here

How the underground pits full of corpses prevented the underground being built to their original plans.

100mphplus
    Free Member

spectabilis – The complex under Brum, (baring MOD installations under London that we were not allowed to go in), was the biggest we saw in the UK.

There was litterally a village down there sealed from the world above, living spaces, sports halls, power stations, cinema, hospital, stores… etc..etc. Main entrances around the bullring and was on numerous levels and extended for miles in all directions. Further accesses along and at the extremeties of the tunnels.

We refurbished the upper levels for BT to use as storage and cable routing.

We refurbished some tunnels in London and in one particular installation, one of our boys found a door along the tunnel and on opening to investigate was confronted by an armed soldier and a whole pile of doodoo hitting a fan when he came back to the surface 😆

avdave2

Shoeburyness is where you get to if you carry on east past Southend-On-Sea

Shoeburyness is where you get to to if you keep going east till you fall off the edge of the world. I lived there and worked on Foulness for 7 years, the only place on the planet where there is a 24 hour 365 day a year headwind no matter which way you are facing!

aP
    Free Member

Finally watched it last night. The 2 stations are definitely Aldwych/ Strand and Charing Cross disused Jubilee Line escalators & platforms (as seen in the last Bond film and Fast & Furious 6).
    I think I know where the inclined shaft is, not sure about the vertical shaft, could be Stockwell?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Brill! Map of London underground ghost stations’ is closed to new replies.