Brighton to Crawley commute – doable? Bike options?

Home Forum Bike Forum Brighton to Crawley commute – doable? Bike options?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brighton to Crawley commute – doable? Bike options?
  • Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Which end of Brighton are you? Dyke road or Ditchling?

I’ve got a (Dyke road side) loop that comes back from Poynings towards Pease Pottage (mostly B roads) and that’s about 30km and hilly at the end.

Downs link would probably be the easiest but then you still need to get from Southwater/Horsham to Crawley (I do North Horsham to my office near the leisure park in 30 mins).

Taff

My mate did the ride quite a bit with the police but mainly for a few drinks on the front. He said it was good but not sure of the route

mu3266

Easily doable route, only real challenge is the big hill climb just after the handcross garden centre. Use to do it often to get fit.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

There’s a Brighton to Crawley cycle route on quieter roads. Not sue I’d want to do it in the dark on a winters morning/evening though.

James_D

I do hove to Crawley once a week, well I struggle between November and February but there are some great routes, I would recommend the ride it’s a really good one.

This is my normal route that I do on a road bike, I also have a locker at work so don’t take anything with me which really helps.

http://app.strava.com/rides/22508351#z2284|2328

dexterbexley

Good to hear it’s doable on a semi regular basis. Thanks James for that Strava route, that will be really helpful.

So for a bike: Stick with a 29er Honzo with slicks and 1×10 or buy a Tricross/Secteur etc. LBS said make sure whatever I get has room for proper mudguards which seems like good advice.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

James_D – Member
    I do hove to Crawley once a week, well I struggle between November and February but there are some great routes, I would recommend the ride it’s a really good one.

This is my normal route that I do on a road bike, I also have a locker at work so don’t take anything with me which really helps.

That’s pretty much the route I was talking about, except I go left at Warninglid towards Horsham, how hilly is it between there and crossing the A23?

I’d agree with your LBS. Proper mudguards and good rack(s) would be an essential for that, as would good lights. Am going to assume you’ll have shower/changing at work?

Panniers – Ortlieb or Altura with drybags for the important stuff!
    Lights – My rear tip is to have a Moon Shield 60 on the helmet and then the brightest non-flashing you can find mounted to the rack (Cateye do a great rack mount for theirs)

dexterbexley

Showers, good lights, bag ets all take care of – but a grand or so on a new bike or mod the honzo, that is teh question.

Probably going to do this ride twice a week realistically…

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

dexterbexley – Member
    So for a bike: Stick with a 29er Honzo with slicks and 1×10 or buy a Tricross/Secteur etc. LBS said make sure whatever I get has room for proper mudguards which seems like good advice.

You’d enjoy it more* on a road bike.

*Hate it less

James_D

Lifer, the route isn’t too bad. Once you drop down from warninglid there is a longish climb into handcross but it’s not very steep. From handcross it’s a long drag to pease pottage but a good section to test the legs!

Would agree about good lights. I have had a set fail once and had to do handcross to hove in the dark which was “interesting” even on the cycle path.

dexterbexley

I wanted the new Secteur disc and was told by LBS (Spec dealer) to go for a Tricross as it would a) stand up to the abuse of crappy b-roads and b) take mudguards whilst not being that much slower. Any opinions on the road vs. gravel bike/commuter choice?

dexterbexley

This is becoming an excuse to nerd out and buy a new bike…Kona Rove or Trek look nice

dexterbexley

My office is potentially moving from Brighton (where I live) to Crawley, about a 25 mile ride on b roads and bike paths.I’m trying to look on the bright side by turning it into a riding challenge to get me fit.

Anyone on here do this commute, or similar? I undersand it’s a rough surface in parts and I’m looking at an hour and half at least (according to LBS).

Any bike recommendations for a bike load of b roads, bike paths and puddles? I’m thinking of slicks and gears on my 29er ss (Kona Honzo) but my lbs recommended something like a Tricross. I’ve also seen the Kona Rove and Trek Crossrip, both of which look pretty nice.

All thoughts welcome. My current commute is about 5 miles through national park with singletrack and road alternatives, so it’s a change but one I’m looking forward to (I think).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brighton to Crawley commute – doable? Bike options?’ is closed to new replies.