Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog – worth a go?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

A search of the forum shows the Big Dog has been popular in previous years and it’s only a few miles away so I’m tempted to enter. Anyone done it and care to give me an idea how hard it will be for someone who can’t remember ever riding six hours without a pub stop? As a solo are you allowed to leave the circuit for a pint/chips and return for another lap or two?

Looking at the entries so far I could enter as a retro pair or solo female and be on the second step of the podium 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sounds like you should be going to the Big Bike Bash instead. We have a beer table at the road crossing in case anyone gets thirsty mid lap.

http://www.BigBikeBash.co.uk

Based in the New Forest so not that far either

JoB
    Free Member

yes, it’s definitely worth a go, one of the friendliest and fun events out there

it’s as hard as you want to make it (although the course is quite up/down hard and technically tricky in places), as a soloist you can do what you want want regards to laps and time out, it could almost be encouraged to stop for a pint and some chips if the sun’s out

Rubber_Buccaneer

Oh dear god it’s BBB promotion time again 🙂

You are right though, I should give the bike bash a try.

DaRC_L

JoB + 1 – I shall be going back to beast myself and see if I can actually manage 1 lap per hour

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just what I wanted to hear JoB, sounds perfect. I ride in Stanmer now and then so have a rough idea what is likely to be involved regards nice singletrack and going up and down that bloody hill multiple times.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

see if I can actually manage 1 lap per hour

I think if I completed six laps I’d be happy enough….or maybe crocked 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just spotted the dates don’t clash so you can do both!

See you at the bar

Rubber_Buccaneer

WCA I did follow your link and check the dates. I will ask my partner whether she fancies a weekend in the New Forest.

benji
    Free Member

You can do a lap then a pint then another lap, as long as you exit and reenter at the correct place that’s fine. It’s when it turns into cheating then there’s an issue.

sirromj

Did it in 2014, 6 hour solo, was my first race longer than 1hr. With hindsight I didn’t train enough. I finished it, but felt destroyed, including appetetite… so went to a Greek restaurant in Brighton for the worst greasiest meal I’ve never eaten. Luckily fractured my wrist last year so couldn’t enter again. Probably do it again this year, this time more effort training.

mccraque

The most fun event in my MTB calendar, although I do hate leaving the arena to do another lap when such quality 80s cheese is being spun by the DJ.

Based on the last couple of years you can nail a solo lap in anything from 26mins to an hour. You can leave the course to pop to the gents, look at the trade stalls or whatever! Just do what you can and have fun.

Assuming it’s a similar course to the last 3, some fun rooty singletrack, some nice climbs for the lycra boys and a great drop back into the arena for the end.

theotherjonv

and a great drop back into the arena for the end.

Particularly given it’s a ‘short’ 6 hour race; ie: what isn’t done before the 6 hours is up doesn’t count. Last lap finished at 6:00:01? Tough shit, chalk it off.

Which means you get to watch people hooning down the hill trying to get in in time and then celebrate / take the piss straight after, based on whether they made it or not. I know in a ‘long’ 6 or 12 hour there’s also a chase to get in in time, but if you do then usually it means you’re buggering off for another lap (otherwise why bother trying so hard) or if you don’t, you’re just happy you finished anyway.

There’s no finer example of schadenfreude than that of watching a bloke empty himself for no reason whatsoever, when he could have spent the last 40 minutes refuelling at the excellent food stalls and getting in line for the beer 😉

wwaswas

I’ve actually found pairs is better than solo. You get to enjoy the ‘event’ as well as the riding.

Having said that riding solo and planning not to just ride for a solid 6 hours would be good.

If you’ve ridden Stanmer you’ll know what it’s like but I’m always surprised how knackering riding it at full gas for a lap/40 minutes is when I can do a 2 hour Sunday ride there and not really notice it.

Anyway, do it – you’ll have fun.

DrP

Good remindering OP…DrP is on the guest list… 🙂

DrP

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve never done it solo but have ridden pairs, threes and one lap (and marshalled) over the years. Pairs is great because you don’t have to pace yourself to survive 6 hours, you can go at 40 minute flat out pace, then have a rest and repeat. Threes I kept getting itchy wanting to ride before I seized up!

DaRC_L

With hindsight I didn’t train enough.

I think I can put that tag on every event I’ve ever done 😆

bigdaddy

Awesome fun event, I’ve done it 3 times and love it. It be tough though, and I echo what theotherjonv says about the finish – (if it’s not you they’re talking about) its a good laugh doing the count down to the will they won’t they make it.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Narrow bars and mind the tree of Doom

theotherjonv

mind the tree of Doom

Don’tlookatitdon’tlookatitdon’tlookatitdon’tlooka…..

Bugger.

windyg
    Free Member

Mate did this last year 6hr solo and said it was great event I didn’t have one bad word to say about it. I am considering entering this year.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m in, the only member of the newly formed and highly exclusive Walberton Launderette Cycle Team 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden a single lap of the race and I’ve only managed to miss one year IIRC.
    I am the official unoffical car park beatch to the stars. I got promoted last year to solo parking. Either that or they wanted me further away from the main entrance.
    Splendid atmosphere and so well organised.
    Prizes are off the scale as well. I got to bag them last year and was gobsmacked at was was being given away.
    Tim

thomthumb
    Free Member

visited a couple of times and had fun. rode last year for the first time, and had an even better time.

course is one of the better courses i’ve ridden; so much fun.

I was hoping to do 6 hours this year, but got a wedding….

wwaswas

timbur hates Jaffa Cakes so no one should take him any to nibble on when carrying out his car herding duties.

theotherjonv

I’m tempted to volunteer to marshall this year given i’ve enjoyed the event a few times in the past and don’t feel very racey any longer. Who should i contact?

wwaswas

If you do Facebook or Twitter they have accounts on both.

[edit] also there’s a contact us lkink on this page for entries but they can forward, I’d imagineL http://www.brightonbigdog.com/details/

slimjim78
    Free Member

Who wants to join quite probably the slowest team of the event?

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Yeah man i’m in! Although was hoping for 2nd from last tbh 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog – worth a go?’ is closed to new replies.