Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 441 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014
  • Paceman
    Free Member

darkcyan – Member

I’d be worried in the wet on those fat tyres!

You’re right, it could be tight when we’re overtaking you on Saturday 😉

JRTG
    Free Member

Is it the same as 2011, where it’s up the field before heading into the woods onto the fire road, but going up and left instead of right and back down?

Not quite, you go up the field and into the first track in the left, at the top of that, turn right, then down at the first decent, left at the bottom , then left on to the main track and up to the beginning of the normal final decent. Clear enough :-). If not come along Thursday as I’ll be showing people round as part of the Velo Cafe ride.

muggomagic

Went over yesterday and followed the 1st half of the route, but as my garmin is bloody useless at following a course I ended up having to keep stopping and checking the map on my phone instead, which after a while got pretty annoying. So just did a bit of Singletrack and made my way home.

We’ll be along Thursday. See you then.

p7rich
    Free Member

Rode it last night. It’s OK. Definite improvement on last year…but not as good as it was before that. Little/no features, just singletrack and fireroad. Won’t be Big Dog for me again until they reintroduce the final descent that takes you to the bomb hole. Fingers crossed for a dry day Sat.

JRTG
    Free Member

See you Thursday! Even I find it tricky to get the right cut through and I’ve ridden it loads.

wwaswas

I’ll be there Thursday as well.

Making tractor tyre noises on the Tarmac.

JRTG
    Free Member

Wwaswas, ace, looking forward to it!

mccraque

Just ridden a chunk of the course as part of my commute.

It’s in superb condition. I saw one puddle in the whole of the woods. Figners crossed it stays that way and the sun gods are with us on Saturday.

Can’t wait.

grievoustim
    Free Member

yep – just rode a couple of sections of the course and its incredibly dry considering the recent rain

mccraque

@grievoustim – wasn’t you going the other way in blue and white was it?

grievoustim
    Free Member

nope – I was in green

Ride was cut short unfortunatley due to technical issues

muggomagic

I was really surprised how grippy it was yesterday (even with the x kings on) as I got over there about an hour after the rain had stopped. Think we’re due more rain Thursday, but Friday and Saturday are meant to be dry. Fingers crossed as a dryish course makes a big difference to the enjoyment of the big dog. I remember the carnage of 2010.

JRTG
    Free Member

Had our best result in 2010 as everyone else gave up 🙂

wwaswas

I’m hoping for just enough moisture to give 4″ tyres a bit of an advantage on the roots 🙂

muggomagic

Had our best result in 2010 as everyone else gave up

I had a great result in 2010. No shelter so walked up to the swan and got p***ed waiting for the others to finish.

Paceman
    Free Member

JRTG, I’m planning to join you for the ride on Thursday evening. Would it be ok to meet you at Stanmer (at the main entrance at 7ish maybe??) as this would be much more convenient for me? I’m happy to wait there until the group arrives.

Cheers

Paceman

P.s. Will be on a sparkly green Surly Krampus which is is hard to miss 😀

rewski
    Free Member

@deetec – I do have one going spare, I’ve sent you an email.

sarpullido
    Free Member

On a waiting list at the moment…Maybe I’m lucky.
    Never participated at this event before.

myti
    Free Member

Agree with Rich the course looks better than last year but could be sooo much better…they should let the local trail fairies choose the course! I know they have constraints from council and marshaling aspects but they could have thrown in the full decent for some end of lap adrenaline. Anyway still looking forward to it and the after party should be good this year!

spooked
    Free Member

Rode most of it last night. Got absolutely soaked and then fell off.

I predict carnage….

Paceman
    Free Member

spooked – Member

Rode most of it last night. Got absolutely soaked and then fell off.

Stanmer takes no prisoners when those roots get an unexpected soaking. Conditions there change quickly though, particularly in the wind so if tomorrow’s dry we should be ok. Hope there was no damage to self or bike Spooky.

A couple of videos from last year to enjoy and motivate…

[video]http://youtu.be/Sk7ovyxPWsw[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/nAEIcIfQtds[/video]

wwaswas

Myti – they do let some of the local trail fairies choose the course 🙂

A few new bits have been cut especially.

They have to have a course with no cross overs, that can be marshalled with relatively few people and that British Cycling declare as safe and OK for racing – as you say, not an easy job in that space.

Riding it tonight and heavy rain is forecast. Looking forward to it 🙂

gary

Rode most of it last night. Got absolutely soaked and then fell off. I predict carnage….

So you’re saying I really ought to change the Nanoraptor that is on the back of my bike right now 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

Paceman, wwaswas and I are coming on the cafe run. Will call you later when we are on the way

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Tim, that would be great. I’m assuming the group will be heading along Lewes Road so I’ll wait down at the Coldean corner.

See you later, I think Darkcyan’s coming too,

Paceman

P.s. It’s raining heavily here at the moment 🙁

c_klein87

is the course not running over the bridges this year? I liked that section, better as a descent than a climb. First year not solo’ing so I wont miss out on cake, i’ll be representing Strada wheels, trying to pretend I’ve recovered from bonty 24hr…

chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk/

JRTG
    Free Member

Loads of Q’s to answer!

Paceman, yes we will be at the entrance by about 7pmish

MYTI Course was designed by the local trail fairies 🙂 wwaswas says it all, not as simple as it at first seems

C_klein87 we all love that bit too, maybe in the next years? Good to have some variety and there are some cracking new bits in it this year too.

JRTG
    Free Member

Forgot to say, the course is still up on our website overthebarblog.com

jimification
    Free Member

Rode it last night in the rain (please sign my petition for performance-related pay for the Met office!). Sketchy but fun – Eyes were on stalks looking out for all the wet roots in the semi-darkness.

Good idea diverting the trail half way down the steep descent btw – that was pretty spicy to ride down in the slop with that magnetic tree waiting at the bottom.

I think the 2014 course is a great layout given the design brief and area constraints but for me it doesn’t quite compare with the “classic” 2012 course…sorry guys 🙁 Of course it’s hard to tell when not racing but as much as people hate Badgers, the Coldean climb etc. I think those distinctive trail features are part of the USP of Big Dog.

I also think those last 3 descents of the “classic” (SCOHB I think they’re called on Strava) made for a killer finish to a lap. I know it’s very difficult to overtake on those sections but if that’s the issue, maybe a few of us locals can create some alternate lines to make those 3 runs a more viable finish for next year?

That said, I’m really looking forward to seeing the new course come to life in the race and a big thanks to you guys who have already done lots of hard work and created some new trails in the process.

spooked
    Free Member

Cheers Paceman. Only damage is a numb right buttock. Not to sure what to make of that really.

Hoping for sunshine!

JRTG
    Free Member

Whoop! About to head out in the rain 🙂 I love riding when it’s wet

smatkins1
    Free Member

Can someone tell me how registering on the day works.

I assumed I would have received an email telling me about this but I’ve not received anything and my log in for the xc racer site doesn’t seem to work. I’m not having any luck resetting my password or them responding to my attempts to get in contact with them.

I’m getting abut worried about this now.

gary

Can someone tell me how registering on the day works.

Turn up, sign on, collect number etc.

http://www.brightonbigdog.com/details/

I’m getting abut worried about this now.

Relax 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Heading out for Stanmer now, there are big grey clouds overhead, bring on the rooty fun 😆

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Well it was slippery coaching there this morning in the rain, after this evenings rain it should make the tyre choice interesting, I’m going for the black ones I have fitted…..

muggomagic

I’m going for the black ones I have fitted…..

Controversial.

Good ride tonight. Looking forward to Saturday.

JRTG
    Free Member

Great ride, we had well over 20 people and other groups were out too. Very slippy just the way I like it, really looking forward to it now. Hope my guiding was up to scratch, we only lost Matt a few times….

Agree with the tyre choice, black ones are the best (unless you have some tan walled turquoise 90’s ones, they rule over everything).

Paceman
    Free Member

Thanks JRTG, great guiding with a large group over a tight course. You managed to shepherd us very well I thought, and what a friendly bunch of people 😀

Conditions we’re ok I thought and should be even better by Saturday lunchtime. I like some of the new lines cut for the race and overall the course makes really good use of a relatively small srea of the park. A good mix of climbs and downhill and some techy sections which will be rideable for the vast majority and safe for the rest. Despite the loss of the final downhill into the bomb hole I think it’s the best course for the last couple of years. Thank you to the organisers in advance, I’m really looking forward to Saturday.

Across the group last night were the whole range of tyres from skinny fast-rolling summer rubber to tractor-size fat tyres and everything in between. The course was manageable and fun for all so I wouldn’t get too hung up on tyre choice. Race day outfit and accessories are far more important 😉

I also seem to remember TimP agreeing to ride a lap tomorrow on his cross bike 😆

TimP
    Free Member

I, errr, lost it on the way to work? The dog had also eaten most of it anyway, and wwaswas didn’t make the wheels round, the back one is mostly square. Sorry was mostly square.
    I am also developing a strong allergy to tyres less than 33mm wide.

TimP
    Free Member

Oh and check out who is 4th fastest on the lap at the moment…

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014’ is closed to new replies.