Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Brighton big dog 2017
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

This is about half a mile from Stanmer: http://www.housedean.co.uk/

and is full. Will have a search…

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a campsite to stay at?

Slightly further afield is: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1593 Washington.

15/20mins drive to Stanmer, plus Steyning MTB trails a short ride away..(if BBD doesn’t give you your fill).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If I’m going that far may as well drive back to London – the reason to stay in Brighton for the night is for beer and party…

wwaswas

The caravan club one in the East of the city is quite good – not too far out.

Yak

Is the course the same as last year, barring some A/B lines on the finish? Looks similar, but I can’t quite remember.

wwaswas

Pretty much the same, yes. Certainly the major climbs!

Painey
    Free Member

The caravan club one in the East of the city

There’s a pop-up one of these in Wild Park at the moment.

The A/B line at the end, I presume one goes down “derelict downhill”? Could be fun!

Yak

Nice! Thought it was great last year. Solo then. Team this year so I can give it the beans a bit more. Although less fit and a bit heavier….

wwaswas

Could be fun!

I think I’d pick the original Big dog DH – one pileup on derelict DH would be a major delay!

muggomagic

As wwaswas says, derelict is probably slower than the usual bombhole descent anyway and if you’re held up by a crash or just someone less familiar with it there’s no way to pass.
    Really want to get out and ride. This resting bollocks is no fun at all.

DrP

Seen the route…can’t remember a thing..but I’m famous for my terrible navigation and memory of trails…!

I’ve the same bars as last year, so they should fit between trees..

DrP

chiefgrooveguru

It looks from the map like A line is actually straight down the steep chalky fireroad to the left of Derelict Downhill – which would certainly be fast! If it’s actually down DD then it’s definitely slower than the usual Big Dog descent.

adsh
    Free Member

Being terminally indecisive on attendance. Head says no, heart says yes.

So conditions aren’t FS wrecking mud then?

wwaswas

Very little mud yesterday – it was more just slithery, My boots weren’t at all muddy after I walked the course.

It’s warm and sunny with a bit of a breeze currently which will be drying it further. Still showing light rain for this evening but I doubt it’ll make a huge difference.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Now wondering – 29er hardtail or 140mm full sus? what’s the course like?

Painey
    Free Member

So conditions aren’t FS wrecking mud then?

Not in the slightest. It will be a bit slippery in there but that’s because it’s a firm surface with a wet top on it and plenty of roots, it’s not boggy mud. Bit of a shame as Stanmer has been running so well for months. I was planning on riding the fat bike this year as well.

wwaswas

I’m using the Fat FS bike for my first lap but taking a HT 29er too for when/if the roots dry…

adsh
    Free Member

Many thanks – FS lower geared but currently ron/ralph……….

wwaswas

From FB:

“Stanmer trails are currently looking in very good shape for tomorrow.”

DrP

Are you really taking 2 bikes??!! Captain posho there!!

I might let a bit of air out of my tyres if it’s slippy…. ’tis all!

DrP

wwaswas

Well I wanted to have a go on the fat bike but couldn’t face 4 or 5 laps on it 🙂

Weather means you’ll be able to wear your go faster vest again this year too!

DrP

You reckon it’s “sun’s out guns out” weather…. I love that vest….might wear that, or an even scabbier one!

DrP

wwaswas

an even scabbier

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

This might be important (from the BigDog Website):

WATER – Due to the Stanmer Pavilion burning down their is no water on site. Please make sure you bring your own supply

wwaswas

thanks Simon – It’s been like that for 4 or 5 years I think. The whole park is being refurbished over the next few years so it may be that this changes in future…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Come on then – bike recommendations – do I take the 140mm Helius AC sus bike or the 29 trail hardtail?

Are these lumpy rooty climbs that are going to be better on the sus bike or is it largely smooth?

Yak

29er for the speeeed.

wwaswas

29er if it’s significantly lighter, it’s a long lap with quite a large overall height gain.

I’m taking the fatty but only going to ride if it’s still slippery on the first lap otherwise I’ll be on a 29er HT with ardents.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just back from a lap on my 29er with Ardents, was great.
    Apart from when I crashed, twice, and dented my frame (user error).

chiefgrooveguru

Apart from when I crashed, twice, and dented my frame (user error).

As long as it wasn’t part of you that dented it – my knee reshaped my top tube last year in Stanmer. Pedalled home one-legged (not easy on flats…)

DrP

It’s raining along the coast.. :/

DrP

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I have a piece of Ti holding my scaphoid together due to the Stanmer Tree o Doom and a Mrs M imposed lifetime ban from the BigDog

chiefgrooveguru

It’s properly raining here now and I’m within a mile of the course…

scrumfled
    Free Member

Just came home through stanmer, pishing it down 😉 Enjoy !!

pictonroad

Well. I nipped out to Hove earlier to see Sussex smash it in the T20.

It started raining as the last bowl was bowled, its now pishing it down.

It’s going to be Slippy! See you there, rubber side down, hopefully….

DrP

Think I’ll put the mudguards on this morning…. I’ve been up since 0430 with a vomiting child… hmm…fab!

DrP

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Enjoy, remember doing it the first year and it was so wet that bikes were trebling in weight with mud and clagg after just a lap. I also face planted in the grassy field right in front of the photographer!

slimjim78
    Free Member

As long as it wasn’t part of you that dented it – my knee reshaped my top tube last year in Stanmer.

Coincidentally, the bruised swelling just below my right knee corresponds well to the freshly kinked downtube..

chiefgrooveguru

It’s looking very pleasant out there! Currently putting Velux blinds up whilst my son sleeps but we might ride down in a bit – or possibly drive down with his balance bike as I still don’t trust my shoulder to hold up…

muggomagic

Great day. Course was surprisingly dry and rode brilliantly.
    Cracking day. Well done to all the organisers, dog handlers, everyone working in the tea tent (except the slacker TimP) and my fellow riders, especially those that had crashes and were injured. Heard there were a few bad ones. Hope they’re all ok and heal up quick.
    Roll on next year for the 10th anniversary big dog.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Brighton big dog 2017’ is closed to new replies.