Bridge of Orchy to Pitlochry

Home Forum Bike Forum Bridge of Orchy to Pitlochry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bridge of Orchy to Pitlochry
  • bigG

So I’ve got it into my head that I want to cycle from Bridge of Orchy to Pitlochry some time in the spring, but I’m struggling for a route. I can get from Rannoch Station to Pitlochry easily enough but it’s the bit to Rannoch that’s proving hard to work out.

Might be on a CX or a MTB, the last 30 miles look like road so maybe CX is better option.

Any suggestions?

Yep, bridge of orchy to the Auch Viaduct, under the viaduct and follow the landy track all the way up the glen to loch lyon, and all the way along the lochside to the Dam at the head of Glen Lyon. Down the glen (tarmac I’m afraid) to Innerwick, where you can head up through the Lairig Ghallabhaich into the Rannoch Forest. If you head west towards Cross Craigs you can then take the track which circles Leagag and descends towards Bridge of Gaur, which is quite a fun descent (for a landrover track). Then along the road to Rannoch.

ah, but of course if you’re heading for Pitlochry you wouldn’t need to go to Rannoch. I reckon all that ^ is CX able and would be a lot more fun than dragging the MTB round.

Or WHW to kingshouse glencoe then the track past the black corries lodge east to rannoch station

Did that route years ago – rather muddy to say the least for the middle section

Stunning walk though, think I saw 4 hen harriers when I walked it last, three of them all together then the mother by herself. Had forgotten there were other big birds of prey that weren’t buzzards or eagles!

So I’ve lashed this route together, seems like a reasonable mix. Any glaring problems? Local expertise always gratefully received

Thats pretty much the route as I described, although you could do some more off road by staying high and traversing west through Rannoch Forest, its almost all good quality track with a few bumpy bits near Bridge of Gaur.

That said, I’ve never done the Loch Lyon section, take some pics and post them when you’re done!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Auch Viaduct to Loch Lyon – easy track each side, undulating, stream crossings and some rockier bits, and a ‘blank’ 300m or so to connect over the watershed, South side of the Loch. (see Geograph – )
    Glen Lyon – bridge of balgie on road, then track to Invervar on south side.
    From end of Glen Lyon you can link the tracks from Dull/Weem across the Pitcastle estate to Pitlochry, but massive undulations and height gain just to off road….

Excellent, thanks. Planning this for the spring so will update once it’s done!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bridge of Orchy to Pitlochry’ is closed to new replies.