• This topic has 56 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Brian Blessed
  • Bunnyhop

Has been a guest this week on Ken Bruce’s ‘Tracks of our years’, BBC Radio 2.

One of the best guests ever. A full life lived with adventure, incidents, accidents and joy.

Worth a listen on BBC Sounds.

kelvin

Phew!

MoreCashThanDash

Phew

This.

Bloody hell bunnyhop, I was preparing for another 10 days of national mourning!

ton

i like him. would love to have a beer with him.

twistedpencil

Phew indeed.

Gordon’s Alive?!

And so is Brian.

simondbarnes

Phew!

Indeed!

Bunnyhop

Sorry chaps. I would have put R.I.P

Some of his tales from crashing in a light aircraft in South America to acting in mega Hollywood films are only believable because its Brian.

ernielynch

“There will be no funeral! Before I get too old and ill, I’ll go to South America and live among the Pemon people and meditate. When the time is right, they can throw my body into the volcano.”

Brian Blessed

MrOvershoot

JFC Bunnyhop I was gulping there!

Though my In Laws don’t like him as they said he was a bit of a “Don’t you know who I am” at an event they organised?

reluctantjumper

Was worried for a second there!

i like him. would love to have a beer with him.

I did, he’s brilliant company. One of the most decent people to have gone through the theatre I worked at.

Bunnyhop

MrOvershoot – I’m guessing most ‘lovey’s’ are a bit like that, but I can forgive him.

ocrider

Though my In Laws don’t like him as they said he was a bit of a “Don’tCAN’T YOU know HEAR WHO I AM?” at an event they organised?

Edited for relevance

martinhutch

Caught today’s one, complete with Tarzan yell and plane crash stories. It’s amazing how quick you turn over from R5L when Truss is giving a speech.

What a life!

Pook

Good South Yorkshire lad.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You mean BRIAN BLESSED!
    Absolutely love him., & like Ton, would love to have a pint with him.
    & Ton at the same time. 👍

MrOvershoot

Bunnyhop

MrOvershoot – I’m guessing most ‘lovey’s’ are a bit like that, but I can forgive him.

TBH they seem to take a dislike to people for some odd reasons. For one they have an aversion to Scottish people just because one Scottish chap who lived in their village spoke his mind!

I always got on with him but I guess if your born and bred South Gloucestershire outsiders seem a bit odd?

zilog6128

I saw his one-man show at the local theatre a few years back, bloody brilliant!

fossy

Bloody Hell, I was expecting an RIP, PHEW indeed.

funkmasterp

Not sure if it’s true but, I read that he was attempting to summit a mountain (possibly Everest) and turned back to help another climber who was in trouble. That, combined with his helping animals, makes him bloody brilliant in my eyes. Also Flash Gordon.

stretch…
    Free Member

Bloody hell @bunnyhop – please can you edit the title!

@funkmaster I think he had a couple of attempts at Everest with HK/ Jagged Globe, apparently a competent mountaineer and very good company on the hill (as you would expect!)

Bunnyhop

Sorry stretch, too late to edit, but as mentioned I would have put a R.I.P.

Great that so many of you have actually met him.

funkmasterp

Just googling the Everest thing and instead found out that he:

Delivered a baby in a park in the 60’s

Collapsed on stage whilst performing King Lear in 2015. Got up, patted his chest, gave a thumbs up and finished the show.

He’s the oldest man to trek to the North Pole and, according to the man himself, punched a Polar bear in the face.

scotroutes

His HIGNFY appearance was supreme. Especially the full, extended version

ernielynch

Delivered a baby in a park in the 60’s

That was probably when he was a uniformed copper with the rapid response unit Z-Cars.

Rich_s

The tarzan call this morning was utter genius. He’s well above Attenborough in the national treasure stakes!

timb34
    Free Member

Phew as well..

His much-awaited appearance on Richard Herring’s RHLSTP podcast lives in my memory as being peak Brian Blessed. Minutes of rambling yet fascinating stories veering all over the place and finishing with a mildly concerned ‘did that answer your question’.

jp-t853

I am getting to meet him in a couple of weeks, my heart sank for a moment

didnthurt

His autobiography on Audible is a hoot, it’s also read by BB.

I have read though that his tales are a little tall at times.

I like him, not sure I’d want to share a tent with him.

squirrelking
    Free Member

He’s the oldest man to trek to the North Pole and, according to the man himself, punched a Polar bear in the face.

blessed bear

ernielynch

I have read though that his tales are a little tall at times.

Now I’m starting to doubt that he did punch a polar bear in the face.

kayak23

Was just listening to him the other day on a past episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage.
    Thankfully he’s well 😳
    National treasure.

johndoh
    Free Member

The two people (outside of family) I don’t want to die are Brian Blessed and Ozzy Osbourne.

And I agree with all the above – I thought this was going to be an obituary.

CountZero

Phew indeed.

Gordon’s Alive?!

And so is Brian.

Dammit! My heart sank when I saw the thread title! Personally, I think, come the nuclear holocaust, all that will be left are Keef Richards, Brian Blessed and cockroaches!

stingmered

I organised a big work annual dinner thing and we booked Brian Blessed as the after dinner speaker. I was fortunate enough to host him on our table and he was absolutely fantastic, so warm and engaging and a real raconteur. His passion for science, technology space shone through. He was of course slightly bonkers and his stories were amazing and as others have said only believable because it was Brian Blessed!

The cheer he got when he bellowed GORDON’s ALIVE! was incredible.

murf
    Free Member

I went to see him a good few years back when I was about 12 iirc, he was doing a talk about how he’d climbed the foothills of K2 or something like that. My Mum got tickets as I loved Flash Gordon 🙈
    All I remember was that he brought a huge longbow on stage with him, talked for 10 mins and then stormed off, throwing the bow across the stage.
    We thought it was part of the show so sat patiently. Turns out it wasn’t part of the show, he’d gone off in a huff as he wasn’t happy with the audience.

Never meet your heroes 🙈
    (Apart from Hans Rey 😁)

Cougar

He’s a stalwart of the geek con circuit, I’ve seen him ‘live’ a few times. The man’s a glorious maniac. He wanted to become an astronaut but NASA said “piss off you fat bastard” so he’s now a fully-trained Cosmonaut.

cookeaa

I might have to get that polar bear punch picture framed…

matt_outandabout

Now I’m starting to doubt that he did punch a polar bear in the face.

However I work with someone who has punched a polar bear in the face.
    Sadly the bear did a number on him too, the scars are impressive.

Bunnyhop

Ken Bruce (another national treasure) seems to be keeping Brian (slightly) under control. :O)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.