Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Brexit – when does the good stuff start?
  • The end (or at least, the beginning of the end) of the myth of British exceptionalism.

sobriety
    Free Member

The only benefit I’ve thought of is the recovery of the British seaside, as foreign holidays become more expensive, people will holiday there instead.

But it feels somewhat pyrrhic.

kerley
    Free Member

There is a clear benefit but you have to put yourself into the mind of a racist. I would guess around 50% of the country are racist in some way with around 10% extremely so.

The fact we can control who comes to live and work in the UK is a big thing to a racist as in theory you could stop everyone coming if you wanted to.

The fact that we need the immigrant workforce for the country to run and the overall immigration numbers won’t change much is irrelevant to them as them are not looking at that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scratch
    Free Member

Three pages in and the best reason so far is the vague possibility of having chips wrapped in newspaper…

I’ve heard ‘We’ll be able to get much better trade deals on our own, and it’ll lead to greater competition’ stated by friends.

Yeah, fair point, I imagine the US and China can not wait to give us some utterly astounding deals.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought America and China were just rubbing their hands together with gleeful excitement just awaiting the fire sale.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The fact we can control who comes to live and work in the UK is a big thing to a racist as in theory you could stop everyone coming if you wanted to.

Sadly, this is what I believe is the actual perceived benefit for most leave voters, too. They just want foreigners to disappear, and think they will do so after Oct 31st.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Brexit will be disruptive to the economy.

Which is code for people wil loose their jobs. People will loose savings and pensions. Some areas of the UK will experience economic hardship. People’s spending power will be reduced resulting in further loss to local business and then dropping tax revenue.

Yay!!!!

stevextc
    Free Member

Some old woman phoned James O’Brien sometime ago. One of her plus points to Brexit was we’ll be able to wrap our fish and chips in old newspapers again. Apparently the EU banned that. I don’t have the energy to fact check this nonsense any more

Fact checks take time … I found her other argument far weirder. (paraphrased)
    >”The EU stops Wetherspoons buying non EU beverages but now they can but from where-ever they like”
    >>James ‘O’ Brien – “but we are still in the EU”
    >”We voted leave so he can now source his drinks from elsewhere”
    >>James ‘O’ Brien – “but we are still in the EU and he is doing it presumably legally now”
    >”because We voted leave”
    >>James ‘O’ Brien – “but we are still in the EU – perhaps I’m not asking the right Q’s – if it is illegal (which I don’t think it is but I’m not an expert) then how he currently importing non-EU drinks”
    >”I’m not a clever business man like him, you’d need to ask him”

What is weird is I don’t think the woman was stupid, certainly not THAT stupid … but somehow she genuinely seemed not to get it.

This is something at the level of mind control from cults.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Brexit Impact study done by Pembrokeshire council.. the only potential positive they could come up with was there will be “reduced demand for services if population reduces”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-45044334

There would possibly be an increase in tourism for the area too.
    This may be offset if the Valero Refinery closes.
    Pembrokeshire voted 57% leave too….

P-Jay
    Free Member

I try to be balance when I think about this, there’s far too much tribalism going on, but really the only answer is “who knows?” because until the deal is done no one knows really.

You might argue “we’ll no longer be bound by EU law” but with our absolute veto power we’re not anyway, at the moment we can influence the EU, but they can’t impose anything on us if we really don’t want them to.

We won’t be paying in anymore, we do pay in more than we get back, that’s part of being a rich country in a club with poorer ones, but there’s not an economist worth their salt who’ll tell you that we won’t lose anyway because of the fall in GDP and tax rev.

For lots of people though it’s not economic or political, it’s more personal. They fear the EU has control over their day to day lives and they hate it. It’s xenophobia really. To a lot of people someone from France, or Spain, or heaven forbid Germany having a say on what measures they buy their milk in is horrible. Make no mistake, you might argue about all the real, tangible reasons why Brexit is a terrible idea, but they don’t care, they will pay the price for ‘sovereignty’ The Rees-Moggs and Farages of the world have whipped them up into a frenzy to influence them into making them millions and millions of pounds they didn’t really earn.

johnnystorm

eddiebaby

Will we be able to get rid of the foreign St George bit on the flag and come up with a proper symbol for England?

Time to re-instate St. Edmund!

null

bikebouy
    Free Member

The only benefit I’ve thought of is the bucket & spade British seaside few days away from t’mill, as foreign holiday firms collapse.

HTHs.

No-one will be able to afford a holiday, and your time away from the coalface of the office or cash in hand decorators will be 16hr days.

You have the Conservative “government” to blame for all this depression and utter mess.

Well done to those that voted Brexit and Contards.

See you at the jobcenter.

jekkyl

we won’t have those faceless bureaucrats at the €U telling us what size motors we can have in our vacuum cleaners!

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, but like everything else, we’ll make it to comply with the eu market because with no value left in the pound, we’ll have to export to neighbouring markets.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

From my experience leavers are most concerned with making foreigners disappear

Two friends I have who voted leave recently tried (independent of each other) to convince me about how bad all the foreigners were.

One of them even thought that once Brexit happened the government would go around the country rounding up all the foreigners, then send them back to where they came from.

kid.a
    Free Member

With the poor old Queen repeatedly getting dragged into things.

I was wondering, is she Leave/Remain??!

Cougar

She’s supposed to be impartial but I think it’s fairly obvious.

null

shermer75
    Free Member

Not many ‘vote leave’ voices on this thread

Northwind

forzafkawi

The benefit for me is when the remoaners finally STFU but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I for one plan at least a decade of saying “I told you so” and “This is all your fault”. You’ll have plenty of time to get used to it.

chewkw

Eh? Raw about what? Anarchy? Bureaucracy? Democracy? 😀

Milk

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t type?

BadlyWiredDog

One of them even thought that once Brexit happened the government would go around the country rounding up all the foreigners, then send them back to where they came from.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what Priti Patel has in mind given half a chance. Theresa May’s ‘Go Home’ vans were a sort of trial run for it, the end result will be like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on steroids. Or maybe on acid. Whatever we can still import efficiently.

From my experience leavers are most concerned with making foreigners disappear

That was Theresa’s take on it too. Hence her ‘red lines’ and the resulting shift towards a hard Brexit.

There’s an irony here though that the Remain campaign was relentlessly focussed on the negatives of leaving, ‘Project Fear’ if you like, rather than the positives, you know, minor stuff like having avoided continent-wide military conflict since 1945.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Hardly surprising is it ,  as it will take all of 5 seconds from posting to be labelled a racist gammon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Being intersted in and supportive of the anarchist principles of greater freedom, more equality, less hierarchy, accountable ‘authority’, and more effective democracy does not translate into wanting ‘anarchy’.

Why on God’s green earth would anarchy mean more equality? The more ‘freedoms’ people have the more the powerful take advantage of the weak and inequality increases. See USA for examples.

Leave are pissed off because they’ve felt for years that their concerns have been ignored.

I suspect they will continue to be ignored after Brexit. Even more so, because our country will become more right-wing, and ignoring the concerns of the disadvantaged is what right wingers do. But a lot of people don’t know that so they somehow vote Tory.

Vinte
    Free Member

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Hardly surprising is it , as it will take all of 5 seconds from posting to be labelled a racist gammon.

Could it just be that there is no good stuff?

garage-dweller

As I said above, the blue passports may look alright.

Rest assured someone is going to get rich off Brexit but I’d wager it won’t be most of the 52% and we’ll see a dismantling of some of the legislation that was driven by the EU and which we as a nation put into effect to protect the least well off parts of our population.

kelvin

There’s an irony here though that the Remain campaign was relentlessly focussed on the negatives of leaving, ‘Project Fear’ if you like, rather than the positives, you know, minor stuff like having avoided continent-wide military conflict since 1945.

Not true though, is it. When the positives were talked about, the devious shites that are now in government still painted it as project fear. When the exact point you make was raised, Johnson, the chief deceiver, turned it into a “World War III if we vote Leave” strawman, very successfully.

willard

Someone has said it previously on this thread, but that is the main reason that the current power holders will win. Everything, literally everything, that you can say against leaving, can be countered by either talking loudly and pretending not to listen, by mistruths or by saying ‘project fear’.

It would be possible to present incontrovertible fact in a public arena and it would still be dismissed and turned about by one of the three above. Trump does pretty much exactly the same thing. The truth simply does not matter any more, it is all just what message you can sell.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Certainly I remember news print transferring onto fish and chips as a child and I’m not that old.

I remember eating fish & chips directly off some Page 3 boobs in the 80’s.

It’s a disgrace that you can’t do that today !

kerley
    Free Member

I suspect they will continue to be ignored after Brexit. Even more so, because our country will become more right-wing, and ignoring the concerns of the disadvantaged is what right wingers do. But a lot of people don’t know that so they somehow vote Tory.

They don’t know it because they have been fooled for the last 40 years into thinking Tory government, Brexit etc,. is good for them. They don’t have the initiative or intelligence to question it, research it, discuss with others etc,. This has been used to the Tories advantage and they are doing it more and more.
    Not really sure what is going to stop it as when it gets even worse for them they will just be told more Tory lies.

Dickyboy

You’re welcome to visit my head office anytime you like – my boss reconned that apple moving to battersea was a brexit bonus and quite literally thumped his chest as he said made in Britain for Britain, we are based nr Mansfield…

welshfarmer

Does the “tearing up of the traditional BIG 2 political parties with the (hopefully) emergence of a new type of politics in the UK”, count as a Brexit benefit? Let’s hope so. Something good has to come out of this shitstorm.

richmars

We’ll be able to mark the products my company make with the new UKCA mark, instead of CE. We’ll still need CE in Europe, and no-one knows what standards we’ll need for UKCA, but I would be very surprised if they’re not the same as the current EU Directives, re-written with a blue cover.

So we’ll have to find space for an extra mark, which will mean the same as the other one.

kerley
    Free Member

Does the “tearing up of the traditional BIG 2 political parties with the (hopefully) emergence of a new type of politics in the UK”, count as a Brexit benefit?

it would do but I expect after Brexit is done (in regards to this bit and the fact most people will consider it done) it will be back to 2 party as Brexit will no longer be a dividing issue.

tjagain

Its not been 2 party for a decade – since the SNP started winning serious numbers of seats.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I remember eating fish & chips directly off some Page 3 boobs in the 80’s.

So you’re telling me in the process of handling your cod piece you got your batter all over a page three girl?

Its not been 2 party for a decade – since the SNP started winning serious numbers of seats

Sorry to rain on your parade but they are an irrelevance until they stand (and win) in enough seats to threaten the main two, so long as they only stand in Scotland they will never actually matter in Westminster even if they won every seat they put forward a candidate for. (unless the current two party monopoly collapses and they’re able to form a meaningful part of a coalition government)

kerley
    Free Member

Sorry to rain on your parade but they are an irrelevance

Agree. They are similar to Lib Dems in their prime – was still really a 2 party system even then.

mattyfez

You’re welcome to visit my head office anytime you like – my boss reconned that apple moving to battersea was a brexit bonus and quite literally thumped his chest as he said made in Britain for Britain, we are based nr Mansfield…

PMSL! Don’t tell Foxconn, nvidia or Intel or Toshiba or Hitachi or Panasonic or Samsung who all supply parts for macs… Made in Britain? ROFL!

mattyfez

Hardly surprising is it , as it will take all of 5 seconds from posting to be labelled a racist gammon.

There’s a few still going on this thread, which dwarfs the STW thread, it got so big it broke their forum so they had to lock the original and start a new one.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/brexit-discussion-the-new-thread.18864476/page-127

But the brexiters on there have the same old debunked arguments, who get repeatedly debunked so they go quiet for a bit and then resurface spouting the same arguments only to get debunked again. Other than that it descends into petty straw men and whataboutery… There’s no fresh revelations, for obvious reasons.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Sobriety sed> But it feels somewhat pyrrhic.

Oi! Less of that Greek non-sense in our green and pleasant thankyouverymuch-a.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Brexit – when does the good stuff start?’ is closed to new replies.