Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Brexit – when does the good stuff start?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

We keep hearing the doom and gloom of what happens when Brexit hits, especially a no deal version.

What are the up sides? There must be some benefit to normal everyday folk, some light at the end of the tunnel. What do we have to look forward to?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What are the up sides? There must be some benefit to normal everyday folk,

All the unemployed True Englishmen will instantly be endowed with Gainful Employement after its previous owner has been deported. After all, those foreigners have been coming here for years and Taking Our Jobs.

Also, the NHS will instantly be wonderful.

And “we’ll” have “control” again, whatever that actually even meant in the first place.

MoreCashThanDash

My mate asked this question on the government’s “are you ready?” website the day it launched.

He’s still awaiting an answer

sootyandjim
    Free Member

kimbers

When the riots & looting start I’m totally getting a 60inch LED TV

frankconway

Onza – you should send your question to ‘Ask Nigel’.

ThePinkster

I’ve been wondering this for some time now.

I keep hearing loads of negative predictions, many of which I can see as possibilities but have yet to hear any vaguely convincing positive predictions that stand up to any challenge.

tjagain

thats because there are no upsides.

fooman

Some new jobs for life are being created, the border agency is recruiting, as is the civil service – there’s going to be a lot of new red tape for government employees to manage over the next decade. Might have to cut back on NHS a bit to pay for it but less chance of that nasty Spanish flu coming over here so should be ok.

bikebouy
    Free Member

When the riots & looting start I’m totally getting a 60inch LED TV

I’m going full white Nike’s and some Joggers…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You’ll be able to keep any Bass you catch as long as theyr’e over the minimum size limit.

dazh

The only potential light at the end of the tunnel, is that normal people, even though they’ve done it in the most stupid way possible, are at last beginning to wake up to the fact they’ve been screwed over for decades. It will also hopefully put a rocket up the backsides of politicians across the spectrum who loaded the fallout from the 2008 crash on the general population whilst allowing the perpetrators to carry on as normal.

Of course this is countered by the threat of nationalist populism. It’s going to take a concerted effort of all politicians and others who are against rightwing populism to present more of a united front against the likes of Farage and Johnson. So far the signs are not good on this front. Political opportunism still reigns supreme, egos are being exercised and personal interests and career ambitions are at the forefront. I have no idea what will happen, but think it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Or maybe we are in the midst of a more long term and widespread collapse? If that’s the case then it’s pointless worrying about it as we’re all ******.

Cougar

I keep hearing loads of negative predictions, many of which I can see as possibilities but have yet to hear any vaguely convincing positive predictions that stand up to any challenge.

The only narratives I still see with any sort of regularity these days are either,

a) ephemeral gubbins about freedom / sovereignty / taking back control, or

b) the will of the people, democracy.

Everything else has long since disappeared, but these in themselves are difficult to argue against. Outright lies like the Lisbon Treaty 2022 can be readily disproven (though these days I’ve given up and just say “project fear,” what’s good for the goose and all that) but feelings are harder to counter. People don’t like the idea of the EU, don’t like the thought that we’re not being masters of our own destiny; whether this has any bearing in reality is an irrelevance to these people, they just don’t like it. We laugh about blue passports but it’s exactly that sort of petty nonsense which is important to people.

Cougar

Oh yeah, dazh will get the anarchy he’s been pining for for years, I’d forgotten about that. Chewkw will have rubbed himself raw after the collapse an’ all.

scruff9252

We an only hope that the “Brexit dividend” is disproportionately weighed towards those demographics and regions that voted for brexit.

onehundredthidiot

Well I for one won’t have any Bally nosey pencil pushers looking into my offshore tax affairs.

dazh

dazh will get the anarchy he’s been pining for for years

Being intersted in and supportive of the anarchist principles of greater freedom, more equality, less hierarchy, accountable ‘authority’, and more effective democracy does not translate into wanting ‘anarchy’. Anarchy, in the chaotic sense of the word, and anarchism are not the same things. Go do some reading….

https://www.seesharppress.com/anarchismwhatis.html

Drac

We’ll all be better off.

No more cheap labour so all employers will pay more

Raw milk will be back

We can feed our food waste to pigs again

Glass milk bottles

NHS will recieve more funding

We can make our own meds

We can produce our own food.

Just some of what I’ve learnt this week

Cougar

Positives:

Some very rich people will become exponentially more rich, so they’ll see that as a benefit. Won’t help your “normal everyday folk” of course, but a few dead benefits scroungers is a small price to pay.

A complete collapse of the Tory party seems likely, and I for one won’t shed a tear there. It could even lead to reform of government, maybe a break away from the two-party-in-all-but-name system we’ve seen for decades. Getting rid of FPTP might be an option?

The exchange rate going down the toilet will be great for holidaymakers coming here (if anyone would want to) and for non-EU immigrants-to-be.

Reality hitting home will finally put an end to the “project fear” / we won you lost shut up and get over it narrative. Maybe a medicine shortage and food rationing is exactly what’s needed to heal the divide, the country coming together like we did in 1945. They’ll enjoy that.

The removal of the EU27 from our fishing waters will be fantastic for Chinese fishermen, for about a fortnight whilst there’s still some fish left in there anyway.

A fuel crisis would be great for the environment. And forcing more people onto bicycles might mean less anti-bike road rage from drivers.

We’ll have a lot more green space we could use for recreational areas with all the former farmland freed up. No more farting cows would be a net benefit to the environment also.

Whoever buys the NHS might actually put some money into it. TrumpCare™ anyone?

Boris going to jail?

Poopscoop

Joking aside in this and from some Leavers I know and from what you can glean online I think this is the perception of what good stuff will happen.

1 We will trade more with the rest of the world making better deals as we aren’t tied to the EU.

2 The US will become a greater ally and Trump is very UK friendly, and anti EU so will be inclined to help us out.

3 Far less immigration. Huge win.

4 Relief on NHS due to lowering immigration.

5 Relief on housing due to Les immigration.

6 More jobs due to cutting off cheap labour from abroad.

7 Seeing less foreign people in their communities in general.

I DON’T AGREE WITH ONE WORD OF THOSE POINTS ABOVE BUT THEY ARE GENUINELY HELD BELIEVES OF MANY.

Pretty scary but they are the positives to many Leavers.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

4 Relief on NHS due to lowering immigration.

Of course countered by the loss of excellent EU27 staff, who were recruited to make up for shortfalls in UK-trained staff.

I’d call it a net loss.

Poopscoop

Totally agree sooty. My partner works in the NHS and is terrified by the effects of Brexit.

Cougar

I DON’T AGREE WITH ONE WORD OF THOSE POINTS ABOVE BUT THEY ARE GENUINELY HELD BELIEVES OF MANY.

And that’s what’s frustrating about the whole thing. Half of it isn’t true and in fact is likely to have the opposite effect (project fear, we’re not listening) and the other half is just racism.

If they want those things, brexit is not the solution.

bearnecessities

but a few dead benefits scroungers is a small price to pay.

This place is getting insane. What evidence in particular led you to that statement?

fooman

‘Project fear’ will have to come to an end. Replaced by ‘Operation we bloody told you so’.

matt_outandabout

I need a new passport in January.
    A Blue one.
    😎

andytherocketeer

What do we have to look forward to?

Our re-accession to the EU in about 2035

bikebouy
    Free Member

Our re-accession to the EU in about 2021

If we ever actually leave that is.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve heard the following:-

1) VAT rate dropped (this will never happen)

2) Less red tape, more business growth (not convinced)

3) More national pride, we will win the world cup again

4) We will have got on with it and will come together (whatever that means)

5) We will not be enlisted into the EU army (I’m too old so didn’t care anyway)

6) Johnny Foreigner will have had it stuck up him and he doesn’t like that

7) Tourism industry will boom with staycations

binners

You mean there won’t be £350 million a week extra for the NHS?

I definitely recall seeing something about that on the side of a bus

CraigW
    Free Member

Not long until the dissolution of the United Kingdom.

Cougar

This place is getting insane. What evidence in particular led you to that statement?

You do realise that I’m not expressing my opinions there? I’ve seen “it’s a price worth paying” bookending all manner of toxic shit.

Cougar

Case in point,

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/no-deal-brexit-on-bbc-breakfast-1-6279075

“So you rely on insulin?” asked the reporter – witnessing the pair disagreeing.

“Yeah I rely on insulin,” confirmed the member of the public. “But I still want to leave.”

“If the insulin doesn’t arrive, for you as a diabetic, you think that’s a price worth paying?” enquiried the reporter.

“Yeah I do,” the Brexiteer replied while nodding.

“Why do you feel so strongly about it?” asked the reporter somewhat flabbergasted.

“Because we voted to leave, we didn’t vote for a deal, we didn’t vote for anything, we voted to leave Europe,” he told the BBC. “And that’s all we want right, we’re either a democracy or we’re not”.

Turkeys, Christmas? Amazing.

matt_outandabout

You mean there won’t be £350 million a week extra for the NHS?

BIL is a finance director for an NHS trust.

He has written to both his boss and local Tory MP asking for when the payments will arrive so he knows to spend it carefully…

ThePinkster

I need a new passport in January.
    A Blue one

That’s a point; mine expires in November. Wonder what colour the new one will be?

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh yeah, dazh will get the anarchy he’s been pining for for years, I’d forgotten about that. Chewkw will have rubbed himself raw after the collapse an’ all.

Eh? Raw about what? Anarchy? Bureaucracy? Democracy? 😀
    If “… collapse an’ all …” then so be it what is there to worry about coz that is the nature of things. You can run amok if you wish but I ain’t.

On a separate climate issue why are the climate protestors protesting in the west about climate? There is “no” (far less) more virgin forest in the West apart from certain countries so why protest here? 😀

Shouldn’t they be protesting in say Indonesia, Brazil or countries (their virgin forest is much more important for the world) that openly burnt down their virgin forest? Those are the countries with good natural carbon capture is it not? 🤔

mrmo
    Free Member

Can someone tell me the issue with an EU army? UK troops are under foreign control in NATO.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can someone tell me the issue with an EU army? UK troops are under foreign control in NATO.

EU just want to create an alternative version to NATO etc … I see them coming … 😄

bigblackshed

Please don’t bait The Troll.

bodgy
    Free Member

I’ve saved up and bought a chest freezer, a generator that can run on on turnips and hedge twigs, i’ve Driven over a couple of deer and chucked them in. And i’ve Got about a dozen tins of chopped tomatoes in my buried stash.

Still haven’t had any confirmation of when my free-range sunny upland Unicorn is arriving, though. FFS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Brexit – when does the good stuff start?’ is closed to new replies.