Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Brexit and other stuff
  • iffoverload
    Free Member

Isn’t it time to deal with the real issues facing society and not worry about a bunch of
    oxbridege nuptys that should just be abandoned and ignored while the grown ups tidy up the mess that has been made as best we can?

If we just pretend that we are not heading into a global climatic disaster wil it just all go away so we can “get on with it”?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

oxbridege nuptys

Far better to have people from The Derek Zoolander Centre for Kids Who Can’t Read Good.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The trivial task of leaving a trading block is too complicated for our lot, and you want to re-invent the world economy? Good luck with that.

mrmo
    Free Member

@CaptainFlashheart, he does have a point the UK has been screwed for decades by Oxbridge/Eton/etc alumni, who, at the end of the day are incompetent.

The only good thing to come out of Brexit, MPs have generally been shown to be overpaid and pointless. Problem is they aren’t going to change the gravy train.

As for Climate change, not a hope in hell, People are too wed to the way of life they have, ask people to give up driving or flying.

iffoverload
    Free Member

for an “economy” to exist there has to be a stable society, without food and water society will be in chaos.

No point in trying to fix an “economy” when it is not sustainable

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a whole thread for this but

Isn’t it time to deal with the real issues facing society

It always is. But if Brexit trashes the economy then there’ll be no money to fix any problems. This is one reason people are so upset about it.

MPs have generally been shown to be overpaid and pointless. Problem is they aren’t going to change the gravy train.

No, there’s a lot of shrewd moves being played by MPs. The problem is with government and leadership. You should know the difference if you’re going to piss and moan about it.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I think many people have had quite enough of driving and flying and are looking for something else in our very short lifespans.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

As for Climate change, not a hope in hell, People are too wed to the way of life they have, ask people to give up driving or flying.

Or reproducing the very thing that causes pollution.
    In fact the ONLY thing on the planet that causes pollution. (am happy to be corrected)

More humans.

iffoverload
    Free Member

here’ll be no money to fix any problems.

money might just be the principal cause of the problems

iffoverload
    Free Member

regarding the twisted view of economy, it really is not some imaginary beast that must be fed and grow without end

economy
    [ ih-kon-uh-mee ]
    noun,
    thrifty management; frugality in the expenditure or consumption of money, materials, etc.

an act or means of thrifty saving; a saving: He achieved a small economy by walking to work instead of taking a bus.

the management of the resources of a community, country, etc., especially with a view to its productivity.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think many people have had quite enough of driving and flying and are looking for something else in our very short lifespans.

True. Like a nice holiday, maybe.

Packing a bike for Airplaneing

5thElefant
    Free Member

I shouldn’t be shocked. But… you couldn’t make this up.

Houns

We are well and truly buggered.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Yes we all are

5thElefant
    Free Member

Luckily we’ll be dead before it matters. Maybe all we need is a cure for ageing, then we might care.

alpin
    Free Member

Luckily we’ll be dead before it matters.

My nephews won’t. Your kids and those of friends and family won’t.

We need more drones. Or kites.

More people doing things like Extinction Rebellion.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe all we need is a cure for ageing, then we might care.

We wouldn’t be able to afford it.

mrmo
    Free Member

No, there’s a lot of shrewd moves being played by MPs. The problem is with government and leadership. You should know the difference if you’re going to piss and moan about it.

A few,certainly, but many more, I could give the example of my MP who with one hand says no deal is bad and will never support it and then takes a job which means signing up to no deal.Rememeber that they agreed to A50 with no plan.

iffoverload
    Free Member

More people doing things like Extinction Rebellion.

unfortunately civil disobedience seems to be the last resort now that everything else is seemingly under the “control” of institutions who worship profit and have no respect for truth and justice and seek to escape the law.

But the law of physics or nature cannot be changed by people.

iffoverload
    Free Member

ha! fair cop, my car pool biking buddies let me down, hopefully an empty seat taken on a plane will be less CO2 than driving there solo as according to the online clacs

doubt I will ever do it again, hate airports and flying.

kimbers

I for one am pleased to be ruled over by these great Oxford alumni

Houns

Interesting piece about anti natalists on the World Service right now

mooman
    Free Member

molgrips

Subscriber
    But if Brexit trashes the economy then there’ll be no money to fix any problems. This is one reason people are so upset about it

It may be one reason against Brexit; but the main reason is because certain people have grandiose and overinflated feelings of entitlement, and are convinced that they are intellectually superior to everyone else with different views/opinions.
    The STW Brexit thread will confirm that.

Trying to dress the STW anti-Brexit loons up as anything else is pretty pointless whilst that thread is still there to read.

handybar
    Free Member

Reasons for Brexit
    – Growing economic inequality due to trickle-down economic policies (they never work), deindustrialisation, the rise of the banks and the subsequent bailouts
    – Then punishing people with economic austerity, whilst the bankers got off for free
    – The EU is moving in a centralist direction over time; the Euro is a bad idea which only benefits Germany and maybe France but ruins the economies of southern Europe; the EU does not have a reverse gear so lacks the ability to reform itself
    – Britain is not really a European country due to the reformation and empire, it doesn’t really belong in the EU in the first place – history matters

But the big question is – will Brexit automatically correct all the above? Or is it over time helping to radicalise the population and laying the ground for civil conflict not seen since the seventeenth century?

Edukator
    Free Member

Nonsense, handybar. Chaeck out some studies of why people voted Brexit. It was remainers who voted for the sort of economic reasons you cite. The two overiding reasons for voting Brexit were.

‘immigration’ and ‘sovereignty’

which is polite for Brexiters being racist little Englanders. 🙂 I don’t know many Brits in real life but in that tiny sample the Brexiters are just that.

alpin
    Free Member

Edukator +1

Know quite a few Brits abroad and only one of them (out of 20+) thinks brexit was a good idea.

The fact he’s now having to look into Italian residency, changing his driving license and arranging health care he’s not so keen.

mooman
    Free Member

Claiming to know why people voted a certain way is as daft using it to add weight to your own opinion.

Have any of these studies asked every person who voted for Brexit for their reason? if they did .. could they reliably guarantee that the answers they got were true? its nonsense.

tinribz
    Free Member

In fact the ONLY thing on the planet that causes pollution. (am happy to be corrected)

Actually plants and the ocean produce at least 20 times more carbon than humans. About 30gt compared to 800gt.

Edukator
    Free Member

Errr, plants and the oceans are natural carbon sinks. The natural source of CO2 is volcanism and that natural source is absorbed by natural mechanisms. See those limestone mountains, that’s CaCo3 which is the skeletons of sea organisms.

handybar
    Free Member

@Educkater, Please can you cite those studies, happy to look into them and report back.

Houns

Jeez this thread isn’t helping me change my mind that we’re doomed

Poopscoop

Ditto.

kimbers

It may be one reason against Brexit; but the main reason is because certain people have grandiose and overinflated feelings of entitlement, and are convinced that they are intellectually superior to everyone else with different views/opinions.

That’d be a bit more credible mooman if you could make a coherent argument for Brexit, handybar has made a genuine effort rather than just chuck about insults 😉

Cougar

The main reason is that leavers like to make shit up and present it as fact, as you’ve just ably demonstrated.

This was one of THM’s favourite straw men, and if you read the thread you’re referring to you’ll see it debunked at length (by me amongst many others) months ago. No-one – well, OK, very few people – are suggesting that all leavers are idiots. Aside from anything else, this is demonstrably untrue. Rather, all the idiots voted for brexit. It’s a subtle but important difference.

And you can argue that black is white all you like but if you look at post-referendum analysis there is a clear correlation between education levels and how people were likely to vote. In fact it’s the second greatest correlation after age. It saddens me somewhat that we’re still having to have this conversation, but here we are.

Claiming to know why people voted a certain way is as daft using it to add weight to your own opinion.

Have any of these studies asked every person who voted for Brexit for their reason?

Yes, actually. It’s very well documented now, we’ve had about three years’ worth of analysis.

if they did .. could they reliably guarantee that the answers they got were true? its nonsense.

Your defence here is that leaver voters might be lying?

Edukator
    Free Member

Quote studies? I’m a geologist, it’s as established as apples falling to the ground. Tell you what,n you Google “carbons sinks” and if you can’t find anything that suits a climate change denier agenda read this.

The Ocean, a carbon sink

If you put climate-change deniers, Brexiters and conspiracy theorists into a venn diagram I reckon it would look like this:

Cougar
    kimbers

But the big question is – will Brexit automatically correct all the above? Or is it over time helping to radicalise the population and laying the ground for civil conflict not seen since the seventeenth century?

Not likely ! All Brexit has done so far is take £billions out of the government, bitterly divide the country sucked away all attention from any other issues & as we crash out on No deal that is set to get much much worse, very naive to think that the last 3 years of chaos won’t be repeated for the next 10 !

Meanwhile even the populist Brexit party is stuffed with millionaire spivs & career political lobbyists, with money pumped in from American financiers to push their agenda.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Far better to have people from The Derek Zoolander Centre for Kids Who Can’t Read Good.

Yes, because that’s the only alternative to an Oxbridge education right?

With comments like that I guess you’re speaking based on a limited experience of the world.

Cougar
    Cougar

it’s as established as apples falling to the ground.

Bah, we did OK before Newton invented gravity. The problem is that apples don’t want to float badly enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Brexit and other stuff’ is closed to new replies.