Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Brexit 50p’s. Uses for.
  • tthew

Without wishing to get bumped to ‘that thread’ (which I’ve really not paid attention to, and it’s a bit late to start now) should I get any of the diversive Brexit 50p’s in change, what’s the most inventive way to deal with them?

Maybe save them up until someone start a rejoin the EU campaign and send them there?
    Donate to a local NHS charity in lieu of the £350m a week they won’t be getting?

Answers on a postcard to B Johnson, 10 Downing Street, London.

Caher

As I said in the last thread, I’ll donate to the homeless I encounter.

ads678

I thought only old people carried cash these days anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mbl1
    Free Member

I’ll be saving mine and investing them for my daughter, who’s future I fear for.

Caher

I pay cash when I don’t want it on my bank statement.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I ride through parliament square twice a day.

I’m keeping hold of them to throw at boris or rees mogg.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For all their relevance we could use them to prop up the slope on mattoutandabouts shed

pondo

For all their relevance we could use them to prop up the slope on mattoutandabouts shed

I like the idea. It’d be nice to see something positive come from Brexit.

bruneep

I pay cash when I don’t want it on my bank statement

👍 yeah dont coke & hookers Ltd appearing on statement

Harry_the_Spider

Good point. I shall save mine for my kids.

LD
    Free Member

Give it to the kids to stick on your grave. Inspired truth or amusing irony.

kelvin

Just spend ‘em. They’re just coins, and ugly ones at that. Pass ‘em on. Why make a fuss?

maccruiskeen

I shall save mine for my kids.

I don’t think Boris wants his kids showing up on his bank statement either

Poopscoop

I think we shall see many getting “modified”.

This used to happen a lot in centuries gone by in protest at the government or policies of the day.

The Brexit coin is ripe for this as the message on it is completely at odds with what Brexit is actually about.

funkmasterp

I’ll bury them for Tony Robinson’s equivalent to find in a couple of centuries time. Probably be this guy….

Jolsa

I’ll be donating any I receive to https://www.the3million.org.uk/

sc-xc

If I get one I’ll trade it on the currency exchange for one of these…

andytherocketeer

Will be sticking stickers with 12 stars on them on the reverse, before putting any back in to circulation.

Can we get them this week?  I imagine they’ll make better projectiles than eggs and flour at the “celebrations” :rolleyes: this weekend.

robdixon
    Free Member

“Donate to a local NHS charity in lieu of the £350m a week they won’t be getting?“

The NHS budget is increasing £34b over the life of this parliament – which translates to £20.5 “real terms” increase and £394m a week extra.

kelvin

£394m a week extra

I know we should avoid the game of “inflate the number, get people to challenge it, bringing attention to the idea”, by that works out at £79m a week, doesn’t it? And how much of that is an increase above what was already planned? Less than £20m by my reckoning. Now, how much have costs for the NHS gone up just because of the post Brexit vote exchange rate? How much will it go up post Brexit beyond what it would have if we weren’t leaving? The idea that the NHS is benefiting financially because of Brexit is just smoke and mirrors, as well all know.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Hmmm it apears my posting skills are even worse than my crude paint skillz.

View post on imgur.com

slowoldman

Best suggestion I’ve seen so far is donate them to a refugee charity.

kimbers

The £394m PW is only by 2024

Before then it’s less than £350m PW (ramps up every year)

As usual with Boris Johnson promises it’s worth checking the small print

And hard Brexit inflation could strip that all out !

Anyway, I shall be defacing any I get , then probably sticking in local charity collection by the station

mooman
    Free Member

Poopscoop

Subscriber
    I think we shall see many getting “modified”.

Maybe in your household; but I am very confident that the vast majority of people will be unaware of what is actually on the coin … and look/think/use it as just a 50p coin.

Some people here – especially the Loony-Thread regulars need to take a step back and give some thought about their irrational thoughts on Brexit, and also how thought disordered they identify themselves with comments such as having tattoos in defiance of Brexit or putting FaceBook hashtags on their status … its irrational and the response of mentally unwell or cognitively impaired people.

ps.
    To answer the question of uses for the 50p coins though. Mars bar or packet of crisps I imagine Id spend mine on.

kelvin

its irrational and the response of mentally unwell or cognitively impaired people

You mean people who disagree with you should be ashamed and hide it from the world, not publicly proclaim their views? To do otherwise is a sign of mental illness in your view? Do you extend this to all political thought?

tthew

Will be sticking stickers with 12 stars on them on the reverse, before putting any back in to circulation.

Now THAT I like. Are you making your own stickers?

Mooman and houns, take it to the other thread.

mooman
    Free Member

kelvin

Subscriber

You mean people who disagree with you should be ashamed and hide it from the world, not publicly proclaim their views? To do otherwise is a sign of mental illness in your view? Do you extend this to all political thought?

No – not at all. If a person disagrees with me then thats ok; everybody is coming from different directions to make their decisions.
    When people get fixated and state they are going to do irrational things because of Brexit, such as getting a tattoo … then that raises concerns for that persons MH

kelvin

Are all inkings irrational? Or just political ones? If I got myself a little RAF roundel, would that be irrational, or would the fact that it could more simply be ascribed British significance, not European, make it not irrational? Where’s the line where you won’t damn my actions as those born of mental illness?

andytherocketeer

Anyway…

Thank **** for contactless.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see some of the rabid anti brexiteers actually get an anti brexit tattoo..please post pics on here as I need a laugh

Seriously though, there are some slightly irrational folks on here. I’m massively against brexit, it’s a terrible idea. But it’s just a 50p ffs. For all those anti monarchists out there, do you refuse to spend any notes with the queens head on it?

More likely however, for all their bluster they’ll spend it just like any other 50p….

kelvin

We’ll all notice our first Brexit 50p… and dispassionately pass on all subsequent ones… and that goes for Brexit cheerleaders as well as people wary of the whole Brexit process ahead of us. It is just a coin. The whole thing is pointless. As are any attempts to make something of it, from all sides. After the initial “ooo… look… a new one” just pass the coins on and ignore what’s on them.

thepurist

A Brexit tattoo – hope you don’t split your sides laughing mooman & tpbiker 😉

Edit to clarify – just showing that examplesoof passionate people and what many would considerf extreme behaviour can be found on both sides. This place has generally been more left/remain, other places are way more right /leave. Go to some of those and I reckon you’ll find people planning brexit parties for Friday night and cheering on every move BoJo Javid and co make. That’s the essence of freedom of speech and democracy and while I wouldn’t do it myself I will defend the right of anyone to get a brexit or leave tattoo, post their own beliefs on Facebook and campaign for us to rejoin or become the 51st state. Shutting that debate down forces it into the margins where it becomes an echo chamber and anything can appear normal. Keeping debate open allows those wilder views to be seen and challenged, hopefully working towards a concensus rather than polarisation.

reluctantjumper

I’m actually booked in to go to the Royal Mint on the 31st and mint my own!

Before anyone calls me out I’m massively against Brexit happening but I’m going there through work and I have a feeling those 50p’s are going to be collectible as a sign of a country’s collective stupidity. I’m sorely tempted to take along a penny and a single Black Jack sweet (just to annoy the racists who are guaranteed to be there) and point out what it used to cost and what it will cost in the near-future thanks to their stupidity. I will then add that 50p to the box that also has a few of the dateless 20p’s in it.

Any others I find in my change I will donate all of that change to charity, at least something good will come out of it.

Watty

The NHS budget is increasing £34b over the life of this parliament – which translates to £20.5 “real terms” increase and £394m a week extra.

And where’s it going, eh? **** outsource companies no doubt, not where it’s needed.

mooman
    Free Member

kelvin

Subscriber
    Are all inkings irrational? Or just political ones? If I got myself a little RAF roundel, would that be irrational, or would the fact that it could more simply be ascribed British significance, not European, make it not irrational? Where’s the line where you won’t damn my actions as those born of mental illness?

Sounds a great idea. Dont forget to post a pic for all of us to see.

thepurist

Shutting that debate down forces it into the margins where it becomes an echo chamber and anything can appear normal

I agree. Unfortunately the Loony Thread shut down debate a long time ago; and as such it became the echo chamber of irrational and nonsensical Remainers. Where silly threats of having a tattoo in defiance of Brexit … or putting a pro-EU status on their Facebook profile gives certain types some sort of validation.
    Can you imagine someone in work voicing such things? they would get ridiculed as some odd-bod nut job!

kimbers

You say that mooman yet repeatedly fail to bother answering any of the tough questions about Brexit

dudeofdoom

Well what fantastic thing will we be able to do after Brexit day then that we can’t currently do.

Other than spend our newly reminted 50p’s and dream of blue passports.

dudeofdoom

Is it really going to say ‘friendship to all nations’on it or is that a piss take ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

If I get any, I’m going to staple two of them to lyingblohards eyelids.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Brexit 50p’s. Uses for.’ is closed to new replies.