Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 13,537 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • mariner
    Free Member
    whitestone
    Free Member

UK: We want all the benefits of being in the club but don’t want to be a member or pay for it.

EU: You can’t.

UK: WAHHHH! It’s not fair!

Actually knowing how duplicitous this lot are, it wouldn’t surprise me that they’ve looked at the EU’s red line, not going to budge, points and explicitly demanded them so that the negotiations fail.

binners

The whole having cake/eating cake principle still hasn’t sunk in, has it?

They’re not a bright bunch, are they?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    misteralz
    Free Member

Just had notice that my bank accounts are being closed because I don’t live in the UK anymore. I still have income and outgoings there, though. So that’s nice.

kelvin

That one is just amusing mariner… which bit of “Leave the EU” does Johnson not get? And here’s the worst thing… that’s in the press because it’s simple, easy to understand, and transparently an issue for the general public… behind the scenes this kind of shit is going on across all industries in way the public wouldn’t grasp even if they were interested… with the government still failing to grasp what it is they were so insistent we have to do away with. Will o’the people.

cchris2lou

i hope they are not going to shut my UK bank accounts , need them for the UK house .

MoreCashThanDash

The whole having cake/eating cake principle still hasn’t sunk in, has it?

They’re not a bright bunch, are they?

I’m still not sure if it’s supreme arrogance, or incredible stupidity, but I suspect its an amazing hybrid fusion of the two.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Some more good news, this time from the motor racing world…

https://www.autosport.com/gt/news/152992/brexit-blamed-for-gtwce-silverstone-absence

intheborders
    Free Member

Some more good news, this time from the motor racing world…

BSB aren’t going to Assen either.

How much is related to Covid I don’t know, but for a paddock that only does one international trip I’d guess that they looked at what they’d need to do (carnets etc) and thought “bu99er that”.

dannyh
    Free Member

Actually knowing how duplicitous this lot are, it wouldn’t surprise me that they’ve looked at the EU’s red line, not going to budge, points and explicitly demanded them so that the negotiations fail.

They are trying to ensure they ‘fail’. Everyone with more than two brain cells knows there are going to be no benefits whatsoever coming to the 99.99% who aren’t positioned to benefit personally.

This is really all about a massively disruptive ‘event’ that is designed to ‘shake the pieces’ of our society to allow privateering spivs in to make a stack of cash for themselves, then disappear overseas. It is a one-off, last chance heist of an economy in terminal decline and the interested parties are not going to miss this opportunity. No Deal is pretty much a nailed on certainty. Cummings is ‘their man’ and he has to deliver to get his payout. Total stitch up.

dannyh
    Free Member

^^^

Basically just think of Brexit as a nation-level insider trade. It starts to make more sense that way. The key difference being that it is a destructive ‘event’ that is being staged as the perps don’t hold the real interest in the ‘company’ (in this case our welfare state, health service, education, law enforcement etc).

The real short term spivs just need a nod and a wink and they can take positions against the pound. Overnight billions and a one way bet.

In the more medium term you have the outsourcing spivs circling the NHS, education etc. As the amount of cloth to be cut gets smaller they will be invited in, under tender, pocket a fortune, fail and transfer the mess back to the public purse. When someone asks the question about a recovery of the amount plundered you will find the perps offshored the cash about 30 seconds after they got it and are currently domiciled elsewhere. Recovering the cash will then become a massively long, drawn-out and (more snouts arrive at the trough) expensive process.

It is already happening. There are consultants being paid eye watering amounts investigating the effects of a No Deal on the NHS. Hundreds of thousands of pounds a day going out to a relatively small number of people researching the effects of an unnecessarily damaging act of self harm. Fishy, eh?

eskay

More evidence that mighty England may eventually be a very sad little country.

Scottish independence supporters are in the majority and who could blame them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54630729

binners

I think that Scottish independence and a united Ireland are now a given. It’s when not if.

But when that happens, the other thing to throw into the mix, given the shenanigans in Greater Manchester this last week, is the demand for proper regional devolution within England itself, which is now most firmly on the agenda.

I hope this is finally the death knell of dictatorial rule from London and the South East.

That’d be a nice ‘Brexit Dividend’

Edukator
    Free Member

Just now and then Brexit makes me smile. On TF1 this evening they had a report on 59.8% out voting Ashford and the lorry park being built opposite a toffy-nosed old person’s delightful village. No mention of how they voted of course but there was not a word against Brexit, just the lorry park. Gloat me? Lots. I hope they park the refrigerated trucks just over the fence and the sex workers park their camper vans along the lane. 🙂

And some properly good news if reciprocated around Europe, which it will be:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/24/migrants-to-uk-now-need-to-earn-only-20480-after-home-office-climbdown

dannyh
    Free Member

No mention of how they voted of course but there was not a word against Brexit, just the lorry park.

Zero likelihood of a word against Brexit when the lorry park is all the fault of lily-livered remoaners, dirty foreigners etc.

Still, their quaint little village won’t ever be quite so quaint again. I can see the photo of the village VE day street party 2021 now. Silly bunting, silly little union jacks being waved, cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off…. and a lorry driver having a piss in a lucozade bottle in the background….

🤣🇬🇧🤣🇬🇧🤣

teesoo

My stepfather is a Brexit cheerleading, racist, Boris-supporting truck driver. Part of me hopes he spends a lot of time next year stuck in a traffic jam in Kent. Does this make me a bad person?

dannyh
    Free Member

My stepfather is a Brexit cheerleading, racist, Boris-supporting truck driver. Part of me hopes he spends a lot of time next year stuck in a traffic jam in Kent. Does this make me a bad person?

No. He sounds like a twot, so discounting the beautiful schadenfreude, him being stuck in Kent means you’ll see him less. I’d class that as a win-win.

frankconway

brexit, noun

(toht – l – krap)

The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

frankconway

Any recent sightings of Field Marshall François or is he still on secret manoeuvres?

matt_outandabout

It’s not just Francois – there seems to be a few politicians keeping heads down…

frankconway

Does that mean Essex police are investigating more than one of them?

Del

One can only hope

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m particularly enjoying the current Twitter spat going on with the @tradegovuk account regarding their claim sent out during the great British bake off that Soy Sauce would be cheaper in future due to the new Japan trade deal… which is actually untrue. It’s made even better because they haven’t yet worked out how to spell Soy

binners

Is that the Brexit Dividend then? Soy sauce will not be going up by 30%?

Yesterday’s FT, meanwhile, was saying that we’ve now passed the point of no return and there will be chaos at the ports on January 1st even with a trade deal cobbled together.

Good job our economy will be in such robust good health at that point

matt_outandabout

Interesting discussion with my sister yesterday. Her (nurse) and her husband (police officer) both voted leave. Both said it was out of frustration with the ruling powers that be, and that anything was better than the situation they were in.

It’s taken until yesterday, but she’s now said it was a huge mistake and that they feel both lied to and stupid for having voted leave for the reasons they did. She had not realised the ramifications of not being in the EU anymore.

Anyone else seeing voter regret on either side? I’m wondering as a tough winter is upon us, with in 9 weeks (?) a Brexshit shambles, if we will see any more…

doomanic

Nope. I only found out last weekend that one of my riding buddies is an ardent Brexshitter who doesn’t want any sort of deal with the EU because we’ll be able to get much better deals with everyone else. When pressed on who he means by “everyone else” he was somewhat unforthcoming but utterly unrepentant.

alcolepone
    Free Member

What happened to the halloween deadline for a final brexit deal? obviously covid is taking the headlines, but no where mentions the brexit halloween deadline, did it get extended?

Poopscoop

There’s supposed to be some sort of talks continuing. Sorry of. As BJ (well his minions) didn’t walk away from talks as he threatened…. Because he’s a lying shyster amongst other reasons. Understandably I think the EU just want rid now. We are a malignant growth off their coast like.

I suspect some bare minimum will get agreed which will make next to no difference. Its going to be bloody nasty next year and beyond. The EU will be damaged too but compared to the pain we will be going through….

binners

What happened to the halloween deadline for a final brexit deal? obviously covid is taking the headlines, but no where mentions the brexit halloween deadline, did it get extended?

It all hangs on the US election. Everyone knows that if Biden is elected this week then the chances of a US/UK trade deal is dead in the water, as he has stated that the Good Friday Agreement is sacrosanct. If thats the case then Boris will have no choice but to:

a) accept whatever the EU offers him and try to sell it as a victory
    b) take the UK economy already ravaged by covid, put a gun against the back of its head and pull the trigger

Poopscoop

b) take the UK economy already ravaged by covid, put a gun against the back of its head and pull the trigger

In normal times that would sound completely mad. Now…😐

alcolepone
    Free Member

you make it sound like a US/UK trade deal under trump would be good, I cant imagine any trade deal like that would be to the benefit to the uk..

binners

In normal times that would sound completely mad. Now…

I know. My sentiments exactly

What worries me is that we know Boris is a coward and was always going to bottle it, blink before the EU and then try to sell it as a victory. However, he is also a blithering incompetent and I fear he’ll dither and delay as he tries to work out a sellable exit strategy and we’ll simply drift past any deadline until its too late and a no-deal is then the default.

you make it sound like a US/UK trade deal under trump would be good, I cant imagine any trade deal like that would be to the benefit to the uk..

It’ll be terrible, but as with everything around Brexit, there are no good options available to us. The alternative will be even worse. We’ll effectively have no prospect of any trade deals in place with anyone.

By the second week of January Boris (or more likely his successor) will be on his knees, crawling to Brussels, pleading for some kind of deal

intheborders
    Free Member

Whenever I’ve ever seen anyone UK-based talking of how Trump cares for the UK I’ve asked them, “which bit of America First has passed you by?”.

Whoever is the President, they’ll be looking to move their trade deficit with us into a surplus.

dannyh
    Free Member

Whenever I’ve ever seen anyone UK-based talking of how Trump cares for the UK I’ve asked them, “which bit of America First has passed you by?”.

Whoever is the President, they’ll be looking to move their trade deficit with us into a surplus.

A million times this. Who could stand on, effectively, ‘America Second’? To help out a little post-colonial twerp?

Not a chance. Anything lost now to the US is irreversible. It would be political suicide in the US to campaign otherwise.

Bollocks to Brexit.

grum
    Free Member

Is that the Brexit Dividend then? Soy sauce will not be going up by 30%?

This is beyond satire. Essentially:

‘On reflection, all we can claim is that soy sauce won’t be more expensive than it would have been under the unbelievably terrible circumstances we have created for no real reason, except that most soy sauce doesn’t come to us from Japan it’s actually made in the Netherlands, so actually it still might get more expensive. We have no idea really’

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone else seeing voter regret on either side?

Think my dad has twigged how hard it will make things, especially with the blithering incompetent he voted in to run negotiations. He seems to understand that this isn’t about his own blinkered bias on the EU but about the impact it will have on the lives of his grandchildren.

My mum frankly can’t wait to anoint Farage as Fuhrer of the Second British Empire.

kelvin

Anyone know what’s going on? Has the government with the “oven ready” deal, that promised to “get brexit done”, that turned down an offer to extend our current arrangements due to the pandemic, got everything in place for the end of next month? All sorted? Not even any snagging to sort? We’re ready to go, yeah?

It’s just that I keep getting this ad…

ad

…and I’m sure it needs to be targeted at ministers, not me.

welshfarmer

Popped up on a FB feed I follow of a local Anti-Brexit group, so take with a pinch of salt….

BREAKING NEWS:
    From a very reliable source in the ‘Tunnel… there will be a UK-EU trade deal agreed next week. I quote:
    “Britain has CAVED. Unless someone in Westminster does something really stupid between now and then a deal will be signed.” *clearly this cannot be ruled out!
    this will give the UK access to the Single Market, tariff and quota free BUT with specific sanctions to be put on the UK if we lower standards or move away from the Level Playing Field on state aid etc. This means that the UK becomes a rule taker inasmuch as when the EU implement new regulations or standards, the UK MUST also implement those new rules too but without being in the room or being able to vote on drafting the new regulations.
    importantly this agreement does NOT keep the UK in the Customs Union meaning that the worst case scenario of thousands of stranded trucks in Kent is still on the table as are the 30 million customs declarations required between GB and Northern Ireland, not to mention the hundreds of millions of new customs declarations required to ship from GB to EU customers.
    Also: FISH. The UK will allow EU boats to continue to fish in UK waters, yes French ones too but the UKs quota will be gradually increased by agreement.
    Based on history though, any new fishing quota issued to the UK will probably be sold to someone in Spain or Denmark in the future just like we did with our last ones.
    Interesting. Boris will sell this to the UK as a “great oven ready deal” I’m sure.
    More to come shortly.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 13,537 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.