Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 13,594 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • onewheelgood

If I’ve learned anything in 35 years in business, it’s that having a rational, fact-based argument that you present carefully and clearly is of absolutely no use at all in changing people’s minds. I’ve almost never seen it work. Unfortunately, I’ve also never been able to identify what it is that does actually achieve the change – it’s just that sometimes it happens. Which is all a bit dispiriting, really.

kelvin

Fish.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Brexit is about deregulation and the subsequent wealth transfer of both poor peoples labour and borrowed/printed money into the hands of a small number of people.

This is not a left wing view its simple economic facts. The best example is the current dispute with the EU over state aid. Dominic wants unlimited state aid to create a UK Apple/Microsoft but in reality the “investment” will get funnelled into private pockets of new business (just look at the PPE contracts)

I am also wise enough to understand that this die has been cast. Those of us in the middle (class) will have to survive as best we can.

The working poor with few skills or education are really going to struggle, thrre will be few unskilled jobs and even less post covid. The gov can talk all it likes about retraining but a lot oc the skills shortages (Nurses, engineers, cyber etc,) require young bright folks not a 50 year old ex kitchen porter ( no offence to kitchen porters.

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Let me be clear, I am f*****g furious about Brexit still.

But, having now read extensively about politics, populism, economics and the future of work, I have sadly found myself in agreement with Molgrips. Berating the dumb c**** who voted us into this mess won’t help and simply entrenches their position. They wanted to give us a bloody nose and berating them for doing it reinforces that they are “right”.

I don’t know the answer other than a radical remake of politics, and progress away from the winner takes all economy that is – when combined with Covid – going to reduce all of us (yes, that includes us Audi driving IT consultants) to effective paupers.

If you read just one book on it all, make it this one: Tyranny of Merit

Is there an answer? The utopians have the right idea with UBI, but I just don’t see how the rent-seekers of the world will cough-up to make that happen.

andy8442
    Free Member

Putting aside the long term financial gains for the very few from Brexshit, there will also be the disaster capitalists banking on making a fortune playing the markets on the eve of Brexit.How about suspending market trading for a brief time or certainly banning some of the the more dubious practices. Discuss.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I agree with UBI it would solve many problems, and replace a complex benefits system and allow many (including me) to do “unpaid” work and create new business and drive the overall economy.

But and its a massive but as brexitrefugee points out the “landlords” will fight to the death as UBI added to minimum wage takes a lot of folk from renting to owning and add in the decline of office rents post covid.

Note i use the term Landlord in the broader sense

onewheelgood

Note i use the term Landlord in the broader sense

The word you were looking for is “rentier

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Rentier it is, this is not new in the UK its been the case since William the Conqueror turned up.

The UK investment structure is all about property and land. It is not about investing in people or ideas.

kelvin

How about suspending market trading for a brief time or certainly banning some of the the more dubious practices. Discuss.

Not going to happen. For obvious reasons. Discussion over.

dannyh
    Free Member

Another Brexit dividend – no fish.

No problem, the Brexies’ sovrunty is so tangible we will be able to cover it in batter and have it with chips.

Either that or a blue passport deep-fried.

crazy-legs
    dannyh
    Free Member

No flights out of here either.

I might ask if I can reuse one of the confiscated migrant dinghies that the gammons get all hot and bothered about and make a dash for the promised land of France with the family in tow….

gonefishin
    Free Member

Another Brexit dividend – no fish.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/13/brexit-mps-reject-adopting-sustainable-quotas-in-fisheries-bill

I wouldn’t worry about that. After Brexit whilst “we’ll” control our fishing grounds, we won’t have a market to sell into so the economics will take care of that as fishermen and women go bust…

intheborders
    Free Member

If I’ve learned anything in 35 years in business, it’s that having a rational, fact-based argument that you present carefully and clearly is of absolutely no use at all in changing people’s minds. I’ve almost never seen it work. Unfortunately, I’ve also never been able to identify what it is that does actually achieve the change – it’s just that sometimes it happens. Which is all a bit dispiriting, really.

My pennyworth from the same length of time working (at a senior including global C-Level) is that the only way stuff happens in companies is senior folk in the business deciding it’s the “answer”.

The “Letter from Hitler/CEO/FD” etc is key. And the only way the path changes, is if the person changes.

Face it, Brexit is currently the way that the strategy is occurring. As I said previously, “Brexit isn’t the destination, it’s the vehicle”.

If you’re not loaded, you’re stuffed.

kelvin

Well, today is Johnson’s deadline day… was he bluffing?

tjagain

Of course he was. He is trying to play brinksmanship – only he is against experts!

mattyfez

I wouldn’t like to say – previous form would suggest a climbdown, but I think the likelyhood of that hangs on whether he can spin it as a victory to the brexit faithfull.

I’m not sure how he can spin that, so maybe he will go for a no deal to save face, also likely.

Remember, it’s not whats best for the country, it’s what’s best for Boris.

dannyh
    Free Member

They’ve already taken bulldozers to big swathes of the ‘Garden of England’. I don’t think it is a bluff (tragically).

Remember, it’s not whats best for the country, it’s what’s best for Boris.

And that will be his political epitaph, cold comfort that it is to us ordinary folk. He won’t care much. He will have a massive stack of cash to console himself with.

binners

They’ve already taken bulldozers to big swathes of the ‘Garden of England’.

That’s pretty much all they’ve done though.

Five Live this morning were interviewing various business owners about Brexit. One was a cheese producer who exported to the EU. She said that they’ve been constantly asking DEFRA about their food labelling and how the legal requirements will change once the UK becomes a ‘third country’. They know the labelling will need to change to carry on exporting to the EU. They simply cannot get an answer. Nobody knows. And this seems typical across the board.

So this means one of two things

a) It’s all a bluff. Nobody is taking it seriously as they know that at the eleventh hour Boris will fold, sign a trade deal then try and spin it as a victory

b) We’re sleepwalking into no deal with a government that are blind, or in denial or just uncaring as to the reality of no deal and the economic carnage it would create

Unfortunately, I know which one of those presently looks more likely

tjagain

All the preparations done so far are for the hard brexit they say is the maximum they will accept. NO deal causes even more issues such as ( as Shapps confirmned) flights grounded and so on.

The game now is to try to pin the blame on the EU – its working but only to some extent as the EU folk can see “trap” in huge lettering over this so no matter the deliberate provocation the EU will not walk away leaving Johnson and co to walk away and thus publicly accepot the blame or keep on negotiating but with no movement.

intheborders
    Free Member

I just ordered a years’ worth) of firewood from our usual supplier, it’s kiln dried (don’t ask, just accept) and comes from Latvia.

She mentioned that we were a bit early this year, I agreed and said we’d at least 3 months supply but I was concerned about any Brexit issues.

She admitted that at the moment they’ve no idea of what the impacts on them are going to be.

Irrelevant of whether they should know, what a sad state of affairs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I just ordered a years’ worth) of firewood from our usual supplier, it’s kiln dried (don’t ask, just accept) and comes from Latvia.

You could always burn baby polar bears if you can’t get anymore.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You could always burn baby polar bears if you can’t get anymore.

One of the advantages of Brexit is that we get to set our own tariffs on the import of baby polar bears for fuel.

We’ll of course demand that tariffs on jam are dropped in exchange.

#letsgoWTO

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Poor old Boris is disappointed by trade talks. It must have come as such a shock to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54543956

Del

The very embodiment of going through the motions.

kelvin

He added that as well as fishing rights, “key issues” for a deal included post-Brexit rules on competition and how a deal would be enforced.

I imagine Johnsons action this year have bumped “how a deal would be enforced” to the top of list of concerns for everyone looking to sign a deal with the UK within the next five years, not just the EU negotiators.

mrmo
    Free Member

However badly the WU talks go, does anyone think the talks with anyother major power will go any better. The UK is a medium sized country and if it wants a deal with major powers it will have to accept what they want to a large extent.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Did anyone ever read about the truck route in Africa (I think) where drivers used to pay prostitutes in sugar stolen from the back of the truck? When the transport company cracked down on the practice it caused the local economy to collapse. The prostitutes were selling the sugar on to bakers, who would bake goods to sell to vendors, who would sell at local stalls. Removing the sugar broke this value chain.

#BrexitOpportunities

mrmo
    Free Member

“councillors warn this is not a chance for remainers to have a go” So pointing out actions have consequences isn’t allowed.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I agree with the councillors, it’s in fact time for a good old public lynching, of them

frankconway

The councillor involved is a brexit supporter so hardly a considered opinion from a balanced individual.

AD

Pesky remainers. They spoil everything.

Hopefully the people who voted for the councillor will simply hold him to account.

Clearly whoever owns those fields will have made a few bob… Brexit dividend at work 😆

jaminb
    Free Member

Here we go

some of the comments are unbelievable – “deliver a no deal you will be a national hero”!!!

mattyfez

Boris Johnson is facing the momentous decision of whether to walk out on Brexit trade talks, after the EU offered to extend them beyond the prime minister’s deadline to the end of October.

Chief negotiator Michel Barnier told reporters in Brussels that he had proposed a two-week extension to negotiations, offering to work through the weekend if necessary to get an agreement.

“I can confirm that we’re available, we shall remain available until the last possible day,” he said, after a meeting of EU leaders in the Belgian capital to discuss the issue.

So what is our fat scrotum of a PM going to do? throw his own peple under the brexit bus?

tjagain

He will continue to pretend to negotiate but refuse to make any of the compromises that the EU deem essential. same as he has done for months.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ha ha. You also just know that lorry park will be badly designed by some overpaid consultant tw*t and will have some ridiculous bottleneck so the lorries that actually get clearance to enter the new nation state of Kent won’t be able to get out!

Brexit. What an utter fail from start to finish.

mrmo
    Free Member

Ha ha. You also just know that lorry park will be badly designed by some overpaid consultant tw*t and will have some ridiculous bottleneck so the lorries that actually get clearance to enter the new nation state of Kent won’t be able to get out!

It’ll be over budget, and late, as always.

mrmo
    Free Member

Anyone know when the grown ups are arriving?

somafunk

What they’ve forgot to factor in when building that lorry park is the access road which passes under a low height railway bridge*

* Not actually true but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest

Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 13,594 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.