• This topic has 13,592 replies, 208 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by avdave2.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 13,593 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I think shooterman had a valid point about the hubris of the middle class. As someone who is from a north east working class background and started work just as Thatcherism kicked in i watched my working class family deteriorating into the benefits class.

I decided a long time ago to educate, work, employ myself “out” of this and i have some 40 odd years later become probably upper middle class (hoo ****ing ray for me)

I still circulate in the world that was my roots, but i will point out that a lot of the folks i know (including family) are not bone idle but they do expect to be almost hand fed to some extent. I also realise that many folks who voted brexit in the Red Wall (lump of my family is from Blyth and Bedlington) will alwayd be the victims in politics, ecomomics and war.

So in summary these folks will pay the price again in brexit but they will continue to under write Boris’s boys lifestyle. Sorry but it all rolls back to the elephant in the brexit room – people are poorly educated in the broader sense or thick if you want to be unkind.

mattyfez

In more great Brexit news this morning, that sounds totally ‘sunlit uplands’, the supermarkets are saying in the event of ‘No Deal’ then the tariffs slapped on food will see a big rise in household bills.

Was always going to be the case, meanwhile the brexies are saying things like ‘give British trucks priority if there are delays, foreign hauliers will just have to buy more tractor units and trailers to make up for the ones stuck in the UK’.

The massive point they are totally missing is that hauliers will just double or triple the price to deliver goods to the UK, as a lorry that’s parked is a lorry that’s losing money – they simply won’t swallow the cost of extended customs delays, and why should they?

binners

Its a triple whammy when you think about it

The cost of imports of not just food, but everything, is going to increase massively

The costs of exporting to the continent are going to increase massively for UK businesses, thus becoming unviable.

We’re going to have to pay for all this expensive and previously unnecessary customs infrastructure through taxation

Well done Brexiteers! You’ve played a blinder for Britain there

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Mattyfez comments underline my view and people just simply dont even have the most basic grasp of how our world functions (this not an abstract view)

I am convinced that no matter how crap it gets people will accept what they are told and if they are told its “just the way it is” then they will soldier on.

You would literally have to starve these people, (i dont mean foodbank starvation) shut wetherspoons and turn off the power to get the dumb ****ers to sit up and take notice.

I know that the Cummins of this world absolutely understand the limit of the great unwashed, as long as they are living in the same house tgey have always lived in, drinking the same amount of beer, eating the same amount of food they will tolerate any amount of shit and lack of opportunity- i know from my own family the extent of people’s horizons.

I have had some of the most ironic things said to me by my brexit voting family and friends ” my kids dont have the same opportunities as yours” yes they ****ing do you chose to go to the pub rather than helping your kids with GCSE revision, you told your kids University was a waste time, yout told me that this exchange rate thing had nothing to do with the price of petrol… i could write pages of this.

The furlough scheme has “proved” to many that the gov is finally looking after them ffs

asbrooks

‘No Deal’ then the tariffs slapped on food will see a big rise in household bills.

I have to say the in general we in the UK have had it easy when it comes to the cost of necessary items such as food and utility costs.

I consider myself as being European in the sense that I embrace the wider culture exchange that goes on between the European community. I have lived over there and intend to go back once kids fly the roost. Now before someone chimes in and says I was born with silver spoon in my mouth, you’ll be very wrong. My circumstances are the same as Oldmanmtb2 has said above.

In all my years of traveling backwards and forwards between the UK and the rest of Europe, one thing that became obvious to me is that we in the UK pay a great deal less for our food and in general the quality is lower. I see/saw that there are/were less supermarkets and more grocers, like in the UK you would expect to pay more and get better quality from a grocer.

Speaking to my wife’s family who live in France, I am astounded at the cost living in France, their utility bills would make your eyes water and their weekly shop is almost double what I spend on ours.

Brexit will bring those pricing levels to the UK for sure further affecting those communities left behind. Those who thought voting Brexit would bring some sort of utopia for them. I’m afraid it will only get worse for them.

I don’t blame them to be honest, the vote leave campaign was very well organised and the vote remain…. Well I can’t even remember what they had to say..

asbrooks

The costs of exporting to the continent are going to increase massively for UK businesses, thus becoming unviable.

This is my biggest fear… If I were running the business I work for I’d be looking for premises in mainland Europe.

binners

one thing that became obvious to me is that we in the UK pay a great deal less for our food and in general the quality is lower.

Totally agree with that. And it’s about to get a damn sight worse. Imports of higher quality foods from Europe will go up in price considerably.

Meanwhile, a cheaper alternative will be available for the plebs. By jettisoning EU food and animal hygiene standards and signing a trade deal with the US, it’ll open the floodgates for American Corporate Agribusiness with their chlorine-washed chicken, hormone injected beef and GM crops.

There will then be an even bigger divide between the middle classes nibbling their organic fairtrade olives and a working poor eating turkey twizzlers. To add insult to injury, the government who caused all this will then berate them for being obese

Edukator
    Free Member

When I clicked Google on the phone this morning the first article proposed was;

https://fr.reuters.com/article/gb-brexit-france-idFRKCN26G0J2

The British government might be fooling enough of the British people to stay in power but they aren’t fooling the people they’re negotiating with.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m from a farming background. A while ago I was looking at the figures for UK lamb production, sales and import/export. (Can’t remember why now – I think it was to do with the government stating they’d buy up carcases and store them and there actually not being enough storage).

Very roughly UK lamb production is worth £1bn wholesale of which around a third is exported to Europe. We import some, a similar amount – around 30% of total consumption, from New Zealand but that’s mainly because there’s an increase in lamb consumption around Easter and our lambs aren’t ready for slaughter then.

If, as is looking likely, we end up with no deal then lamb imports to Europe will have a tariff imposed. It’s not as easy as saying X% since there’s a certain volume that is allowed in tariff free but New Zealand uses up about 80% of that allowance about half of which comes to the UK so presumably will get reallocated to another country with an EU trade agreement. The current FTA tariff is just under 13%. The WTO tariff, which is being touted as a good thing remember, is between 40% & 90% depending on the exact product.

Since we won’t be having an FTA then the UK’s lamb exports will be subject to that minimum 40% tariff. Short term result? A glut of cheap lamb for maybe a year until the farmers have sold everything on and then reduced their flocks or gone out of business.

tjagain

That’s been clear from the start Edukator. Barnier in particular has impressed me refusing to buy the bullshine or fall into the big pits marked trap

Its adults v petulant children

tjagain

A summary of that article would be handy tho Edukator

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

“That’s been clear from the start Edukator. Barnier in particular has impressed me refusing to buy the bullshine or fall into the big pits marked trap

Its adults v petulant children”

It’s not really though is it? Or do you really believe that? What specifically is it about Barnier that has impressed you? Problem with this thread is that, entertaining as it is, it is one massive echo chamber

tjagain

Barnier has been consistent. Has avoided rhetoric and cant and has exhibited patience in the face of utter nonsense from the UK government who will still not say what they want or produce written positions and who keep shifting the goalposts and posturing

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The EU, and Barnier, have been very clear and concise from the start, about what can and can not happen/be agreed on. The UK on the other hand has swapped between signing agreements, and asking for the moon on a stick.

kelvin

Instead of the “echo chamber” charge… lay out what you think the EU representatives and negotiators should have done differently… and… here’s a bigger challenge… what the UK ones have got right… assuming their task really was/is to get a trade deal (and other essential agreements) in place before we lose all the current arrangements.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

To be honest, one of the main issues that is being faced in the discussions at the moment is that the EU has got used to trying to be firm and watching the Theresa May era team cave in and make changes. Possibly an issue with her wanting to be in control and not listen to others (something she is apparently well known for) and possibly because she was a remainer at heart. The difference now is that the negotiating team are standing their ground and not backing down when the EU team were expecting them to.

From what I have read around the topic it seems that the Govt’s decision to push for the recent legislative change is actually prudent preparation for the potential eventuality of a no deal when we would end up in a situation of the EU being in breach of international law. In a bigger way than the UK is. The fault is with the Withdrawal Agreement that, in fairness, both sides agreed. The biggest problem with it is that the UK Govt has made a complete hash of explaining what they are doing and why.

binners

The biggest problem with it is that the UK Govt has made a complete hash of explaining what they are doing and why.

Quite the reverse of that is the case. What the UK Government actually are actually doing, and why, is to crash us out with no deal so that their disaster capitalist mates can make a killing on the positions they’ve already taken against the pound, then those right-wing headbangers in power can use the ‘opportunity’ created by the resulting chaos to tear up workers rights, environmental controls etc and privatise the NHS

For some bizarre reason, I can’t imagine why, they’re reluctant to actually come out and say so though.

They aren’t making a hash of anything. This was always the plan and they’ve executed it pretty much perfectly. We’re now at the endgame where they shift the blame for the impending catastrophe onto the EU.

From reading your post, it seems thats going well too

somafunk

We’ve caught a big one…….

tjagain

On NI its has always been impossible to have it out of the EU and no borders either on the island or ireland or in theIrish sea.

When what you want to happen is impossible you have to compromise. On NI Johnson decided to compromise on the Irish sea border – the only practical solution. he signed a treaty to this effect.

No not only does he want to renage on this he is gaslighting as to why. Its nothing to do with being prudent. its everything to do with being a unionist and not wanting a reunited irelans which is the end result of the border in the irish sea. The fact his is so dim and illprepared that he did not realise what the WI meant is his problem and his fault – not the EUs

You do realise that the UK keep on asking ythe EU for things that are impiossible under EU law?

dannyh
    Free Member

The EU’s position hasn’t really changed hugely since 24th June 2016.

They’ve been pretty consistent. It became apparent immediately after the referendum result that it was an utterly stupid thing to do and would cause huge ructions down the line.

It is the UK’s problem to resolve. That ‘we’ can’t is because it was sold on the basis of a pack of lies.

kelvin

The difference now is that the negotiating team are standing their ground and not backing down when the EU team were expecting them to.

You’ve taken the drugs. Waiting for the UK to come up with radical alternatives stopped long ago, and there is nothing new that can be proposed, agreed and implemented before the year is out. When we nuked the extension, we were telling the EU that we’d either go along with any agreements they propose, or go with no deal/minimal deal. A whole new ‘comprehensive free trade deal’ that also covers everything else that normally is well outside the remit of a normal FTA is not possible in the time left. We started too late, and set our own impossible to meet deadline to finish. An FTA+ agreement before we leave the SM&CM+ is now dead.

Businesses in Ireland, Holland and France were prepped (and subsidised) by their governments to be ready for no deal… LAST SUMMER. It is UK companies and public bodies that are left unprepared, and unable to prepare, for no deal. What help has your company had to be ready from the UK government… name me one thing… beyond being advertised at saying that they need to be ready? When do they get access to the government systems required in order to trade in the New Year? Isn’t it currently March 2021 (and slipping all the time)? Why are the Irish, Dutch and French systems already available to their companies… how come they were testing them in the field LAST YEAR?

binners

The fact his is so dim and ill prepared that he did not realise what the WI meant is his problem and his fault – not the EU.

Boris Johnson is neither dim nor ill-prepared, though it would suit him for everyone to think both those things true

What he most definitely is though is a scheming, untrustworthy liar. To that end he knew full well (and had apparently privately assured the ERG headbangers) when he signed that Withdrawal Agreement that he had no intention whatsoever of honouring it. He was always going to pull a stunt like the Internal Market Bill. It was just a case of when

He’s always wanted No Deal*. That was always the final destination. And barring a miracle, thats what we’re all going to get. Not by accident, but by design.

* Actually, he doesn’t, personally. He doesn’t believe in Brexit any more than I do. He doesn’t actually believe in anything. But his paymasters have let him have his fun and get to play at being prime minister. Now it’s payback time. And that payback is a No Deal Brexit

matt_outandabout

Sadly, I think binners is right about BoJo.

To go back to the comments about voting as an emotional reaction, my sister and husband both voted out. Why? He personally felt aggrieved by a Home Secretary called Theresa May over contract changes for him as a police officer. My sister as she wanted a change in the Westminster Call Me Dave government. Both are open that this was an emotional response – yet both still are in denial about leaving. They are doubling down on the ‘it is the right thing’. Facts are an irrelevance (still).

Edukator
    Free Member

the EU being in breach of international law

How so?

eskay

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/25/dominic-cummings-data-law-shake-up-a-danger-to-trade-says-eu

Another sector under threat because of Cummings’ hate for gdpr and European data security laws

kelvin

How so?

He’s probably bought into the “not negotiating in good faith” nonsense… ignoring all the arbitration process written into the WA that is specifically there to be used if it really is the case that good faith has broken down. Will the UK trigger it… or tear up the agreement because “the big boys won’t let us have the cake that they warned was never going to available“?

Edukator
    Free Member

What! Like moaning about about someone who’s dropped a couple of apple pips having just fly tipped 20 tonnes of building rubble oneself. 🙂

The UK accusing the EU fo not negotiating in good faith, that really is a laugh.

tjagain

It did amuse me Edukator. Projecting I believe its called

Johnson is dim – thats his problem. He is a dim man pretending that he is pretending to be dim to hide his intellect but actually he just is dim

kelvin

I’ll go with lazy and a sophist. He’s not dim, but he’s the kind of bright person that is entirely unsuitable to lead anything, never mind a country.

grum
    Free Member

The fault is with the Withdrawal Agreement

The one that Boris Johnson signed himself and presented as a triumph? And is now illegally reneging on. That one?

kelvin

And the bit he wants to do away with… that’s the bit that the last PM said we couldn’t sign up to, and when she did he used that to get rid of her, become PM, and then fight an election based on what he wanted. He literally became PM, and won a majority, based on his changes to the WA that he now says needs scrapping, and his supporters now say is the problem.

tjagain

Ian Hislop on Johnson

Boris Johnson, people always ask me the same question, they say, ‘Is Boris a very very clever man pretending to be an idiot?’ And I always say, ‘No.’

He clearly is rather dim. Well educated but dim. Just look at some of the things he has done like quoting Kipling in a temple in Myanmar or failing to understand his own agreement with the EU or catching covid by shaking hands with covid positive people

monkeyboyjc

the supermarkets are saying in the event of ‘No Deal’ then the tariffs slapped on food will see a big rise in household bills.

Just going back to this…
    As someone who works in the industry, we’ve had internal warnings about this since the referendum was announced. It was reported on, debated and thrown out by the leave campaign as “we’ll get a deal, so don’t worry about it”.

After the referendum costs of food wholesale went up for my buisness by around 5 to 10%, yet the rrp on the product remained the same. Margins which are typically around 20% in food retail were seriously squeezed. Thankfully over the last 4 years rrp’s have increased (although most consumers haven’t noticed), but margins haven’t had a similar increase. Example, Heinz beans were price marked at 59p in 2016, 89p in 2017/18 and now 99p a can….
    All I can say is if we still sit with no deal in Dec I’ll be emptying the bank account into European stock, as food inflation in curtain areas (olive oil for one) will be hitting 40% rises.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

So, all you you incredibly intelligent, well read and articulate people (who are quite quick to judge others for not being so) what is the UK legislation attempting to do? Is it reneging on the entire WA? And why has it been enacted? As you are so intelligent and well read, it’s not going to take very long is it…

fingerbang
    Free Member

Deleted

tjagain

The aim is no deal and put blame on the EU for no deal

monkeyboyjc

I’m sure that there are more intelligent people on here than me and there’s probably errors, but from what I understand….. The legislation is trying to make sure that England Ireland Scotland and Wales can trade with the EU on equal terms, and not one country within the uk has preferable conditions…

The problem is that we’ve signed up to the legal framework that under curtain conditions, doesn’t do this and effectively gives preference to NI. By over writing the withdrawal agreement we would brake international law and set a very very bad tone for future agreements.

Basically either BJ didn’t read the small print or he did and wants to Scape goat this for no deal.

molgrips
    Free Member

what is the UK legislation attempting to do?

It gives the UK govt the power to change rules on movement of goods that should be set out in the WA.

kelvin

what is the UK legislation attempting to do?

The WA basically says that without new arrangements being agreed that minimise border requirements between the UK and the EU… some of the new border arrangements (that would be required both to satisfy international law, and EU law and WTO rules) will be implemented on the island of Ireland, and some will be down the Irish sea. A fudge like this (or a different one agreed by all parties) is essential to ensure that No Deal doesn’t completely wreck the Good Friday Agreement. The new legislation is putting two fingers up to all that, and saying that we won’t put in place the arrangements required between GB and NI that we signed up to in the WA… and instead will leave Ireland to find some magic way to put all the arrangements in place on the Ireland of Ireland… which they can not.

There are people now running the UK that not only want the UK to be able to operate outside the EU, but want other countries to be pulled out of the EU as well, notably, if possible, Ireland… and they do not want the Good Friday agreement protected, and give not one damn about people living in Northern Ireland who are Irish… actually, that’s too charitable… they give not one damn about anyone living in Northern Ireland.

kimbers

To be honest, one of the main issues that is being faced in the discussions at the moment is that the EU has got used to trying to be firm and watching the Theresa May era team cave in and make changes. Possibly an issue with her wanting to be in control and not listen to others (something she is apparently well known for) and possibly because she was a remainer at heart. The difference now is that the negotiating team are standing their ground and not backing down when the EU team were expecting them to.

FFS, thats the opposite of what actually happened!

Johnson caved completely on NI , something May had steadfastly refused to do for her entire time as PM

Johnson folded in the WA & will fold to get an FTA, he will fold on state aid, he will fold on food standards (so he can declare ending the made-up food blockade of NI a victory) & he will fold on fishing

(& then in 6 months time he will try & get out of those promises too)

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 13,593 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.