Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 13,581 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I would love to be there, sticking the boot in when Nissan pull out of Sunderland, but you have to remember that even in those areas a sizeable minority voted sensibly for Remain. Unfortunately there are going to be good people affected badly by all this too.

The only accurate way to do it is to wait until someone has shown their hand. Then, if they are one of the morons who voted themselves into poverty, it is open season.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I only ever carried one real hatred though my life and that was what Thatcher did to the North East (i know old news) and now i have two with Brexit.

On two occasions the political class of this country has reduced my opportunity and limited my life choices. All to keep a minority well looked after.

exsee
    Free Member

Get a bloody grip. Jeez.

stumpyjon

Oldmanmtb2, there’s a difference, what Thatcher did was going to happen anyway, it would have taken longer, possibily been more painful and not given people a hate figure to blame for the way the world was going and their inability to keep up (Not defending Thatcher, she had a real hatred of working class people and little empathy for the effects of her policies. Despite all that she was idealogical driven, it wasn’t self interest).

Brexit on the other hand was entirely avoidable, pushed solely for personal gain, be that short term political or making money from the chaos. It’s also a lot less reversible.

AD

Oh look – apparently its all the EU’s fault…
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/01/boris-johnson-infuriated-eu-reneges-free-trade-deal/
    We’ll no doubt see a lot of this narrative running over the coming months albeit with shorter words and more pictures in the Express.

Anyone seen a publication date for the potential Russian interference report?

epicyclo

The good news is we’ll soon have a war.

That’s if history repeats itself, only we seem to be the other side now.

Financial collapse.
    Rise of right wing politics.
    Othering of minorities or the non-pure born.
    Start fights in other countries.
    Up “defence” spending.
    Declare war.
    Rise in patriotism and suppression of opposition
    Glorious victories
    More glorious victories, but closer to home
    Even more glorious victories, but now on our doorstep.
    Oops!

Cougar

we can take back control and surpass EU ideals

If you think a corner shop is going to be able to negotiate better deals with its distributors than Tesco you’re living in cloud cuckoo land.

What are you taking control of, exactly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oldmanmtb2, there’s a difference, what Thatcher did was going to happen anyway, it would have taken longer, possibily been more painful and not given people a hate figure to blame for the way the world was going and their inability to keep up

It had to happen – but it didn’t have to happen like that. It could have been manged carefully, rather than just pulling the plug.

Use intellygents to win the long game, we can take back control and surpass EU ideals over the next few decades.

Hmm. We have no trade deals currently, we only have 11 months to negotiate loads of deals, and our opponents in negotiation know this. Our main focus is on the EU and the US – both of whom are MUCH bigger and more powerful than us. They both have the power to get us to do whatever we want, because they know we NEED the deals. I don’t think there’s much that we produce that they can’t get elsewhere; however we need what they produce (more so the EU than the US I think). Not only that, but both those parties have opposing demands, so we will be unlikely to be able to get a deal that satisfies both of them, and if they aren’t satisfied with what we offer we won’t get much from them.

Don’t kid yourself, we are in a very weak position, not least because of the ticking clock. We aren’t going to get a better deal with anyone than we had last week. Especially not the EU, because there is no better deal than being in it, and they absolutely cannot allow anyone to have a better deal than their members otherwise they’d remove their entire reason for being.

You need to look beyond flag waving patriotism and think about what’s actually going to have to happen.

Am I alone in being stuck in the quandary of wanting ‘my side’ to be proved right

Maybe. I desperately want to be wrong. Tribalism is as stupid as nationalism. Politics and economics are what they are, we need to learn to understand the systems so we can make informed decisions and NOT just follow our tribe because let’s face it, that’s what got us into this mess in the first place.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

You can probably track the North East Brexit vote right back to Thatchers deindustrialisation “policy”

Her utter hatred of Unionised working folk meant that there was never anything beyond her objective of breaking the Unions.

That was phase 1 deregulation
    This is phase 2 deregulation
    Phase 3 is the “final sell off”

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Phase 3
    At some point this gov will have to raise some serious cash(not borrow) they will have to cash in on some assets and/or turn a cost centre into a profit centre.

1. NHS
    2. Civil Service
    3. Public land for development
    4. Licences for services (social etc)
    5. Fracking (needs must?)
    6. Supply licences (power water etc)

I am sure Dom has a few ideas…

mattyfez

Get a bloody grip. Jeez.

Can you let me know what will happen to my elderly fathers healthcare?

He lives in Spain and is completely reliant on reciprocal healthcare agreements.

Thanks.

cinnamon_girl

Then, if they are one of the morons who voted themselves into poverty, it is open season.

Is that the best you can do @dannyh ?

You really are a vile individual.

chewkw
    Free Member

Financial collapse.

That will not happen.
    Financial fluctuation? Yes, but I can predict that all day long for the entire world.

Rise of right wing politics.

Yes, they will come into the open which is good and normal.
    I rather they show themselves than hide their true feeling after so many years of PC and social engineering.
    However, they will not have it their ways coz the world does not work that way and there will always be a counterbalance somewhere.

Othering of minorities or the non-pure born.

Not sure what this means but I really doubt the govt can do anything if people comply with the law.

Start fights in other countries.

They don’t have too coz there are already many to fight at home.

Up “defence” spending.

Yes, that is definite regardless. In fact they should double or triple it.

Declare war.

Why? What for? Don’t other country(s) have better things to do?

Rise in patriotism and suppression of opposition

A better way of putting is this.
    The winner will always put others in their place regardless.

Glorious victories

All victories are glorious until the next defeat.

More glorious victor

Only if they can do as told by the power lend to them.

More glorious victories, but closer to home

Being re-elected? UK remain United?

Even more glorious victories, but now on our doorstep.

Yes, being surprisingly more competitive even with all the pressure.

whatgoesup

Blimey. I just clicked through to the facebook post of someone who shared a totally racist post (the gist was that “Muslim groomers should all be sent home immediately” – i.e. making the insulation that Muslims are groomers. I don’t normally see this sort of thing as like most of us my facebook friends tend to be people with similar views to me own so wouldn’t.

I was curious as to who would share that so clicked through onto the earlier sharers page. Blimey – it’s a never ending torrent of bile aimed against foreigners – story after story of dubious truthfulness linking every evil to other nationalities, shock fear mongering stories about Coronovirus (a video of someone convulsing under a blood-stained dirty sheet, probably totally unrelated) – pictures of a dead bat in a bowl of soup saying how dirty the Chinese are “it’s no wonder we get viruses because of them” and it goes on and on. I don’t think any is self-generated, just shared content from others, so probably an account like millions of others.

It worries me both that this type of world view is out there (and I suspect fairly common), but also that with the modern “echo chamber” society this probably won’t get challenged.
    I’m guilty of perpetuating that – I don’t want to get into huge arguments over the internet, so just quietly left his page and if my friend posts more stuff like that I’ll likely just un-follow her.

Not sure what my point is – just a bit of a thoughtful rant.

dannyh
    Free Member

@cinnamon_girl

Can you please outline what you think the benefits of Brexit are?

You voted for it after all.

By the way, I deliberately didn’t have a go at you on a previous thread because you were being courteous and trying to make a point in a genuine manner.

Now you call me ‘vile’.

So, I can assure you this time that I won’t be shedding any tears if your bad decision has bad consequences for you. I wouldn’t take pleasure in it, but nor would I have any sympathy. Sorry and all that.

A piece of advice. Save your buyer’s regret fuelled anger for those who duped you in the first place.

Oh, and it doesn’t matter to me what names you call me. I learned a long time ago to only be upset by what people say if I respect them enough to take notice. So in this case I am not remotely bothered.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

dudeofdoom

He’s not really,he’s infuriated with the current situation.

cchris2lou

People voted 3 times for Brexit, they can have it and face the consequences. No sympathy for me either.

dudeofdoom

Blimey. I just clicked through to the facebook post of someone who shared a totally racist post (the gist was that “Muslim groomers should all be sent home immediately” – i.e. making the insulation that Muslims are groomers. I don’t normally see this sort of thing as like most of us my facebook friends tend to be people with similar views to me own so wouldn’t.

I was curious as to who would share that so clicked through onto the earlier sharers page. Blimey – it’s a never ending torrent of bile aimed against foreigners – story after story of dubious truthfulness linking every

Dont unfriend just learn how to use the report hate/fake news on Facebook, I know it sounds a bit nobby but it’s the only way to stop it.

chewkw
    Free Member

It worries me both that this type of world view is out there (and I suspect fairly common), but also that with the modern “echo chamber” society this probably won’t get challenged.

They have always been there. Never gone. Ever.
    You want them gone then let them express their views.
    But you will Never get rid of all of them coz that is Not good either.

dannyh
    Free Member

He lives in Spain and is completely reliant on reciprocal healthcare agreements.

Thanks.

No he can’t. That would mean knowing stuff about the detail.

But if he does try it will be a load of words that could be neatly summarised as “I’m sure we’ll sort something out”.

pondo

Is that the best you can do @dannyh ?

I’ve had three years of trying to argue logically about Brexit (because we needed to understand each other’s position, and to unite and not be devisive), and once it became clear that there WERE going to be no tangible benefits, all I got back was “dry your remoaner tears”, “leftie snowflake traitor” and “we won, you lost, get over it”. So we’ve passed the tipping point now – I place the blame squarely with the politicians who sold a lie and the media who were complicit in spreading the lie and throttling the truth, but I feel no longer bound by any sense that I need to be the one who has to compromise. If people are celebrating Brexit, I’m going to call them out for being the morons that they are.

Dark-Side

Is that the best you can do @dannyh ?

You don’t get to be offended by someone pointing out the stupidity of voting for Brexit, especially if it negatively impacts your quality of life. I’m fed up of leavers acting all butt hurt because they don’t like us nasty remainers pointing out that you broke it, you own it.

I’ll tell you who can be offended by Brexit, my Finnish wife who no longer feels welcome in this country amid an increasingly nationalistic and right wing populist nation, or even me, an owner of a business that that exports the vast majority of its services and STILL doesn’t know what financial impact this absolute bit of a mess will have on my business and employees.

It’s not vile to point out the stupidity of voting for Brexit, it’s vile to have voted for it in the first place, and legitimised the nasty, insular racist rhetoric that factions of the media and the English population now feel emboldened to spread.

dannyh
    Free Member

Anyway, I don’t know what the Brexies are so antsy about.

I mean, all that has to happen is for Brexit to be a roaring success. A success that creates jobs and wealth rather than destroying them. Piece of piss. And that would mean the likes of me shutting my gob forever about it.

Many of the Brexies seem confident it is the best **** thing since sliced bread, so they don’t need to be so angry as they are going to be ones saying ‘I told you so’, right? Nothing to worry about.

It might happen. But then a squadron of low flying pigs might roar overhead any minute too.

Ewan
    Free Member

Thanks.

I believe that is ok – as long as he stays put. The withdrawal agreement agreed healthcare for life (for existing residents) – https://www.thelocal.es/20200128/brexit-four-rights-for-brits-in-spain-that-are-guaranteed-with-withdrawal-agreement

dudeofdoom

Thanks.

No he can’t. That would mean knowing stuff about the detail.

But if he does try it will be a load of words that could be neatly summarised as “I’m sure we’ll sort something out”.

I’m in the same position , I actually think that Brexit was an act of total selfishness,there was clarity on all these things before but now No ones got a scooby doo.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’ll tell you who can be offended by Brexit, my Finnish wife who no longer feels welcome in this country amid an increasingly nationalistic and right wing populist nation, or even me, an owner of a business that that exports the vast majority of its services and STILL doesn’t know what financial impact this absolute bit of a mess will have on my business and employees.

I have a few Finnish friends, yes, they ain’t my spouse etc but I can tell you many Finnish don’t think exactly like you think they are. They are trying to comply with the EU system but they are not that happy put it this way, they can bear with it but for how long we don’t know. For Finland they join EU partly because they just want to keep a safe distance from their mortal invaders from the east.
    What I am trying to say is that you cannot expect 100% of the people to welcome everyone coz that will be a silly assumption.

Dark-Side

I have a few Finnish friends, yes, they ain’t my spouse etc but I can tell you many Finnish don’t think exactly like you think they are. They are trying to comply with the EU system but they are not that happy put it this way, they can bear with it but for how long we don’t know. For Finland they join EU partly because they just want to keep a safe distance from their mortal invaders from the east.

And this sums up Brexiters in a nutshell. You know a few Finns apparently that aren’t happy with the EU, well I know or I am related to hundreds that will call that utter bollocks.

Drac

Some of my best friends are Finns. 😂

dannyh
    Free Member

And this sums up Brexiters in a nutshell. You know a few Finns apparently that aren’t happy with the EU, well I know or I am related to hundreds that will call that utter bollocks.

Yeah, but some bloke down the pub says that we aren’t allowed bendy bananas.

Also, you don’t need to be Finnish to call that utter bollocks.

chewkw
    Free Member

That is my own experience and my friends are from Turku and Helsinki. You know perfectly well how they make jokes of each other even in their own country. “Oh ya … he is from Turku they are weird” replied my friend from Helsinki. I asked why but I got funny answers.

Some of my best friends are Finns. 😂

I have friends but I have only few best friends that I grew up with (in other parts of the world).
    However, I have some good friends from all over the world.

Caher

Just been watching Dominic Raaabbb on Andrew Marr he seems nervous and not very convincing. Like he doesn’t believe what he saying himself.

mattyfez

I believe that is ok – as long as he stays put. The withdrawal agreement agreed healthcare for life (for existing residents)

The CHEAP words of a member of the British government though.. Any Spanish source?
    How effective has our British American ambassador been in extradition of that woman who falsely claimed diplomatic imunity after causing death by dangerous driving?

With the UK Gov making it very awkward for EU nationals in the UK, what if the UK denies reciprocal healthcare to EU citizens after the WA period ?

You think that won’t change thier attitude?
    Nothing has been legally agreed, it’s all just ‘trust us, it’ll be fine’…

… From a bunch of people who have repeatedly proven to be completely untrustworthy.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just been watching Dominic Raaabbb on Andrew Marr he seems nervous and not very convincing. Like he doesn’t believe what he saying himself.

It is starting to dawn on them.

Another absolute priority is making sure these bastards carry the can for what they have done.

They know the damage this is going to do, but they proceeded and told lies to enable it.

I call it ‘treason’.

ratherbeintobago

Poundshop Trump

He isn’t Poundshop Trump.

He’s Poundshop Berlusconi.

Is that because he’s telling whoppers and knows that it’ll be screengrabbed and used against him?

dannyh
    Free Member

Also, everything in politics is a double edged sword to some extent.

The Tories’ majority cuts off a line of retreat for them. Much more difficult to say “we didn’t get the deals we wanted because of remainer obstruction in parliament”.

Sandwich

. We have no trade deals currently, we only have 11 months to negotiate loads of deals,

We have less time than that, the deal has to be ratified by EU Parliament before the end of the year. Negotiations start in March(!) I make that around 7 months max. I still have my paddle but the creek is full of ordure and I don’t have firm grasp of the means of propulsion.

Edit. The Finns, a nation that knows what it is like to try and hold a much larger neighbour at bay.

Drac

😢

Come on this can’t carry on.

dannyh
    Free Member

He’s Poundshop Berlusconi.

Poundshop Von Papen more like.

mattyfez

Trade Secretary Liam Fox:

“We’re going to replicate the 40 EU free trade agreements that exist before we leave the European Union, so we’ve got no disruption of trade,”

“I hear people saying ‘oh we won’t have any [free trade agreements] before we leave.’ Well, believe me, we’ll have up to 40 ready for one second after midnight in March 2019,” said Fox to cheering Tory activists.

“All these faint hearts saying we cannot do it”

Now we’ve got Liz Truss.. How many trade agreements has she ratified?

chewkw
    Free Member

Poundshop …

What is wrong with Poundshop?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 13,581 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.