Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 13,593 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Which was already the case after 3 months under EU rules.

kelvin

Well it does if they aren’t rich

Indeed, and you don’t need to be “poor” to be excluded… the income thresholds are similar to ours.

Brexit screws all but the rich.

Edukator
    Free Member

the income thresholds are similar to ours.

And who started that particular arms race? The EUs strategy has slowly evolved into “we’ll just reciprocate whatever arsehole measures they take”. See the Corona stuff, Boris imposes a quarantaine and Macron reciprocates, and then I have to correct people on this very forum when they turn it around and blame France.

Putting my béret on I see the EU responding in a calm, measured manner to endless provocation from Britain. If I were Barnier I’d have long since slammed the door and told the UK team to go home and come back begging on 1/01/2021, and demanded more money than the old contribution before even considereing a limited financial passport. Which is the way the US handles these things – give us everything we want and we’ll throw you scraps, and still randomly apply sanctions and tarrifs.

kelvin

Are you are willfully missing the point? We know this is all the fault of the UK’s decision to leave the EU… and subsequent decisions by the Vote Leave government as regards EU citizens… the point of that Twitter thread is that the Brexit voting family and their idiot son still don’t get that yet.

Edukator
    Free Member

What I don’t understand in that Twitter thread is that the guy isn’t pointing out that nothing changes for the couple’s current use of the property, i.e. less than 90 days because they aren’t retired yet and they can apply for visas if they want to spend longer on retirement. What the income/pension requirements will be in 5 years time when they retire we have no idea but there’s no need to rush to sell now. In fact Local estate agents are reporting quite the opposite, there’s a boom of Brits buying in rural France right now because they have been reasssured they’ll still be able to holiday in their places post Brexit and in all probablity will be able to retire to them too.

Anyhow, I’m in the same fortunate position as Mr Archer as a dual national but try to inform people rather than gloating and making their situation out to be worse than it is.

France and Spain both recognise the contribution foreign residents make to their economies and aren’t about to cut off their noses to spite their faces, unlike some. Which is perhaps why Barnier is persisting where I would have thrown in the towel and said see you in six months for a rematch.

sobriety
    Free Member

You don’t understand, it’s not about the point or whether you agree with him. Edukator is right and you wrong.

I’m sure it’s in one of the pinned posts somewhere…

Edukator
    Free Member

Anything on Brexit to add, Sobriety, how did you vote? I’m sooo pleased you recognise I’m right in this case. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

If Edukator were in charge we’d have had WWs III, IV and V by now over some trivial point about renewable energy.

binners

Now the deadline for extending the transition period is over, the reality is coming out

First details emerge of system for checks on goods crossing Irish Sea

HMRC document shows firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three types of electronic paperwork

I watched PMQ’s yesterday and I’m pretty certain Joris Bohnson clearly stated that there would be no customs checks between Ireland and the UK. Imagine my shock at discovering he wasn’t being entirely honest

tjagain

Edukator I think the killer point is healthcare. Brits in the EU will no longer get free healthcare but will need insurance. As many of them are elderly and have health issues for many insurance is simply unaffordable

llama

See the account posting that twitter thread has gone. I was looking forward to today’s instalment. I guess it got shared a bit too widely / was fiction / got slapped.

BoardinBob

I guess it got shared a bit too widely / was fiction / got slapped.

It was fiction based on some Twitter sleuthing. A new account and the profile picture was reverse image searched and it was a stock picture from somewhere, as was the picture of the camper van in the users banner

Edukator
    Free Member

So Mr nasty dual-national Archer was just someone trying to wind people up, but whom, and why?

If you officially live in France more than 183 days a year you are entitled to healthcare, TJ. That applies to anyone. It’s mainly the people who spend a few weeks or months a year here who will have to organise their own insurance unless somthing is sorted out in negotiations.

kelvin

We aren’t allowed to live in France for 183 days next year.

crazy-legs

See the account posting that twitter thread has gone. I was looking forward to today’s instalment. I guess it got shared a bit too widely / was fiction / got slapped.

The last post from the account claimed that his Twitter was being hacked by pro-Brexit people and his DM’s were full of death threats.

I think it was fairly obvious that it was parody from a few lines in but it was entertaining and, like most good stories, you could dig out kernels of truth from within it or apply the broad brush strokes to people you know.

Edukator
    Free Member

If I were Barnier I’d have long since slammed the door and told the UK team to go home and come back begging on 1/01/2021,

It seems he has:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/02/brexit-talks-break-up-early-over-serious-disagreements-michel-barnier

You don’t know unless you ask, Kelvin. Move today and you’ve got 3 months to find a job or start working for yourself. When you’ve done that fill in all the right forms, then you’ll find out.

kelvin

Yes, let’s right, I’ll move today. Simple.

kelvin

So… now the deadline for extension has passed, the PM is talking up No Deal. Everyone act surprised.

Riksbar

Ah yes, the Australian sorry, Papua New Guinea style agreement.

crazy-legs

Oh look, the thing we wanted and that we lied and cheated and broke all the laws to get, we now realise is actually a massive steaming pile of turd and we don’t want it anymore. Who can we blame?

binners

I had a feeling this would all end up being our fault.

Brexit… brought to you by the people who absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for any of their actions

Everything is always blamed on anyone else but themselves

tjagain

Have you spotted the bit where the tories want a UK compliance unit or something that will examine all legislation passed in the devolved parliaments to make sure they do not distort the UK single market ie Scotland will not be allowed to keep EU standards or refuse chlorinated chicken and this unit will be made up of westminster appointees with the “power” to rule out legislation passed at Holyrood. apart from the fact they cannot do this legally can yo magine a bigger gift to the SNP?

better link
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/18561932.holyrood-will-resist-biggest-devolution-power-grab-yet-uk/

dannyh
    Free Member

That ‘Leave Alliance’ post is the height of ****ery.

No it’s your mess you xenophobic, racist, right wing shithead.

Now stop your whingeing and if you are sincere (which I doubt) then put some effort in to mitigate the damage from your cretinous actions.

Dickhead.

kelvin

The Norths proposed a close EFTA style new arrangement from the outset… it was never going to happen though, as their fellow travellers were always going to use Brexit to push for a hard break from Europe, to make money from the realignments that will be forced on the UK in its wake. Blaming people who warned of this from the start is no surprise.

binners

This was always an ideologically driven project to remove the UK from the EU regulatory framework, so they can then tear up environmental controls, food standards, workers rights etc

Given that, no deal was the only logical destination.

Blaming remainers for that takes some serious front though, even for them. As my gran used to say “Their faces would stand clogging”

kimbers

Well isn’t that funny

Because

teethgrinder

That ‘Leave Alliance’ post is the height of ****ery.

That’s because they and their ilk are, in fact, ****.

metalheart
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/09/thursday-briefing-brexit-were-not-ready-trade-secretary-warns

Who could possibly have predicted this?

I mean you’ve geniuses like Dominic ‘who knew ports would be important for an island nation’ Raaaaab on the case….

eskay

Another 700million added to the cost of Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53375713

binners

Here’s a good first glimpse into the mindset of this government in a post-Brexit UK.

First thing on the agenda: reign in the powers of the devolved assemblies to concentrate power back in Westminster. Well, who’d have thunk it?

Boris Johnson accused of plan to ’emasculate’ UK devolution

kelvin

A tale in two tweets:

binners

In an article for The Telegraph, Mr Smith does not explicitly rule out the possibility of chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef being allowed into the country as part of a US trade deal.

And neither will anyone in government. Again…. who’d have thunk it?

And they won’t be ruling out ‘opening up’ the NHS to American private healthcare firms, or anything else we were previously told was sacrosanct.

Absolutely everything will be on the table as they sell us all down the river to line their own pockets

kelvin

Not only that, they will, I predict, do so, while also telling us they never will… all the way… for the next decade… this is not just a 2021 issue, and they’ve proved that there is no consequences if you deliver one thing, while loudly proclaiming you are delivering the opposite.

There are many “world class”, “world beating” shit sandwiches coming our way.

binners

They’re about to deliver the full ‘Shock Doctrine’, 1970’s South America style.

They know full-well that Brexit on top of Covid will deliver an economic collapse that will make the banking crisis look like a minor hiccup.

They will use the following chaos to rapidly drive through policies they wouldn’t have a hope of delivering in normal times.

It’s incredible to think that we now have a government so wedded to their idealogical zealotry that they believe that economic catastrophe for tens of millions of their own citizens is a price well worth paying to further their Ultra-neoliberal right-wing agenda.

This country isn’t going to be a good place to be when this shit gets real in January

kelvin

Not just a price worth paying, but essential for their cause.

Who’d be a farmer going into this? Desperate times ahead for many.

tjagain

the US has made it utterly clear that lowering food standards and opening up the NHS are their prerequisites for a trade deal

that leaves farmers in an impossible situation. Keep standards high to be able to export to europe and be undercut by the US. Lower to US standards and then they cannot export to the EU

As for the NHS – the tories are being paid to give it to the US healthcare companies and to allow US prices for drugs which are grossly inflated and many times the european prices. Paid. Billions. Many of tory MPS

doomanic

As for the NHS – the tories are being paid to give it to the US healthcare companies and to allow US prices for drugs which are grossly inflated and many times the european prices. Paid. Billions. Many of tory MPS

Citation required.

binners

In 4 years time, none of the present Tory cabinet will still be ministers.

I’d put my house on most of them all being in obscenely paid ‘consultancy’ positions with the US private healthcare/big pharma companies that will have colonised the NHS, as well as other companies that will have benefitted enormously from Brexit, ie: financial services companies now freed from EU regulation once we officially become a tax haven for all manner of dodgy bastards

binners

Citation required.

Have a quick Google. It’d be quicker and easier to list the Tory MPs without links to private healthcare providers and big US pharma companies. If there are any. It’s almost a given.

Our present health secretary, little Matty Handjob, has strong links with them, as did his predecessor.

Conflict of interest? Certainly not. Move along now… nothing to see here…

dannyh
    Free Member

In 4 years time, none of the present Tory cabinet will still be ministers.

I’d put my house on most of them all being in obscenely paid ‘consultancy’ positions with the US private healthcare/big pharma companies that will have colonised the NHS, as well as other companies that will have benefitted enormously from Brexit, ie: financial services companies now freed from EU regulation once we officially become a tax haven for all manner of dodgy bastards

A million times this. They are all connected – the dodgy shits who are going to profit from this bonfire of protections and their mates whatever going to deliver it for them. They will be well looked after when they have **** the rest of us over.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 13,593 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.