Viewing 40 posts - 11,121 through 11,160 (of 13,581 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Spanish tourist board are having a melt down over this

are they like the German Car Industry ?

dudeofdoom

There’s currently a thing circulating on Facebook in Spain that you require an International Driving Permit to drive on holiday and people have been fined for not having one.

There’s actually a Spanish police Facebook group (N332)trying to find out if anyone has been fined as this is not the case.

Expat Facebook groups are grim thou.

dudeofdoom

are they like the German Car Industry ?

Dunno but if the regs were being applied nearly every U.K. holidaymaker would be being turned back at the border,this isn’t a new rule and I’m not sure how many people are packing bank statements for their holibobs which unless I missed the news isn’t the case.

sc-xc

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is this Project Fear?

dudeofdoom

Dunno why it’s hitting the news as it’s not a new thing,it’s the boggo 3rd country rules.

If you read the mail it’s could be applied.

There’s tons of these 3rd party rules that are now applicable – Spanish driving licence exchange (or not as the case is at the moment)

The media seems to dredge them up on a slow day for some reason.

It’s almost like the solution to all the eu travel woes is to put you off travelling to the eu and those nasty furriners that are punishing you for daring to leave the eu 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Well thanks to our govs inability to understand international law. I’ve spent money I didn’t need to. Animal health certificates for Ireland. Not even asked about the dogs.
    And the greatest of indignations having to get a UK plate, vast majority of UK registered car didn’t bother. Did see one on the ferry back with three UK stickers, they had also taped over the euro part of the their plate so they’re obviously loving Brexit.

Northwind

Progress innit, my dad put a SCO one on all his cars, guess I’ll do the same

dudeofdoom

Wine wholesaler moving to France to ease his costs.

Dan Dan The Wine Man

He was probably the first person to really bang on about this and the crazy costs of importing stuff now.

dudeofdoom

His twatter feeds an interesting one – he gets a lot of love from Brexit huggers with their crazy ideas of getting the wine from elsewhere and boycotting eu products.

llama

“Yes, of course I got it wrong, but I got it wrong for the right reason, if I may put it that way”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/jacob-rees-mogg-admits-i-was-wrong-to-say-brexit-would-not-cause-dover-delays

nickc

so wait, it’s French customs officials not turning up for work that’s causing delays? That ‘s a shit situation to be in if the loss of just 6 customs officials can bring our major port to a standstill. I wonder how that happened?

intheborders
    Free Member

I wonder how that happened?

How?

A bit like the railway workers – no need for everyone to go on strike, just the few that the network can’t run without.

I reckon Macron was pi55ing himself with laughter.

mattyfez

It’s almost funny, a bit like the nonsense about people visiting Spain now being required to prove they have €85+ per day to support themselves, or be refused entry.

Like most right wing propaganda, there is a slither of truth buried within the faux outrage.

What it means in reality is that if you fit a certain profile, you’ll be quizzed deeper by border officials, for example a lone traveller with hand baggage only and a one way ticket, and no pre-booked hotel and no family to stay with, no credit cards and/or very little cash on you…

… you’re gonna get your collar felt, as chances are your an illegal immigrant or a smuggler or something.

International travel and customs have always been like this, it’s just that when we were in the EU we had freedom of movement within the EU, and now we don’t, so it doesn’t matter if we are from the UK or Peru, the same rules apply, contary to populist belief, EU countries have full control over thier boaders when it comes to non-EU citizens.

kelvin

Are we far enough away from Freedom Day for the “rip off Britain” headlines to start dominating the papers? I think not… that’ll probably wait for a Labour government to be taking the blame… the material is there for journalists already though…

Zara charges Brits 50% more as Decathlon blames Brexit for price increases

Klunk
    Free Member

friend in france was saying it’s getting more expensive to ship to the UK (even with no restrictions to the UK) due to the hassle and delays of the return trip for the shippers.

martinhutch

Meanwhile, in blue-rinse policy land, here’s the well-hidden consultation on the triumphant return of imperial measures, thanks to haunted Victorian pencil.

https://beisgovuk.citizenspace.com/opss/measurements/

Seems fair and balanced to me – albeit there is no option to reject the option for more imperial measures…and will deliver 100% support for the return of lbs and oz.

‘Do you want shit on toast or a shit burrito?’

5plusn8
    Free Member

hmm, I have no objection to buying food in imperial if thats what pisses people off, its moronic, but so are lots of things, each to their own. However construction, engineering and manufacturing practice and standards rely on metric and we can’t change back now.
    This is another portent of the **** mess we are wading into. We really are up shit creek now.

martinhutch

I have no objection to buying food in imperial if thats what pisses people off, its moronic, but so are lots of things, each to their own.

Anyone born after the 70s will have no education or interest in this archaism. It’s pathetic pandering to a very select, very small audience of people who want us to return to those glory days. We are already heading for a 70s vibe with double-digits inflation, why don’t we get another bailout from the IMF to complete the box-set?

dovebiker

Never mind imperial measures, the whole shit-show about the UKCA mark introduction and effectively barring CE mark from the UK. Businesses having to re-certify products just to retain access to the markets whilst some ‘lifed’ CE products get scrapped.
    Higher costs, prices and reduced choice – so much winning!

intheborders
    Free Member

Anyone born after the 70s will have no education or interest in this archaism. It’s pathetic pandering to a very select, very small audience of people who want us to return to those glory days.

TBH just ask anyone who supports imperial measurements how many Pounds in a Hundredweight, Yards in a Chain or Fluid Ounces in a Pint.

Odds on they’ll then just look ‘foolish’.

martinhutch

I would add that I was born in 1970 and I have no clue how many pounds are in a stone, oz in a pound, or yards in a mile. I can manage inches in a foot, that’s about it.

tomd
    Free Member

That survey is weird. Can anyone think of any actual benefits of being able to sell soley in imperial units or in more prominent imperial units?

The thing I can see is that a 1lb is usefully about 10% smaller than 500g, so all those 500g and 1kg bags of rice and pasta will become 1 or 2 lb but with no change in price.

Poopscoop

Now this is a great read on Emily Maitlis’ thoughts on why much of the media has not been able to fully expose populism for what it is and is hamstrung when it comes to telling the people the full effects of Brexit.

In the case of Brexit, Maitlis said: “It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.

“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62662212

breatheeasy
    Free Member

hmm, I have no objection to buying food in imperial if thats what pisses people off, its moronic, but so are lots of things, each to their own.

No, but if you’re selling to UK and to EU then suddenly you might need to run one product line in imperial and another for the metric in the EU which adds costs that really don’t need to be there.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I would add that I was born in 1970 and I have no clue how many pounds are in a stone, oz in a pound, or yards in a mile. I can manage inches in a foot, that’s about it.

I have a really screwed up set of measurements – big distances in miles down to maybe half a mile, then its metres down to about 5 metres, then back to feet until about 12 inches then back to centimetres. Anything accurate is in mm regardless of distance though.

onehundredthidiot

It’s almost funny, a bit like the nonsense about people visiting Spain now being required to prove they have €85+ per day to support themselves, or be refused entry

I read the .gov website on traveling to Europe and it stated that you will need to be able to prove you have enough money for the trip. Anti-EUs getting upset about something their own gov has told them about but then it was in the details.

molgrips
    Free Member

if you’re selling to UK and to EU then suddenly you might need to run one product line in imperial and another for the metric in the EU

Well no, it’s just labelling. You dont have to sell in round Imperial units. You could sell 1lb 1.8oz of something easily enough.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Well no, it’s just labelling. You dont have to sell in round Imperial units. You could sell 1lb 1.8oz of something easily enough.

Well, you could but the swivel eyed loons aren’t going to buy 1lb 1.8oz of something just so johnny foreigner can have a nice round 500g as the dual labelling are they?

The people who care about this are the ones that bend sweet shop owners ears of the UK about not wanting 100g of boiled sweets but a quarter of them. They’ll want to buy a pint of something, or a pound. Plus then it’ll be easy to compare the price against another option of the same weight. Do that and then you’re screwing up your EU labelling.

mattyfez

I read the .gov website on traveling to Europe and it stated that you will need to be able to prove you have enough money for the trip. Anti-EUs getting upset about something their own gov has told them about but then it was in the details.

It’s utter nonsence.

What the UK media are trying to say is that, if you are a bit suspicious, or a bit shifty, like…

You’ll likley be questioned by border officials, you know, to prevent smugglers and such.

If you are a family going on holiday with a return flight, you just won’t be questioned.

On the other hand, if you are for example a lone traveler with a one way ticket, and no cash or no credit, or no place to stay, you might be flagged and viewed as a bit of a wrong’un and deported.

This is nothing new.

I know this might come as a shock to some, now we are out of the EU, and you know, that little thing called freedom of movement within the EU, but we, the UK voted to get rid of our rights to freedom of movement in EU countries.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, you could but the swivel eyed loons aren’t going to buy 1lb 1.8oz of something just so johnny foreigner can have a nice round 500g as the dual labelling are they?

Too bad.

mattyfez

This is what I don’t understand, I buy milk by the litre, as it’s metric and I know what that is.
    I go to the pub and buy a pint.

I know very well what I’m getting, in both situtations.. a pint being a bit less than a litre. And I don’t really care as long as I get a good glass of beer.

But when it comes to business, this mix-n-match shit won’t fly. I dont’t care if I have one less, or one extra sip of beer from a glass.

If I’m buying things in bulk it becomes far more important. Thats why we need logical, sensible and scalable units of measurement.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Currently working on an engineering project that’s in imperial units.

On the upside I can now convert decimal to base 12 without thinking and do my 14.7 times table.

frankconway

When the current generation of gammons who lap up this bollocks and are the target audience for truss, sunak and ree-smug die are there gammons-in-training to replace them?
    Is it like growing orcs – a la Lord of the Rings – where each new one is worse than it’s predecessor?

jamiemcf

Well it’s this simple.

12 inch to a foot
    3 foot to a yard
    22 yards to a chain
    80 chains to a mile
    1760 feet to a mile

What’s wrong with that divisible system?

bluerob

That’s 1:3 scale. Makes for a massive map compared to 1” to the mile. 😉

finishthat
    Free Member

“1760 feet to a mile”

Non!

dyna-ti

1 mile = 5280ft

reeksy

I know very well what I’m getting, in both situtations.. a pint being a bit less than a litre.

I respectfully suggest that really you don’t 🤣
    … but you did mean half a litre really didn’t you?

dudeofdoom

When the current generation of gammons who lap up this bollocks and are the target audience for truss, sunak and ree-smug die are there gammons-in-training to replace them?
    Is it like growing orcs – a la Lord of the Rings – where each new one is worse than it’s predecessor?

Are we – the next baddies 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 11,121 through 11,160 (of 13,581 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.