Viewing 40 posts - 10,241 through 10,280 (of 10,410 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Premier Icon binners

If you can face it, there’s a phone in just starting on 5 live titled ‘how is Brexit going for you?’

I’m sure it’ll be the usual gammonfest land I’m going to bet that the vaccination programme is mentioned approximately every 30 seconds

Premier Icon kelvin

What is IM2 in that tweet?

Another “Internal Market” bill (ie additional UK laws to try and prevent NI being treated differently to the rest of the UK, despite signing international treaties, the Good Friday agreement, and the political and economic reality of all Ireland cooperation combined with GB being outside Single Market and Customs Union meaning this will now always be the case).

Premier Icon binners

First caller….

“What about the vaccination rollout?”

He’s just had it pointed out, yet again, that being in or out of the EU would have made absolutely no difference, but the gammons for like to cling to this solitary supposed ‘benefit’ of Brexit

Premier Icon martinhutch

The Tories are flagging badly in the polls, Johnsons majority has collapsed so they need something, I’d like to think their nationalism shtick no longer sticks

Don’t wake him up, he’s having a lovely dream! 🙂

Premier Icon stumpy01

That shopkeeper in Exeter……WTF?! “I voted brexit. I still think it will be good. But, there are massive delays to getting stock & my customers can’t get their products…..” FFS.
    He then said it’s actually covid delays being blamed on Brexit until the woman pointed out that the extra administration & paperwork has nothing to do with covid 🙂

Premier Icon binners

This isn’t really doing much to change my longstanding opinion that everyone who voted for Brexit is a moron

Premier Icon kelvin

cheating foreigners is a core part of the job

Building trust…

Not just with other countries, but with UK voters…

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cummings is quite the game theory fan, isn’t he.

Premier Icon dissonance

Cummings is quite the game theory fan, isn’t he.

Sadly he seems to have missed the winning strategy of tit for tat.

Premier Icon Cougar

Nah, he’s just missing the ‘tat’ part.

Is that really his Twitter account? There’s no account verification tick.

Premier Icon AD

Bloody EU – only offering to cut 80% of border checks…

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-eu-offers-to-cut-80-of-gb-northern-ireland-checks-on-some-goods-to-end-sausage-war-12433021

Frosty will no doubt sort those foreigners out this time with his almost legendary deal making prowess.

Premier Icon binners

Boris needs a fight with the EU to distract from his calamitous handling of everything and energise his base of thick-as-mince racist gobshites, so that’s what we’re getting

Premier Icon dissonance

so that’s what we’re getting

Yup the EU has proved a handy target for politicans not being arsed to do their job and wanting to blame someone else for their failings since we first joined it so be nuts to let the minor detail of now having left get in the way of using it still. Who else would be handy to blame? Since I am excluding the obviously nuts idea of taking responsibility themselves for their own failings.

Premier Icon Cougar

Frosty will no doubt sort those foreigners out this time with his almost legendary deal making prowess.

Where’s David Davies, his time has come.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

In or out of the EU it’s still their fault 🙂

Was always a farce excuse with us being sat at the top table,we were the EU.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Where’s David Davies, his time has come.

Probably waiting for his Lord title 🙂

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Still once the levelling up has completed and all farming and manufacturing has ceased should be happy times ahead.

So stop moaning about the bumpy transition period and look forward to the Utopia 🙂

Premier Icon kimbers

Excellent long read in the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/ff650169-34bc-4ac9-9dc9-dcc429c580ec

Dubbing Johnson Chaos Kong is genius

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Is there a non paywall version available anywhere?

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

looks like nosferatu and co are going to reject the eu offer

Premier Icon kimbers

Is there a non paywall version available anywhere?

If u sign up u get some free articles

Premier Icon kelvin

Oh no, more trouble for the meat industry.

And what about similar problems in the fruit and veg industry? Those of us that have veggie roasts these days still need our veg…

Premier Icon dazh

Those of us that have veggie roasts these days still need our veg…

I’m sure we’ll cope. Just need to take one for the team 😄

Premier Icon tjagain

Of course they are going to reject it. Thew whole point oif the exercise is to find an external enemy. Nothing the EU will do will ever be enough and the ECJ has to have jurisdiction or eles NI can have no special concessions

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Another “Internal Market” bill (ie additional UK laws to try and prevent NI being treated differently to the rest of the UK, despite signing international treaties, the Good Friday agreement, and the political and economic reality of all Ireland cooperation combined with GB being outside Single Market and Customs Union meaning this will now always be the case).

It’ll also be used to ensure that Scotland is kept ‘in line’ and probably include a couple of difficult/expensive divergences from the EU just to add to the Unionist “but you won’t be allowed to join the EU” rhetoric.

Premier Icon dazh

I’m confused about that cartoon thing. So are UK animation companies barred from attending Cartoon events because of some law as a result of brexit, or have Creative Europe Media just decided to exclude UK companies arbitrarily? It feels a bit like punishing the little guy (ie the animators) for stuff they have no control over. If they value the contribution of UK animation companies then why not just invite them anyway?

Premier Icon tjagain

edit =- attempted to post a mildly amusing GIF – didnae work

Premier Icon kelvin

I’m confused about that cartoon thing.

Brexit. What do you find confusing about it?

https://ec.europa.eu/culture/funding-creative-europe/creative-europe-media-strand

have Creative Europe Media just decided to exclude UK companies arbitrarily?

We are no longer a participating country. “We” decided this.

Premier Icon Northwind

dazh

I’m confused about that cartoon thing. So are UK animation companies barred from attending Cartoon events because of some law as a result of brexit, or have Creative Europe Media just decided to exclude UK companies arbitrarily?

Are you kidding? It’s literally a part of the European Commission. You’re just doing the “why are we being excluded from the club that we stormed out of?” thing.

Premier Icon dazh

You’re just doing the “why are we being excluded from the club that we stormed out of?” thing.

No I’m not, I’m simply asking what law exists which prevents UK contributors attendance at these events? If there isn’t one then why exclude them? Does CEM bar non-EU contributors from attending its events by rule, or is it arbitrary? If not arbitrary then how come at the event below is there a company from Chile (and many from the UK) attending? Or are CEM just cutting their nose off to spite their face?

http://www.cartoon-media.eu/cartoon-360/who-is-coming-2021-2.htm

Premier Icon kelvin

They are speakers.

Here are the rules for project submission…

http://cartoon-media.eu/cartoon-movie-event/cartoon-movie-2022/submit-a-project-1/regulations-1.htm

European

– Any European producer whose registered office is located in a country associated with Creative Europe MEDIA can present a new animation project at the Cartoon Forum.

– Countries associated with Creative Europe MEDIA: the 27 EU countries + Iceland, Norway, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Republic of Serbia, Georgia, Moldova, Tunisia & Ukraine.

Attention: since the Brexit, the UK is not part of the eligible countries.

Like so many things… we could have sought ways to be associated with so many of these cooperative initiatives, even as non-members… but “Brexit means Brexit”. Our government wants to cut us off from collaborations and markets… not being a member country is not Brexit enough for them. All ties must be severed. Political ideology before all else.

what law exists

No law exists. But you know that. It’s an irrelevant question. The real question is “why can we not benefit from something our government has elected to not be part of”.

Premier Icon dazh

Our government wants to cut us off from collaborations and markets…

I don’t disagree, but I ask again why punish the little guy? Clearly it’s possible for non-EU countries to be associated with CEM so not being in the EU isn’t the barrier. So if UK animation companies/professionals decide they would like to be associated and attend/contribute to events (even if their govt doesn’t want them to), why not let them? Why make UK animators suffer because their govt are smallminded arseholes?

Premier Icon kelvin

Why are they punishing us?!

Premier Icon dazh

Why are they punishing us!

Stop being ridiculous. The problem here is not that UK contributors want special treatment. The problem is that a political row being exercised by people far removed from the european (as in not just the EU) animation industry is being allowed to negatively impact people in that industry, through no fault of their own, and for no practical reason.

It’s like brexit is a playground fight, and the whole school is then expected to take sides even though they’re completely uninterested. Playground politics escalated to the geo-political scale.

Premier Icon kelvin

allowed to negatively impact people in that industry

Correct. And not just that industry. The penny will drop soon Dazh… the decisions our government make as regards opting out of schemes designed by the EU to bring people together (and not just EU people) directly effects UK citizens. We can’t just say “yeah, our government are isolationist nutcases, but we want to individually opt in”… lovely though that would be.

Premier Icon dazh

We can’t just say “yeah, our government are isolationist nutcases, but we want to individually opt in”

Why not? As far as I’m concerned the UK govt doesn’t represent me and my interests any more than the Russian govt does. I’m resident in the UK as an accident of birth, as is everyone else who lives and was born here, so it’s a bit silly to say I’m can’t go to an animation industry event because of that.

The point I’m making here is that constraining people from doing certain things (especially attending a bloody animation conference!) on the basis of who governs them is stupid, and it’s not unreasonable to question that, irregardless of the politics behind it.

Premier Icon Cougar

Clearly it’s possible for non-EU countries to be associated with CEM so not being in the EU isn’t the barrier.

As far as I can tell, if you’re not in the EU then you have to apply to join (as a country). Which, presumably, we haven’t.

http://www.cartoon-media.eu/files/library/Cartoon-Movie/2022/list-3rd-country-participation_crea_en.pdf

Premier Icon kelvin

As far as I’m concerned the UK govt doesn’t represent me and my interests any more than the Russian govt does.

I “feel” the same way, but unfortunately the reality is that the actions of your government limits your opportunities whether you like it or not. It could be associated with all sorts of EU initiatives that help citizens of countries well beyond the EU… but it chooses not to, because… EU bad. The consequences of UK government anti-EU choices are deep, far and wide, as the next few years will slowly make clear to the “won’t effect most people” and “just deal with it” brigade.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,241 through 10,280 (of 10,410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.