Viewing 25 posts - 9,921 through 9,945 (of 9,945 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Premier Icon dannyh

Tory MPs think know that enough regular folk can’t see through their nonsense?

FTFY.

Now would be a good time to watch Adam Curtis’ Hypernormalization again, especially the Surkov stuff.

Very much so. I’m constantly reminded of the ‘computer therapist’ that just played the subject’s ramblings back to them via questions that led them down a path of reinforcement and validation. Before long the subjects were insisting on time ‘alone’ with the computer. Despite knowing what the computer was doing.

Reinforce prejudice and ignorance. Tell people it is ok. Encourage it. Even better when you can use something like social meedya to target different lies to different groups.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

And “getting away with it” on such a grand scale means that politicians can employ the same tactics in many areas,

Another week, another example of where we’re going.

But hey, the poor & disadvantaged voted to be poorer and more disadvantaged – and that’s what they’re getting.

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

Liz Truss is foreign secretary. The perfect successor to Raab. 😉

Premier Icon kelvin

Do you think any of this lot are up to the task of cleaning up the shit they delivered us?

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

M&S shutting EU stores

Premier Icon binners

With depressing predictability, next stop 1955

Premier Icon Del

That will at least make it a lot easier to identify the hard of thinking in business.

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well, that’s just yet more facepalm to add to the huge mountain of facepalm that has gone before it.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

You already could sell in imperial, you just had to have the metric equivalent labelled equally prominently.

Another announcement that doesn’t change anything then.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

Yeah, but now they won’t have to display the metric units and Johnny Foreigner won’t have a clue when he goes to the butchers. It’ll be a right laugh.

Premier Icon verses

Yeah, but now they won’t have to display the metric units and Johnny Foreigner anyone under 60 won’t have a clue when he goes to the butchers. It’ll be a right laugh.

FTFY

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

You couldn’t make it up….

Premier Icon nickc

So wait, I can buy a pint of milk or get served a quarter-pounder again? Will I still have to travel miles to get them as everyone is out of stock of the raw ingredients.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

It’s just a Dead Cat isnt it?

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Yeah, but now they won’t have to display the metric units and Johnny Foreigner won’t have a clue when he goes to the butchers.

As will no one else who is under 40 years old.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

What’s the betting manufacturers who do switch to imperial weights and volumes use it as a way to sneak in price rises? That 125g item now becomes 1/4lb (113g) but the price stays the same. That 2 litre bottle of milk becomes 4 pints (1.892 litres). You get the picture.

All so we could talk in lbs and ounces and have a blue passport (that we could have anyway)? I hate what this country has become.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

You already could sell in imperial, you just had to have the metric equivalent labelled equally prominently.

And another over reaction from everyone completed missing that point. Rather than taking the high ground about returning to the 50s, we should be pointing out – again – that this was possible pre-Brexit and people were lied to by the current government about it.

Premier Icon binners

Metric came in in 1974, so nobody under 50 will have been taught at school using imperial measurements.

Nice of the Tory’s to officially confirm the only age group that actually matters. I reckon they probably regard 50 year olds as cheeky young scamps

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Mate, I’m mid 50’s and we were never taught it – you’d need to be +70 to really remember.

Premier Icon nickc

It’s just a Dead Cat isnt it?

Yes, I I’ve realised that I’ve been had again. It’s just part of the on-going “Owning of the Libs”

Jeasus what a crappy place we’ve become

Premier Icon kelvin

was possible pre-Brexit and people were lied to by the current government about it

I’ve realised that I’ve been had again. It’s just part of the on-going “Owning of the Libs

Yup. Change our voting system (without any of this pesky referendum nonsense) to try and get more Conservative local politicians into positions of power (and take platforms off opposition politicians making difficult noises for the Brexit government)… tax breaks for the rich, tax increases for the poor… cut state education budgets… more people dying every day at this stage of the pandemic than some countries have lost from Covid19 all year… but look… the good ole days are here again (distracts their supporters just as much as those that oppose them). Cheers! Mine’s a pint… haven’t we all missed pints? Proper milk bottles and beer measurements…. so glad to have them back. I mean, how long is it since we’ve been able to buy 2.272 litres of milk at the supermarket? What, you bought one that size yesterday? You must be mistaken…

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Mate, I’m mid 50’s and we were never taught it – you’d need to be +70 to really remember.

I am 53 and don’t know whether I was taught it but I was using it for a long time during the 70’s, 80’s and even 90’s. I can still happily use feet and inches, lbs and stone etc,. and it just feels a bit like being bilingual in that regard.
    You must have been in a different country than me if you would buying sweets by the gram in 1978 as it was all lbs and ounzes when I was buying them.

We are not going back to pounds, shillings and pence here!

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

We are not going back to pounds, shillings and pence here!

They’re saving that one for when they bring back workhouses.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

the EU should force us to full metric compliance if we ever want to rejoin…. no more pints all road signs in km oh and make us drive on the right.

Viewing 25 posts - 9,921 through 9,945 (of 9,945 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.