Viewing 40 posts - 9,601 through 9,640 (of 9,964 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Premier Icon nickc

Formerly, FORMERLY, known as Eurofighter

Now, I’m as anti Brexit as the next man…Eurofighter is what the Company that makes the aeroplane is called; Typhoon is what the airplane is called…by all the air forces that use it. It’s like the Grim Donut…Grim is manufacturer, Donut is model name…

Premier Icon kelvin

It is… but it was called the Eurofighter before it was called the Typhoon (it changed in the 90s, when European countries wanted to reduce how many they each bought, and other buyers needed to be brought in to make the numbers work if production was going to go ahead).

Premier Icon kelvin

Well, surprise, surprise…

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has today announced that the Customs Declaration Service (CDS), a system founded on world-leading technology, will serve as the UK’s single customs platform from 31 March 2023.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/customs-declaration-service-to-become-uks-single-customs-platform

I was banging on about this not being ready for Brexit years ago, in the old thread. Still… throw “world-leading” in there and it sounds like good news.

Premier Icon thepodge
    Free Member

“founded on world-leading technology” doesn’t mean the finished product will be world-leading, it just means it’s built using Microsoft Excel, a world-leader in spreadsheets

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

I was banging on about this not being ready for Brexit years ago, in the old thread. Still… throw “world-leading” in there and it sounds like good news.

Yeah but its not as if they’ve had any time to prepare to implement for this stuff like, know one knew, they did the best they…….

Not sure delivering something you needed like 6 months + ago 2-3 years late is actually world leading in anything other than incompetence.

Premier Icon dannyh

“founded on world-leading technology” doesn’t mean the finished product will be world-leading, it just means it’s built using Microsoft Excel, a world-leader in spreadsheets

“founded on world-leading technology” means spunking billions to ‘world-leading consultants’ who just happen to be mates of ministers. Who then just use Excel. Or, more likely, bung a small % of their fee to some spreadsheet gimp they keep under the stairs in their West End office building – then they use Excel.

FTFY.

Premier Icon dannyh

Not sure delivering something you needed like 6 months + ago 2-3 years late is actually world leading in anything other than incompetence.

You forgot about moving public money into private hands by employing ‘consultants’ to ‘solve’ problems of the government’s own making. Consultants who just happen to mates with Tory ministers.

That is grift, and that is something else we are world class at.

See also facilitation of money laundering.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

See also facilitation of money laundering.

Perhaps part of the levelling up would be to allow easier access to money laundering 🙂

Sort of share the love rather than keeping it all for themselves.

Premier Icon molgrips

We didn’t have many stock shortages in Cardiff but we’re in holiday in West and now North Wales and there are loads of stripped shelves. Shelves are bare of meat by late afternoon and we bought literally the last bag of any kind of crisps or savoury snacks in Dolgellau Co-op.

Premier Icon dannyh

Sort of share the love rather than keeping it all for themselves.

Nah, like tax avoidance advice, there is an amount you must hold already in order to get access.

Anyway, the ‘New Tory’ support (white van, Brexity, cash in hand, oi oi, etc.) sort of get involved with the cash in hand thing already.

Government of the nobheads, by the nobheads, for the nobheads.

🇬🇧🍆💦🇬🇧

Premier Icon smokey_jo

Shelves are bare of meat by late afternoon and we bought literally the last bag of any kind of crisps or savoury snacks in Dolgellau Co-op.

You monster

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

We’re not ‘leading’ in any endeavour if others aren’t following us.

Premier Icon GEDA
    Free Member

Spiders web. The second British empire

So after watching this and thinking of basic economics that capitalism is good because it drives efficiency and drives down costs through competition and increased productivity. Which in turn in based on training workers and investment. But as far as I can see most companies are increasing profits by evading taxes and regulations. So this leads to the conclusion that there are no real improvements to be had from the form of capitalism that we have when the main driver is tax and regulation avoidance.

Premier Icon dannyh

So this leads to the conclusion that there are no real improvements to be had from the form of capitalism that we have when the main driver is tax and regulation avoidance.

And the best way to avoid tax and regulation is to have friends in high places. This is how states ‘fail’.

Premier Icon binners

So this leads to the conclusion that there are no real improvements to be had from the form of capitalism that we have when the main driver is tax and regulation avoidance.

This was the always the real driving force behind Brexit. Tearing up regulations to reduce the costs to certain types of business and establishing a tax regime to undercut our neighbours and essentially establish the UK as a tax haven off the shores of mainland Europe. This is why they are so absolutely adamant they will not accept any form of regulatory alignment with the EU, and they’re even prepared to sacrifice Northern Ireland for that, if that’s what it takes

It’s also why they’re so keen on the idea of Freeports. The model they’ll have in mind would be what the Chinese used to euphemistically refer to as ‘Export Processing Zones’.

This would mean not only the suspension of certain taxation regimes but also of things like labour laws and various other regulations too. Given that the people driving this are the mob who wrote Brittania Unchained, they’ll be licking their lips at the prospect of that.

Thats why they’re busy trying to sell the Freeport idea as a boost for employment, the local economy etc, whereas the real beneficiaries, as always, will be tax dodgers and money launderers. In other words… their mates

Premier Icon asbrooks

This is why they are so absolutely adamant they will not accept any form of regulatory alignment with the EU

When your largest trading partner is the EU, moving away from the euronorms won’t work. Even the rest of the world is adopting them (I can only speak for the rail industry).
    The rest of the world will not make up for the loss in business if the company I work for moved away from the EU regulations.

Premier Icon binners

When your largest trading partner is the EU, moving away from the euronorms won’t work.

We all know this. We all knew it 5 years ago, we certainly know it now. But, you know… ‘Project Fear’ and all that.

Unfortunately, these clowns are driven entirely by their cult-like anti-EU ideology and don’t like pesky little things like evidence to the contrary getting in the way of their ridiculous neo-colonial fantasy

This country has got some extremely hard lessons in reality coming its way in the next few years, and Liz Truss’s paper-thin trade deals with Outer Mongolia or Papua New Guinea aren’t going to do much to take the edge off them

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

This country has got some extremely hard lessons in reality coming its way in the next few years

mmmm a few years.

Ohh I don’t know how much have the Welsh been given to replace that lovely EU funding.

I think realitys knocking on the door but ya know ‘believing’ in stuff is whats its about.

(Not picking on the Welsh, I used to spend time in Crickhowell and remember a lot of eu flags)

Premier Icon crazy-legs

I think realitys knocking on the door but ya know ‘believing’ in stuff is whats its about.

I think the knocks from Reality are about to get a lot louder. Shortly before it kicks the door in.

https://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2021/07/27/uk-supply-chain-faces-collapse-in-two-to-three-weeks-rha-warns-government/

Premier Icon BillOddie

The “this isn’t the brexit i voted for” lot are frothing about the indignation of being asked to pay for access to a club they voted to leave…

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/uk-travel-europe-charge-next-year-2022-post-brexit-new-eu-rules-1133467

Apparently the EU is being “spiteful” despite our plans to do EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Salarys rising exponentially in certain industries haulage, hospitality,construction and more means inflation so if you cant get a big salary lift well times are hard.

The salary lift will drive up house prices and so on.

Economic step change is rarely good.

Premier Icon kelvin

We have a Gov of the BofE claiming that inflation will be done with this year, and back down to 2% next year. Anyone want to tell him about all the additional barriers to trade we’re erecting and expecting importers to pay for over the next 6 months? The focus on a lack of staff and its effects is understandable right now… but it’s far from the only inflationary pressure coming down the tracks thanks to the B word.

Premier Icon Dickyboy

Salarys rising exponentially in certain industries haulage, hospitality,construction

Is it coming home to you now exactly why some people in these industries voted for brexit?

Premier Icon captmorgan
    Free Member

Tory MP Steve Baker who called himself ‘hard man of Brexit’ is now calling Brexit a ‘fiasco’

Classic schadenfreude…

https://www.indy100.com/politics/tory-mp-steve-baker-brexit-fiasco-b1897266?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1628234435-1

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

@BillOddie

‘Yes BuT why OuR THEy doin it NOw an noT be4???? ItS jUsT SpIte an sHowZ We Waz RIGHT To LEAVE!’

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Inflation Dickyboy… inflation there in lies the problem.

It levels the few and punishes the majority (mainly those on benefits and public sector workers)

Just depends where you sit? the few or the majority?

Its not as simple as voting to put up the pay of the few. You do understand where this is going i assume? Its called a recession/crash/bubble.

Premier Icon dannyh

Is it coming home to you now exactly why some people in these industries voted for brexit?

I always realised that. I also realise the short-termist stupidity of it. If you create an economy where easily transferable* jobs command a high salary purely due to lack of manpower then you are hobbling yourself internationally. Inflationary pressure will result from such unrealistic structuring. Especially when imported goods skyrocket in price (if you can even get them).

*Gross simplification, but jobs where ‘we’ have ‘got rid of the forriners’ are, by definition, on average, jobs that can be done by pretty much anyone. That is why it happened in the first place.

Sure, a few lorry drivers are loving it right now, but their kind of job will be the first to be squeezed then scrapped when the crash comes and people stop buying shit loads of stuff they don’t really need. If I was in one of those jobs I’d be saving like crazy and waiting to buy up some repo houses after the crash.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

So the army logistic corps put on 5 day alert amd a call out to any servicemen with hgv license, Brexit the gift that keeps on giving. Not sure it will help though still 98,000 or so drivers short.

Premier Icon kelvin

Shame they stopped training servicemen to get their HGV licences, isn’t it. More short sighted government cost savings.

Premier Icon igm

Aren’t they already testing automated / self-driving trucks somewhere?

I wonder if this will accelerate or decelerate the push for that technology?

I seem to remember significant investment in coal mining shortly (say 10 years) before we started closing pits.

Great time to price yourself out of a market as new technology comes along.

Still they’ll make money for a couple of years.

Premier Icon dannyh

Still they’ll make money for a couple of years.

To be squirreled away by the few.

<Sighs at the inevitability of it all and snorts in derision at any normal person who thought this was a good idea>

Premier Icon BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Aren’t they already testing automated / self-driving trucks somewhere?

With the longer hours truck drivers are allowed required to work, I think you might find that there are already a number of “self-driving trucks” on the roads. And verges. And central reservations.

Premier Icon convert

So roaming charges are back for the great British holiday maker (when they start to toddle back to Magaluf in large numbers next year)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58146039

But on the up side…..blue passports.

Those pesky EU regulations and ‘red tape’, so glad to be shot of them.

But anyway, it’s put a halt to all those brown scroungers taking the easy route to fortunes of our money and punting themselves across the channel in rubber boats.

Makes you feel proud to be British all over again.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

I seem to remember significant investment in coal mining shortly (say 10 years) before we started closing pits.

read the history of British Rail and the huge sums spent on steam trains, to only see them scrapped with in a few years. Whilst other countries had already started to modernise their railways….

General rule British Management is crap, and has no ability to plan beyond todays crisis.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

So the army logistic corps put on 5 day alert amd a call out to any servicemen with hgv license, Brexit the gift that keeps on giving. Not sure it will help though still 98,000 or so drivers short.

I would surprised if one driver gets used. How much was spent on the publicity stunt that was the Nightingale Hospitals.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Yet new passes like me are really struggling to find anywhere that will take on new drivers! I’ve had to go back to working for an agency just to get any driving time and even that’s not always guaranteed. Currently on a placement in Bristol and as the regular staff don’t like doing the deliveries in the one small van I’m lumped driving it despite being paid full HGV rate. The previous place wouldn’t let me drive a truck even after being there for a fortnight, I left for various reasons* but not being allowed to drive when employed as a driver was a big issue.

I fear lots of the transport companies are hedging their bets on the EU drivers being allowed back soon rather than having to improve pay and conditions for UK drivers.

* even being paid £19.75/hr couldn’t make up for all the crap management, poor working routines and long days with lots of physical work!

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

So roaming charges are back for the great British holiday maker

Its for new contracts or changed contracts but didn’t take them long to roll back from that whole we won’t be charging for roaming 🙂

Welcome to Brexitland where all promises are hollow.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

I would surprised if one driver gets used. How much was spent on the publicity stunt that was the Nightingale

Brexit points thou putting the army on standby…….fire up the patriotic music.

Da da da da (dam busters theme)

Premier Icon kimbers

Yet new passes like me are really struggling to find anywhere that will take on new drivers! I’ve had to go back to working for an agency just to get any driving time and even that’s not always guaranteed.

really?

my brother works for inbev (they make Stella, Corona, Camden, Bud, Becks, london Prode etc etc) and they are having a nightmare getting beers delivered and desperate for drivers, he reckons if the Euros was this month the PUBS/SUPERMARKETS WOULDVE RUN OUT OF BEER! can you imagine the meltdown

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Yes, really. I’ve applied to plenty of places, even had a few interviews but have either had radio silence or refusals. When pressed it’s always come down to being a new pass despite their job adverts saying that new passes are welcome. It’s not just me, lots of others saying the same thing. All of the talk of companies offering Welcome Bonus payments and higher wages is just being offered to experienced drivers with Class 1 (artics) to change companies, new passes are left the crappy jobs if they’ll take you. Class 2 drivers like me (rigid bodies) are not really getting anything unless you have lots of experience. No-one will take into account I’ve been driving C1 vehicles (up to 7.5t) for over 8 years so know how to work tachographs and have history of following the rules, it’s just straight to New Pass = No. I’ve even had a facebook exchange with one company who continuously advertise they’re after drivers. I messaged them and they replied asking for details, phoned me but then went silent. A few days later they re-ran the advert saying ‘New passes welcome’ so I left a comment underneath about how I was ready and waiting for the call to start ASAP, which a few others commented the same experience too, but the company just invited me to apply again then later that evening the advert was removed. I did apply again, got a phone call but when I asked why I had to do it again they admitted they were after experienced drivers only. Complete waste of time for all of us. So when I see headlines about the army being on standby it only means this:

Brexit points thou putting the army on standby…….fire up the patriotic music.

Da da da da (dam busters theme)

The transport companies don’t want to have to raise wages or improve conditions so I’ll repeat what I said earlier:

I fear lots of the transport companies are hedging their bets on the EU drivers being allowed back soon rather than having to improve pay and conditions for UK drivers.

Hopefully it won’t take full-on empty shelves and protests for either Johnson or the companies to change position but I fear that’s the way it might be heading.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,601 through 9,640 (of 9,964 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.