Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 8,893 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Premier Icon dannyh

No English version until October though.

You forgot to add on any lead time for importing them too.

I expect to witness a pile of them being burned at some point during 2022 – possibly with a Polish delicatessen with smashed windows in the background.

Premier Icon kelvin

The UK’s early problem, writes Michel Barnier in The Great Illusion, his 500-page account, was that they began by “talking to themselves. And they underestimate the legal complexity of this divorce, and many of its consequences.”

Lovely use of understatement.

Soon, however, the talking turned to Conservative party infighting, and by the end it had become “political piracy … They will go to any length. The current team in Downing St is not up to the challenges of Brexit nor to the responsibility that is theirs for having wanted Brexit. Simply, I no longer trust them.”

Nor do we mate. Well, oddly, millions do… desite… well… everything.

Premier Icon Del

Glad the bike showed up Ed.

Ups for us have reached new heights. A parcel shipped to Germany 3 months ago has turned up and we were asked for customs clearance information. Well, that was all provided when we first shipped it in February as you might imagine, but now some bright spark in ups has decided the package needs a new label (I wonder if this is related to the fact you cannot track a parcel beyond 3 months on their system?) we have to provide the information again as it is effectively a new shipment.🙄

Premier Icon Cougar

This could be a fun little read.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/barnier-tory-quarrels-and-betrayals-determined-britains-post-brexit-fate-267930/

Barnier’s got a book out. Well, he will have imminently, and in French, English version later this year.

Premier Icon eskay

@cougar – see 4 posts above yours!

Premier Icon dannyh

I might well buy Barnier’s book. It will be like watching The Office as David Brent tries to lie, wriggle, scam and bullshit his way through life. The only problem being that Johnson is doing the David Brent thing with a whole country rather than a paper merchant sub office.🤦‍♂️

Premier Icon Poopscoop

UK sends Royal Navy to patrol Jersey port amid fishing row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57003069

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

We’ve had the cod war, now the knitwear war.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

Why aren’t they protecting Cardigan?

Premier Icon Cougar

cougar – see 4 posts above yours!

Yeah, sorry. It’s a 200+ page thread, I’m playing catchup.

Premier Icon nickingsley

now some bright spark in ups has decided the package needs a new label

Yep, 2 x times this year with ups when sending stuff back to Sweden (Revolution Race – great kit 😊).

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Start playing the land of hope and glory…and fire up the spitfires.

Not sure escalating anything with France will end well for us, it’s not like they haven’t already started blockading stuff 🙂

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

I might well buy Barnier’s book. It will be like watching The Office as David Brent tries to lie, wriggle, scam and bullshit his way through life

I’d wait for the Netflix series,the comedy based on real events 🙂

Premier Icon kelvin

Not sure escalating anything with France will end well for us

It will help those currently in the UK government to stay in power. That’s all that matters. As someone wiser than me said in this thread, Brexit isn’t an event, it’s an ongoing project to rule and transform the UK in the interests of a very narrow group of people. I called that the “gunboat” headlines would be a regular feature of election cycles once we had left the EU back in 2016. No one should be surprised. And I recall posting on here about a chat I had with a retired Saint Helier civil servant who sad that Brexit would completely drop them in it, because they were beneficiaries of us and France being EU members, but had no say in that ending or in what follows.

Premier Icon thepodge
    Free Member

Could the channel Islands rejoin the EU in some way? They’d want to keep their UK tax haven side but I imagine they’d be in a good position to negotiate a deal.

Premier Icon kelvin

They were never in the EU, but did benefit from UK & France being in it together. It doesn’t hugely matter whether they are in or nor not, what matters for them is that the UK is not in it. Them joining would solve very little for them, they’d still suffer from the UK being out.

Premier Icon binners

It will help those currently in the UK government to stay in power. That’s all that matters.

I’m sure that a lot of Boris’s mates will also be reassured that he’s prepared to send some gunboats out to defend the tax haven where they all stash their cash.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Todays newspaper headlines should rally the Tory vote…..

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

So were the French deliberately provoked to provide a perfect jingoistic tub-thumping session for the Brexies, or just normal greed/incompetence. I guess the latter.

Premier Icon kelvin

The UK & EU deciding retrospectively Xmas eve 2020 that a full year of precise records for the year just gone would be required for the new UK issued licences is the issue. Plenty of greed and incompetence allegations to throw about. French fisherfolk has as much say in that half cocked deal as Scottish and English fisherfolk… that is.. zero.

Premier Icon binners

Its baffling that there are any issues with this fishing bill, given the painstaking attention to detail that went into its negotiation from the Brexiteers

Fisheries minister did not read Brexit bill as she was busy at nativity

Premier Icon cheers_drive

Well the TT computer mounts we sent over for a Giro team look like they are finally out for delivery after being sent on a 2-day service last Monday. All requested documentation was supplied and supplied again x3. I’m not sure whether the issue is with the courier or Italy interpretation of the rules but needless to say this would not have happened pre-Brexit.
    All our shipping costs have gone up. An express service to the EU nake 2-3 days and costs more than a next day service to the US. And our EU customers then get the kick in the face of paying an exorbitant courier handling charge.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Its baffling that there are any issues with this fishing bill, given the painstaking attention to detail that went into its negotiation from the Brexiteers

Nativity trail? Matthew 4:18-22 seems appropriate at this point – the fishing industry can just cast down its nets and become fishers of men. Or work in cyber, or something.

Premier Icon binners

Apparently, according to a member of the Jersey government just interviewed on Five Live, any disputes just used to be settled over a glass of wine.

Now they have to talk to Westminster, who talk to the EU in Brussels, who then talk to the government in Paris who then talk to the French Fisherman.

Still…. at least Brexit got rid of all that needless red tape, eh?

The French Navy are there now. This is all going well then?

Premier Icon colp

The French Navy are there now. This is all going well then?

It’s going very well if you are a Tory looking for votes in the local elections

Premier Icon binners

Indeed. In a statement as depressing as it was predictable, a UK government spokesman has just said “at least the Nazi’s kept the lights on” with reference to the French government.

Yes, because Macron is just like Hitler.

Maybe, when referring to the Nazis, the Brexiteers might be better off watching this

Premier Icon kelvin

Indeed. In a statement as depressing as it was predictable, a UK government spokesman has just said “at least the Nazi’s kept the lights on” with reference to the French government.

That’s a joke, yes?

Premier Icon binners

I’m afraid not, no. You can’t be remotely surprised? Mark Francois and his ilk are going to be thwapping themselves stupid over all this. The Torygraph is very excited

‘At least the Nazis kept the lights on’: UK hits out at French threats to Jersey

And then theres this…

There are no words….

Premier Icon kelvin

Oh, I see, the Telegraph put it out there… so pretty much a joke.

Premier Icon dannyh

This is just episode one of what Johnson actually means when he signs ‘a deal’. The other party think he’s signing in both the spirit and letter of the agreement. In fact he has his fingers crossed behind his back and is thinking up ways to wriggle out of stuff on trumped up technicalities.

All wizard pranks and laughs, but what it means in the longer term is that other countries will be wary of signing ‘deals’ too. And will thus either extract more concessions or make the deal so watertight that it can’t be wriggled out of, or just not bother.

All this damages the credibility of this country and makes life more difficult in the future. Still, blue passports and the gammons got to wave plaggy union jacks (made in China) around for a bit.

How have we stopped so low?

🤦‍♂️

Premier Icon kelvin

I think this one might be the other way around… we’ve got the EU to agree to new mind numbingly boring red tape for those that want to fish in crown waters around the Channel Islands… and the French are hoping that we’ll apply the policies liberally rather than fastidiously, and we have done so for a few months, but now want all the boxes ticking, knowing that the French small boats don’t really have the records to do so. This also dovetails in nicely with the fact that those small boats are after shellfish that Cornish and Scottish fisherfolk can no longer sell to the EU, so the suspicion on “our side” is that they are trying to catch more from waters off Jersey than they have historically to help meet demand.

Premier Icon dannyh

I thought it was because the permit/licence paperwork ran to several pages with practically impossible hoops to jump through when ‘we’ had specifically told the French it wouldn’t….?

This really is how it is going to be – when it is to ‘our’ advantage the paperwork will be 20 pages long, but ‘we’ will moan when the reciprocal paperwork is also 20 pages long because… El Alamein or something…

Premier Icon dannyh

n a statement as depressing as it was predictable, a UK government spokesman has just said “at least the Nazi’s kept the lights on” with reference to the French government.

The correct reply is:

When it comes to Jersey the Nazis actually managed to build a hospital there. Johnson has promised 40 and how many has the fat lying bastard actually managed?

Premier Icon kelvin

This really is how it is going to be – when it is to ‘our’ advantage the paperwork will be 20 pages long, but ‘we’ will moan when the reciprocal paperwork is also 20 pages long because… El Alamein or something…

Of course, it should be none of “our” business… but part of “taking back control” included taking control from the crown dependencies as regards “their” water. It’s all a Westminster power grab and a costly painful bureaucracy multiplying exercise.

Premier Icon kelvin

How’s this refocusing of exports to other countries going post Brexit? Pretty well, it seems…

Premier Icon bigjim

Start playing the land of hope and glory

oh there are people genuinely saying this should be played at foreign fishing vessels from our gunboats on facebook.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Looks like you’ve got to be a bit careful in the details of your trade deals when it comes to Freeports 🙂

Who woulda thunk it.
    (Cut and paste baaad)

FT Freeport’s(paywalled)

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Freeports, loved by criminals, corrupt politicians and gullible voters the world over.

Premier Icon molgrips

@dudeofdoom if you’ve read it can you post a few lines of summary please?

How are we all doing for stock shortages btw? In B&Q there were some gaps on the shelves yesterday. Almost no hose sprayers available at all, and a few other sections completely bare. Not a big problem but strange to see.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

A little precis:

officials disclosed on Sunday that the trade agreements with 23 different countries included clauses that prohibit manufacturers in freeports from benefiting from the deals.

Labours saying the clauses could have been removed from the deals.

Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 8,893 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.