Viewing 40 posts - 8,681 through 8,720 (of 13,581 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Someone up there had it spot on, he is a massive bullshitter.

And a country member.

ChrisL

I saw a good docco yesterday where it was highlighted that ‘power sharing’ in NI is often really ‘power splitting’ so entire portfolios are given to one ‘side’ or the other. I don’t think this was defined 100% in the GFA either, but it has become the adopted MO. There will have been a fair amount of this given the GFA’s intent as a broad base for peaceful coexistence rather than a full nuts and bolts plan.

I recall reading an article back during the days of the 2010-2015 Conservative/LibDem coalition that stated this is a common way of handling coalitions. It allows the parties in the coalition to point to the achievements in the portfolios they managed and say “that was us” when campaigning. The article was arguing that because the two parties in the Westminster coalition did not do this, the LibDems were struggling to highlight their achievements and policies, while still getting blamed for their failures.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Back to NI…

“Need another month sir, Prince Philip’s dog ate my homework…”

dannyh
    Free Member

I recall reading an article back during the days of the 2010-2015 Conservative/LibDem coalition that stated this is a common way of handling coalitions. It allows the parties in the coalition to point to the achievements in the portfolios they managed and say “that was us” when campaigning. The article was arguing that because the two parties in the Westminster coalition did not do this, the LibDems were struggling to highlight their achievements and policies, while still getting blamed for their failures.

Indeed, but the splitting off of complete portfolios means there will be divergence and conflict if the power sharing parties choose to, er, diverge and conflict…

Also, should some act of previously unthinkable nobheadishness occur (I.e. Brexit) some of those portfolios will assume greater or lesser emotive and political power. What Brexit is doing, on all levels, is disrupting the arrived at MO for keeping tensions in NI to a minimum.

dannyh
    Free Member

Back to NI…

“Need another month sir, Prince Philip’s dog ate my homework…”

Doesn’t make much difference does it?

The problem doesn’t go away just because the fat, shambling oaf kicks the problem into the long grass. Unless this is just a ploy to try to get past marching season.

All that results is the same problem a bit later and all the other parties considerably more pissed off.

Well done Leavers!

🇬🇧🍑💩🤦‍♂️

🇪🇺💰🥂😂

p7eaven
    Free Member

🇬🇧🍑💩🤦‍♂️

🇪🇺💰🥂😂

Surely the EU/ Europeans in general doesn’t/don’t laugh, celebrate or do well out of Brexit? Those emojis just remind me of more of the same ‘them vs us’ (‘champagne elite’ vs ‘hard done-by/screwed-over Brits) divisive rhetoric that helped fuel the leave campaign ☹️ ?

dannyh
    Free Member

Those emojis just look more of the same them vs us divisive rhetoric that helped fuel the leave campaign

I only do it in the hope of winding up any of the Brexiteers on here.

They are apt, though, when you take the UK companies that are setting up EU subsidiaries – extra red tape and bullshit caused by UK leads to jobs created in the EU which leads to (potentially) stalled job creation in the UK. If I was looking at taking on extra UK staff, but suddenly had to employ some EU workers and rent premises etc, I would probably think about canning my ‘aspirational’ UK people investment…

I’ll try a bit of a different tack. How’s this:

🇬🇧🍑💩🤦‍♂️

🇪🇺👉🇬🇧🙄

??

p7eaven
    Free Member

I only do it in the hope of winding up any of the Brexiteers on here.

Except they could just as easily have served as Leave propaganda. Heads up – I showed them Mrs P (without accompanying context of your post) and she thought the (emojigram?) was in support of Leave!!!

dazh
    Del

Pretty much the same thing as everyone else?

Edit: while telling everyone they were saying something different.

piemonster

Virtually everything about Brexit is destabilising for Northern Ireland.

From that link.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Someone got themselves a bit of a semi when they read the headline. 😂

dazh

From that link.

And if you read my comments you’ll see that I also said it was destabilising.

piemonster

Maybe including those comments in the post will help provide that context

Theres certainly nothing in that article that differs significantly from the consensus I’m perceiving from others in this thread.

asbrooks

UK companies that are setting up EU subsidiaries

On the news this morning or was it yesterday evening. They were interviewing the owner of a company who the government are touting as a success because they sell lots of food stuffs to brits in the EU. In reality he was saying that he’d laid off 40 staff and was setting up a warehouse in the EU.

dannyh
    Free Member

touting as a success

His business might be a success, it is just that Brexshit has meant the jobs themselves have left the UK and, effectively, gone to the EU.

The strokers we currently have as a ‘government’ won’t have even realised this is actually a bad story for Brexshit.

The ones who are in it for a quick buck for their mates know, but don’t give a shit.

Clueless tossers like Redwood are just….clueless tossers.

kimbers

Daz’s article is a pretty grim summary of brexits effects on NI

Brexit is the opposite of reconciliation: it means standing apart rather than coming together, asserting distinctiveness over finding common ground. For those who still question the damage that the UK leaving the EU has done to the architecture of the Northern Ireland settlement, which was predicated on a healthy British-Irish relationship, look at the difficulty the two governments now have in simply agreeing to convene a formal meeting to discuss what is happening in Northern Ireland. For more than four decades, the margins of European council meetings offered a place for UK and Irish ministers to engage without formality and pressure. Not any more.

stevextc
    Free Member

What Brexit is doing, on all levels, is disrupting the arrived at MO for keeping tensions in NI to a minimum.

NI is just the worst casualty… the MO for “Brexit” has little or nothing to do with leaving the EU and everything to do with creating tensions across the UK.

I can’t think of many (even any) things the current Brexit cabinet have done that haven’t been to divide the UK.

“Well, yes, but it’s not about the football.”
    “You’re saying that football is not about football?”
    “It’s the sharing,” she said. “It’s being part of the crowd. It’s chanting together. It’s all of it. the whole thing.”

― Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals

“Well, yes, its not about the EU
    You’re saying Brexit isn’t about the EU ?
    Its the division, about the hate we can exploit. Its about saying we don’t follow any laws and we do whatever we want both as a country and as individuals”

SteveXtC (bemused musings)

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾

kelvin

What I was saying the other day…

What we were all saying the other day… while you set yourself up a lovely straw man to slag off to entertain yourself.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I suspect there must be an election in the making. The delays in import checks, possibly aligning the food standard thingy.

Election by December/January? Maybe with a new leader? March 2022?

Edukator
    Free Member

After 12 days in customs Madame’s new Brompton has been let out and so far made it to Carbon Blanc. I assume my translations of what paperwork was missing helped Brompton to sort it from the UK end. The wait time has been enough to completely rebuild an old one which will get passed on to junior when the new one arrives.

stevextc
    Free Member

I suspect there must be an election in the making. The delays in import checks, possibly aligning the food standard thingy.

Perhaps but so long as the effects are blamed on someone else and the current government can divide people enough I can’t see it helping.

The blame doesn’t need to be credible .. blame the Irish, blame the French.. blame furriners who want us to follow rules… it’s pretty much the same narrative as pre-referendum.

Those that bought into Brexit are not looking for actual answers but someone to blame, preferably furriners.

kimbers

Johnson will try & bluff it out, its what he always does & itll work

He will concede to the EU & align on sanitary checks for NI & still claim it as a victory

his supporters will buy it

dudeofdoom

After 12 days in customs

That’s just the Evil French customs just attempting to thwart the glory of Brexit 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

dudeofdoom

That’s just the Evil French customs just attempting to thwart the glory of Brexit

Sadly that is the message enough people will buy.

Johnson will try & bluff it out, its what he always does & itll work

He will concede to the EU & align on sanitary checks for NI & still claim it as a victory

his supporters will buy it

It doesn’t really matter how he does it so long as he blames someone else and blames it on furriners trying to make us follow rules. The rules don’t even need to exist (IOM kippers anyone), he’ll just lie and enough people will buy it.

Edukator
    Free Member

That’s just the Evil French customs just attempting to thwart the glory of Brexit

Or the evil of a notoriously useless delivery company. They are currently looking for my parcel, and you only look for something you’ve lost. Meanwhile on the French equivalent of Gumtree a Brompton identical to the one I’ve ordered has just appeared without a price, and the seller hasn’t got a clue about the bike because the description (in poor French) doesn’t match the photo. I’ve informed Brompton, it’s not their fault, or mine 🙁

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1963665094.htm?ac=1481102916

Just as well I’ve done up the old one, I can’t see the new one arriving anytime soon, but I could have it wrong.

binners

Listening to Brexiteer bell-end Bernard Jenkin on QT, the problems in NI are nothing to do with Brexit and we should all just move on

Apparently the border down the Irish Sea is the EU’s fault for not allowing the UK to implement the border between north and south that David Davis suggested.

The fact that that was a fantasy that only existed in that dimwits head and relied on technology that doesn’t actually exist, nor will it, is neither here nor there.

No blame can be laid at the door of the man who negotiated and signed THE UK up to the NIP while simultaneously assuring everyone that there would be no border in the Irish Sea, obviously

It’s all that nasty EU’s fault

Nice to see Brexit cloud-cuckoo-land hasn’t evolved at all since reality intruded

They’re just doubling down on the same tired old bullshit that becomes less and less credible by the day

dyna-ti

This has turned into an ‘Everything that goes wrong is the fault of brexit’ along with, or usually followed by ‘We told you so’ type of thread.

Vent here….

binners

In the case of Northern Ireland and the threat to the GFA, it is the fault of Brexit and, yes, we told you so

BenjiM

I found out the other other day that all our Export Health Certificates signed off by our vet are being paid for by the government. No wonder exports “rose” in February. The scheme has been extended 3 months as well.

piemonster

This has turned into an ‘Everything that goes wrong is the fault of brexit’ along with, or usually followed by ‘We told you so’ type of thread.

Vent here….

Counter arguments are welcome, as are the challenges to those counter arguments.

whitestone
    Free Member

Vent here….

Well my knee’s giving me gip, that’s got to be the fault of bre …, actually no it was me slipping on mud and twisting it.

Given the resources available to the pro-brexit camp don’t you think it’s strange that there’s so few “Look at this! We couldn’t have done that when in the EU” type stories? Instead all the energy is spent in deflecting attention and passing the buck – “Anyone’s fault (especially the EU) but brexit.”

In the case of NI an, at times, uneasy truce is under threat primarily because of the brexit cheerleaders not understanding (being kind) or not caring about the implications of what they sought.

intheborders
    Free Member

Listening to Brexiteer bell-end Bernard Jenkin on QT, the problems in NI are nothing to do with Brexit and we should all just move on

Was he pulled up by anyone?

intheborders
    Free Member

I found out the other other day that all our Export Health Certificates signed off by our vet are being paid for by the government. No wonder exports “rose” in February. The scheme has been extended 3 months as well.

No, paid for by me and YOU!

Out of curiosity, what’s the cost of the certificates/vet vs the value of the exports?

And if your company had to pay, would the exports still be viable?

dannyh
    Free Member

Vent here….

In the case of Northern Ireland and the threat to the GFA, it is the fault of Brexit and, yes, we told you so

Couldn’t have put it better.

fadda

Given the resources available to the pro-brexit camp don’t you think it’s strange that there’s so few “Look at this! We couldn’t have done that when in the EU” type stories? Instead all the energy is spent in deflecting attention and passing the buck – “Anyone’s fault (especially the EU) but brexit.”

This is worth repeating. Lots.

There is STILL not one tangible, quantifiable benefit that’s been realised…

spekkie
    Free Member

More and more I think of this clip from Red Dwarf when I hear people talking about solving the problems of Brexit.

Replace “The Cat” with “The Boris” or any other deluded politician and replace “Kryten” with pretty much any normal person…..

The Cat : Why don’t we drop the defensive shields?

Kryten : A superlative suggestion, sir. With just two minor flaws. One, we don’t have any defensive shields. And two, we don’t have any defensive shields. Now I realise that technically speaking that’s only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice.

The Cat : Good point, well made.

dudeofdoom

There is STILL not one tangible, quantifiable benefit that’s been realised…

Er tampons.

Unless we’ve missed it.

The reality is that ‘we’ perceive Brexit as a problem but to Boris and chums it really isn’t.

In or out, it’s always the eu’s fault.

I thought it was a Pandora’s box but it’s not,it’s Schrödinger’s box and they’re putting you in it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 8,681 through 8,720 (of 13,581 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.