Viewing 40 posts - 8,481 through 8,520 (of 13,581 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • stumpyjon

Anyone pushing for Brexit was either totally willing to sacrifice Northern Ireland, or didn’t even care enough about Northern Ireland to gain the understanding of what Brexit would do there.

Or most likely Northern Ireland didn’t even enter their heads, cause it’s a bit foreign and the people there speak funny and it’s not in the home counties or oop north.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve got a full drivetrain waiting to go on my bike as I stocked up in early December pre-Brexshit – for precisely the reasons of price and availability which were bound to result from the combination of covid insanity and Brexshit bit of a mess.

Cougar

I think in relation to Northern Ireland the Government simply don’t care.

FTFY.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Can’t we at least all agree that a Brexit has been a very good thing for a Nigel?

That has to be worth something?*

According to every 3rd youtube ad I seem to get his smug mug telling us that he’s at time of writing bagged 80,000 subscribers to his F*rtune and Freed*m precious metal-buying newsletter daily email. A snip at £199pa. Or 54 and a half pence per day in old money.

All publicity is good publicity (as in there is no bad publicity that is not also good publicity) for such a cheeky monkey. Have one on me, you naughty scamp, what a right proper legend etc:

https://www.ft.com/content/450bd1f6-47fa-4a5b-ab8e-0ecdff7ab60b

*£16mil

For an email.

Sixteen million.

That’s SIXTEEN MILLION.

Nigel’s lovely big smile just proves to the world that whatever else you’re doing – you’re obviously doing it wrong. Be like Nigel. Make something good happen from something you may not like. Nigel allegedly didn’t like a Few Things. From that alleged dislike of those Few Things, Nigel simply made something good happen for Nigel.

So even if you didn’t like Brexit, why not be like Nigel and instead make your dislike work for you? All that is required is passion, billboards, and a few friends in the right places. and a keen non-swivelling eye on your goal.

dudeofdoom

It’s interesting how he’s made been thrown money, hating the EU but being well paid by them for years, he was probably gutted when he got his Brexit, then he did the pay £100 to be an MP raffle,then I think he was trying to get Tommy’s job and cash in on that market now he’s pimping investment advice.

Funny what getting on the telly and being shouty can achieve for you 🙂

dudeofdoom

Doesn’t seem to be so keen on fishing now thou 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

He’ll get his.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to be so keen on fishing now thou 🙂

Can’t barrage the Farage. I see what you’re trying to do. But to the Majority Of British People he’s a complete Hero. A dashing and dauntless saviour from the mushy wokeness of multicultural liberalism and lefty lEUnacy

You won’t win any fans by pretending otherwise.

Great British Fisherman now have Financial Freedom and more importantly Happy British Fish. This is the perfect opportunity for a Great British Economic Boom.

Naysayers sell no ice cream or popcorn yet still wonder why it is that Nigel is beaming and booming. The joke is on them.

willard

@dannyh No he won’t. He’ll end up living his life out on the money he earned as a banker and then the money he earned from the institutions he was riling against. The people that believed he was one of them, or that he would bring back some sort of economic glory period will not be so lucky.

It’s like Johnson. He won’t face trial, or a hostile enquiry, or a sacking (again). He’ll just move to the speaking circuit and make a fortune from his act. When he gets bored and leaves, it will not be in the interest of the government to push for an inquiry, investigation or prosecution, they will just want him gone.

PhilO
    Free Member

He’ll end up living his life out on the money he earned was paid as a banker and then the money he earned was paid from the institutions he was riling against.

FTFY

[pet-hate of mine!]

asbrooks

According to every 3rd youtube ad I seem to get his smug mug telling us that he’s at time of writing bagged 80,000 subscribers to his F*rtune and Freed*m precious metal-buying newsletter daily email. A snip at £199pa. Or 54 and a half pence per day in old money.

I use Adblock plus, I’d even pay for an adblocker to keep that opportunistic liar from popping up on my screen.

asbrooks

He’ll get his.

I effing hope so

p7eaven
    Free Member

He’ll get his.

His what?

Yacht?
    Platinum pension?
    Passport to Pimlico?
    Statue?
    Nobel Peace Prize?
    Undying affection from Donald Trump?
    Most Rightful Place As Prime Minister?
    Most Rightful Place As Honorary Prime Minister via The Medium Of Youtube?
    Brand recognised as the best thing for Britain Since Sliced Bread?
    Toppling Of The EU?

Maybe all of those and more. One thing is for sure and that is that it does not pay to underestimate his power and influence. An angry and increasingly struggling electorate will need an Umpire for their Blame Games. And what better umpire for such games? The well-connected GB News will have a limo that stretches from his front door to the studio. His Brand is ascending. The ‘antiwoke’ gravy train and anti-‘Marxist’ dollar is just getting started.

binners

He’ll get his.

I’d imagine his career trajectory will be much the same as his old schoolmate Dave.

The PM bit is little more than a chance to accrue the contacts something to allow access to the boundless morally-questionable riches that lie beyond

Could I do some lobbying on your behalf with my old mates?

Certainly. If you just leave the cheque blank, I’ll fill in all the naughts

Isn’t Dave’s going rate £120 grand an hour?

kimbers

Dave gets £115k a year salary as an exPM, doesn’t he?

willard

@PhilO Point taken, and accepted. In the case of his EU salary, I doubt he put any effort into doing actual constructive work.

kimbers

So what happens next for NI?

UK government seem in no way interested in resetting relationship with EU, which is the only way solutions can be found.

I’m not sure how much longer they can keep ignoring the problem.

The recent riots were only a taster, if this isn’t resolved by the summer, its going to really kick off. Does it take police being killed before the brexiteers start to care.

What’s interesting is that a lot of the Loyalists anger is directed at the ERG (rather than the DUP) who they feel betrayed them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/12/northern-ireland-offers-warning-few-are-hearing/603196/

I doubt we’d ever see Loyalists attacking UK mainland politicians, but one of the reasons for brexit & Johnsons deal was so we could diverge further on the future

This means NI moving further toward EU and away from rUK, everyone seems to be ignoring that this will only inflame the situation

dissonance

Or most likely Northern Ireland didn’t even enter their heads,

Aside from some of those pushing for it were the “loyalists” who are now getting upset about it.
    The DUP and co support for brexit was somewhat baffling. I assume it was based on the idea that they saw remaining in the EU continuing to bring the parts of Ireland closer together and hence breaking off would stop that. However I cant see how they thought that bit would work.

dissonance

Dave gets £115k a year salary as an exPM, doesn’t he?

They get up to 115k a year to run their office/correspondence/speaking expenses for any remaining public roles. Its not exactly clear what does and doesnt consist that though. Plus they get a not bad pension on top.
    Dave doesnt seem to have done to well especially when compared with Osborne.

tjagain

Does it take police being killed before the brexiteers start to care.

They don’t and won’t. The only solution they will offer is a police clampdown.

binners

Does it take police being killed before the brexiteers start to care.

I don’t think they’ll even care then. They couldn’t give a toss about NI. It was always utterly expendable in their eyes to achieve the holy grail of Brexit

What’s utterly baffling is the level of Stockholm Syndrome in the DUP. Even now, as theres riots going on, they’re still in complete denial about the fact that they’ve been sold down the river.

If they think that Boris and the Brexiteers are going to do anything at all to bail them out, they’re absolutely delusional. And things are going to get an awful lot worse once the full customs regime comes in in the summer. This is just the warm up.

I think you’re absolutely right Kimbers. I think its going to go off big time in the summer.

Unfortunately, I think TJ’s right and this government is so dismissive of NI politics that all I can see is them mounting some ill-judged authoritarian crackdown and massively inflaming the situation

Remember that this is the level of understanding of NI politics in the present Tory Party. This was under May. This lot are even worse

Karen Bradley has admitted that before becoming Northern Ireland secretary she was profoundly ignorant of the country’s political divisions and “slightly scared” of the place.

She said she was unaware that nationalists did not vote for unionists and that unionists did not vote for nationalists – the most elementary fact about Northern Ireland politics.

Just let that sink in….

nickc

I doubt we’d ever see Loyalists attacking UK mainland politicians

I wouldn’t be so sure. Many of the more hard-line unionists noted that just the merest hint of the threat of violence coming from nationalists paramilitary groups over an Irish land border was enough from Dublin the EU and England to “sell them out” (as they see it) That’s an open invitation to some segments of loyalist support. I think they’re only just getting going.

nickc

they’re still in complete denial about the fact that they’ve been sold down the river

What choice do they have? Any opposition to Brexit is too late, and they can hardly join forces with Labour and be in opposition to their own party (especially so soon after the previous Labour leader was so pro the nationalist cause)…I think fundamentally the DUP will have to learn to live with the outcome. I’ve no idea what that means for them electorally

p7eaven
    Free Member

Just let that sink in….

It’s just one of the many reasons why I largely stopped reading ‘the news’.

Everything is increasingly and mind-bogglingly both dishonest and dysfunctional. A shell game played by shills.

Talking of which –

Soon to be launched Pro-Brexit ‘right wing ‘news’ channel claiming to be ‘impartial’ boss Andrew Neill recently claimed:

There’s a restlessness, a sense that they’re being talked down to; that much of the media no longer reflects their values or shares their concerns.

“GB News is aimed squarely at those people.”

He said the channel will appeal to the 80% of Britons who live outside Greater London.

Er…short memory, Andrew, or are we being loose with the facts and rolling off irresponsible rhetoric before you’ve even launched? Surely not?

Afore ye forget:

He went on:

He said that GB News will be “proud of our country” but he said: “Above all, we will conform to all the Ofcom rules designed to ensure impartiality and the absence of bias in news broadcasting.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/gb-news-advertising-boycott/

‘Impartiality’? GB News?

Dan Wootton, the former executive Sun gossipmonger who broke the Megxit story, became the channel’s first big on-air signing.

Brexit Party candidate Michelle Dewberry will chair a primetime evening show.

Paul Marshall helped stump up the roughly £60m needed. Who?

As well as his role as chairman, Andrew Neil will host a flagship evening programme between 8pm and 9pm four nights a week.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Media Show it will be “pretty segmented so it can be replayed in digital format” with a monologue to begin, main story, Wokewatch, main interview, Mediawatch, and regular guests like Michael Portillo and Diane Abbott

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/what-is-gb-news-everything-you-need-to-know/

‘Impartiality’

🤣🤣🤣😉🤣🤣🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

I wonder when Neil last looked himself square in the eye via a reflective object?

dannyh
    Free Member

I wonder when he last looked himself square in the eye via a reflective object?

Probably just before saying ‘yeah’ or ‘you the man’ in a guttural voice whilst tugging himself off and thinking about all the dosh he can make by staying just the right side of the line in stirring up racial/xenophobic hatred.

binners

It’s pretty obvious it’s just going to be Fox News for the UK.

Unfortunately, I think theres plenty of demand for it.

Is it me being cynical or has the timing of Boris’s new blue and flag-festooned ‘media room’ arrived rather coincidentally at the same time as the launch of GB News?

It looks like the stars have (purely coincidentally, I’m sure) aligned to deliver what is effectively a televisual mouthpiece for Tory propaganda in the same way the tabloid press is.

And Boris’s GB News backdrop was all funded by the taxpayer too. Result!

And, yes, as for it costing 2.6 million… I wonder which one of his mates got that contract?

dannyh
    Free Member

Boris’s new blue and flag-festooned ‘media room’

The one in the style of ‘Nuremberg Radisson’?

Wonder how much dosh the mates ‘consultants’ trousered for that one.

dovebiker

Dave doesnt seem to have done to well especially when compared with Osborne.

He’s going to have to be speaking a bit more given that his estimated £60m of Greensill share options have vaporised 🤣

p7eaven
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I think theres plenty of demand for it.

There’s a massive demand for it. Brexit wasn’t enough of a blame game for them.

It was always just the beginning.

So who would demand conspicuously pro right-wing agenda/division disguised as an ‘alternative to the hordes of bearded gay Islamic black middle class feminazi elite bloodsucking communists currently running the show with their plandemic globalist ecoterrorism?’ Well, I’m guessing:

1. The (by a narrow margin) majority of Brits (around half?) Living In The Brexit Britain Which They Created and then handed wholesale to their masters. But especially the perma-whining ultra-patriot snowflakes who think they are an ‘unheard minority’ because the BBC or ITV or somesuch has more than one dark-skinned employee and last year didn’t have a choir at the proms because WOKENESS and (sic) ‘communists’ and foreigners Covid.

2. Fantasy Libertarian League Of Disaster Capitalists. And actual ones. Who are funding it. Weird that.

3. Some more beetroot-faced snowflakes who still feel marginalised and outraged because cousin Kevin ‘doesn’t think that Brexit was a great idea’.

4. Piers Morgan fans

5. Some people who are quite literally politically illiterate

6. Donald Trump

7. Me, myself, and a need that my suspicions (and biases) be roundly-confirmed. See also the very smallest segment of viewers:

8. Factcheckers

Also:

9. People who are disproportionately averse to factchecking

10. People who profess to hate (sic) ‘the elite’ every last piece as much as they also don’t understand irony.

11. Uncle Bill, who doesn’t trust those foreigners. Never did. And there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s about time he had a voice because he’s been marginalised etc.

inkster
    Free Member

While watching the unfolding events at the US Capitol building on the 6th January I was alerted to an Andrew Neil tweet accomanying video footage of the mob ascending the hill and about to begin the assault.

Neil tweeted:

“I’ve seen more people at a St. Mirren game!” (an oblique reference to a football game that was cancelled). He was effectively saying ‘nothing to see here’.

So cometh the most shocking political event of my lifetime and the beast of tweet street makes perhaps the wrongest and most stupid comment of our time. It puts ‘peace in our time’ in the shade. At least the peace held for a few months in 1939, within minutes of Neil’s tweet the roof had fallen in.

When events unfurled and the error of his ways was pointed out to him he seemed to excuse the mob by equating the mob with BLM protesters. Literally as terrorists were roaming the halls, looking to hang Mike Pence and slit the throat of AOC, Andrew Neil thought the journalistic thing to do was troll BLM.

This is the standard of Journalism we can expect from News UK and the like.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, going back to NI for a minute, did I hear on the news this morning that whoever the self-appointed “we look after the bonfires” nutters are, have declared that they won’t be liaising with the PSNI come the season where they set fire to their few pallets? Jeez, Summer’s gonna be awesome!

binners

And when it does all go off, I wonder if the UK media will bother reporting any of it.

Its been pretty noticeable, while we’ve already mentioned flag-wave TV, that the mainstream media have virtually ignored two weeks of rioting, just as they’ve sidelined everything else that contradicts the ‘isn’t Brexit brilliant?!’ narrative

dannyh
    Free Member

they won’t be liaising with the PSNI

Which, in turn, means the PSNI turning up to more random places with less information to hand, leading to more tension, more likelihood of them being jumped, more likelihood of a jumpy constable pulling a trigger…..etc etc.

When it comes to NI, Johnson is being criminally irresponsible. The only hope really is that his obsession with a place in history leads to him not wanting to be remembered in history as the man who caused another 30 year killing spree.

Can’t somebody tell him there’s a distillery at Bushmills or something? To stoke his interest. Or maybe a buxom waitress businesswoman who’ll nosh him off for £100k of taxpayers’ money?

dannyh
    Free Member

mainstream media have virtually ignored two weeks of rioting, just as they’ve sidelined everything else that contradicts the ‘isn’t Brexit brilliant?!’ narrative

The writing is on the wall for the Beeb. There is already a Johnson/Gove shill in charge there.

“Let them make a few programmes for Black History Month but make them put it on BBC4 at 11pm, otherwise go full Goebbles on their asses”.

PhilO
    Free Member

And when it does all go off, I wonder if the UK media will bother reporting any of it.

Of course they will. They’ll report that it’s all the dastardly EU’s fault. 🙁

kimbers

Of course they will. They’ll report that it’s all the dastardly EU’s fault

That’s going to get harder, even for our client press. The UK (well the Tories) wants to diverge further, each time they do that NI gets put out further on a limb

binners

Indeed. With each step away from the EU that Boris and chums will take, NI remaining part of the UK becomes less and less tenable.

And it’s barely tenable now.

Whatever the Brexiteers say, the reality of the matter is that they’ve created a border in the Irish Sea. People may not pay much attention or much care in Engerland, but that isn’t washing with anyone who lives in NI. They expressly said they wouldn’t do that, and they’ve done it

This will not end well

dissonance

People may not pay much attention or much care in Engerland, but that isn’t washing with anyone who lives in NI

I would say its sitting pretty well with quite a few people who live in NI. Just not the ones who voted for brexit and helped funnel dodgy cash into the brexit coffers for use, particularly, in England.

binners

It’s a novel approach, isn’t it?

Half the country hate you anyway, so lets set about alienating the half that don’t by completely betraying them and doing the one thing you absolutely, definitely, positively assured them that you would never, ever do

p7eaven
    Free Member

Half the country hate you anyway, so lets set about alienating the half that don’t by completely betraying them and doing the one thing you absolutely, definitely, positively assured them that you would never, ever do

You seem not to have faith in the Stockholm Syndrome. Paired with a perfectly amorphous and yet many-headed shared enemy (foreign, gay, black, lefty, Muslim, ‘woke’, commie, ‘elite’, ‘expert’, Remainiac, hater, etc) then Stockholm Syndrome is not just unconsciously denied. At this level the abuser is paradoxically both unseen and yet also embraced towards a shared goal (destruction and/or assimilation of the out-group)

Viewing 40 posts - 8,481 through 8,520 (of 13,581 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.