• This topic has 8,025 replies, 355 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by dannyh.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 8,026 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Premier Icon igm

PS – I can understand the not that stupid view. I think I would hold that one too if sat in France.

PPS – empires do tend to collapse. Countries are distinct from empires.
    TJ has a point about Britain because it is tending to act like the English empire at the moment – in my jaundiced opinion.

Premier Icon kelvin

Because UK folks won’t vote for it or because EU types ain’t that stupid?

1) because no UK government would offer it to us
    2) because the French won’t let us back in as a member

I agree with your reasoning about the UK being part of a wider Europe, as the EFTA countries are, eventually. But no, even when a majority of the UK public think we should rejoin, it will not happen now. Giving up membership was a one way thing, which is why doing so on a single vote, narrowly won, based on multiple contradictory premises that the winners dumped straight after the vote, wasn’t just foolish, it was a democratic failure.

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

We will never get back into the EU, they have got rid of “Uncle nob head” and can easily absorb the economic impact. They also got a cracking deal on the way out.

It simplfies their business model, removes a thorn and allows control to be centralised in Northern Europe, make them more attractive to external investment and drives them towards a stronger relationship with Russia, China, Japan and the USA – they also dont have the Hong Kong baggage.

To be blunt its almost perfect from an EU perspective.

Premier Icon igm

even when a majority of the UK public think we should rejoin

Just for info/amusement, from whatukthinks.org

November 2020, 53:47 to rejoin.

It has been bouncing around a bit though.

There’s been a consistent majority who think we were wrong to leave for over two years now. (I’m blaming FFTP for the ridiculous Brexy majority we have)

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

My god we have ****ed up….

Premier Icon igm

oldmanmtb2 – you might be right there (both your last two posts)

Premier Icon igm

Incidentally, why bigger countries?

Balance of power, traditionally between countries, these days between countries and multinational companies / financial interests – particularly in the days of globalised finance and interweb.

The views stated are my own and not necessarily a reflection of a sane view of the real world (but maybe…)

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

I can see the rUK moving into a SM/CU relationship with the EU, but no further for a while. With a population uninterested in facts why would the EU want another Hungary onboard?

Premier Icon mariner
    Free Member
    Premier Icon PrinceJohn

Bet you cannot guess what the husband of the MP in this local news report does…

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/19026193.shellfish-exporters-falmouth-penryn-23m-brexit-fund/

Premier Icon kelvin

So, we’re already at the subsiding the fishing industry to make up for Brexit stage. Came sooner than even Project Fear warned.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

How long will that £23m last? My guess is not very long at all. It sounds a big number but in terms of an industry it’s peanuts.

Premier Icon mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Wasn’t the fishing industry loosing £1m per day? £23m should cover until Saturday then.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

even when a majority of the UK public think we should rejoin

17 million voted leave. Wonder if that vote was rerun how many would now vote leave. I reckon 5 million tops.
    52 million voting adults in the UK.

Premier Icon oakleymuppet
    Free Member

In further good news, talentless **** can’t get work in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/20/brexiter-roger-daltrey-criticises-restrictions-for-musicians-touring-europe

Oh well mate, I still can.

Premier Icon Northwind

TBH Daltrey’s position isn’t at all hypocritical. Proper rules for touring artists would have required literally no effort for the government to achieve- it was offered by the EU, with the only requirement being reciprocity, and was rejected for no apparent reason. You can absolutely be pro-brexit and still think that the brexit we’ve been handed is worse than it had to be, or that specific parts are completely moronic.

And he is, in the end, sticking up for other people- he himself doesn’t have to worry about it.

Premier Icon oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Nahhh.

I think it’s funny, he still caveats it and partially blames the EU by attacking Brussels.

He’s a prick and got what he voted for, what the **** did he expect to happen when untangling decades and decades of closer economic co-operation.

Following publication of the letter, Daltrey, 76, said: “Every tour, individual actors and musicians should be treated as any other ‘goods’ at the point of entry to the EU with one set of paperwork. Switzerland has borders with five EU countries and trade is electronically frictionless. Why not us?”

Because people aren’t goods they’re immigrants and Switzerland may as well be in the EU, all of which vote leave hated.

You like The Who don’t you Northwind….that’s up there with Bono apologism.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Meanwhile…. just in case the EU start to forget what a petty little sh*t of a country we have become… we set out to remind them asap.

Trumpism continues to live on in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55742664

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Trumpism continues to live on in the UK.

Yep, and expect to see the EU & EU27 countries tighten their ‘rules’ on ALL UK citizens.

But hey, Brexshi**ers don’t want to go to France.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/james-o-brien-leave-voter-lbc-radio-air-live-brexit-brexiteer-argument-call-standoff-a7835011.html

Premier Icon kelvin

The Foreign Office is insisting he and his officials should not have the privileges and immunities afforded to diplomats under the Vienna Convention.

It is understood not to want to set a precedent by treating an international body in the same way as a nation state.

What the actual ____! If we’re not careful, this will end up with our official representatives to the UN & NATO having their status reduced.

Premier Icon oldbloke
    Free Member

The £23m for seafood won’t go far, and if they include the PM’s words in the eligibility (if you didn’t fill in your forms properly, that’s your fault) then many won’t be eligible as a large part of the chaos was caused by people unfamiliar with systems and getting it wrong.

Some might be eligible – such as if your load was caught up when HMRC systems went down last weekend. My view is that the £23M would be better spent on fixing the flaky systems, training on how to use them and resource in the logistics hubs to help people navigate them. Prevent future loses rather than patch a bit and leave systems so bad further losses are inevitable.

Premier Icon kimbers

The Foreign Office is insisting he and his officials should not have the privileges and immunities afforded to diplomats under the Vienna Convention.

It is understood not to want to set a precedent by treating an international body in the same way as a nation state

Its a mixture of pettiness & wanting to keep the animosity up, to boost flagging poll numbers among the gammony base

Premier Icon torsoinalake
    Free Member

Meanwhile…. just in case the EU start to forget what a petty little sh*t of a country we have become… we set out to remind them asap.

Brexit as performance art.

They’ve got nothing. They know it, we know it, on some level Roger Daltry knows it. (At the moment I’m rationalising vocal Brexit supporters as the guys that have spent the season bigging up their team and maybe even put a tasty bet on them. We are now on the Monday morning where they come into the office having watched their team yet again get absolutely dicked and not make it out of the group stages. Their sole contribution to the discussion is, “Well we WERE playing against 12 men” before going back to sulking at their desk. We’ve just got to hope they get to the “well the coach needs to go, if he can’t deliver with that level of talent, then there is no hope” sooner rather than later).

Manufactured anger has proved an effective political tool to distract from actual anger. So we need to occasionally expect a man in a Union Jack suit hammering nails into his scrotum in a desperate hope that they will start trending on the social media dashboard in Number 10.

However, the circle is tightening. People that voted for this are realising immediate consequences. Traditional Tory voters are getting burnt, and I would imagine the newly minted “Red Wall” MPs are particularly feeing the heat. America has an adult back in charge. Actual decisions are going to need to be made by actual leaders.

Hopefully we find some and pay attention to them rather than Union Jack “It’s so painful WE ALLLLLL FEEL IT!!! WHHHOOOO” McJackface.

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I think many people just didn’t get the fact that a market the size of the EU can internalise the loss of the UK fairly easily (German reunification for example) and place orders for stuff internally and also go globally to third countries if they need a better price (after all the UK is now outside)

We will still buy EU stuff because we can get EU stuff outside the EU (Think BMW)

Non of the above is rocket science or complex economics most of it is common sense and the route of least resistance.

Premier Icon binners

The £23m for seafood won’t go far, and if they include the PM’s words in the eligibility (if you didn’t fill in your forms properly, that’s your fault) then many won’t be eligible as a large part of the chaos was caused by people unfamiliar with systems and getting it wrong.

This government is world beating at one thing: making grand headline-grabbing announcements of schemes that nobody actually qualifies for. See: Covid help for the self employed people that covers less than half of self employed people. The prize example being the Covid grants to help people self-isolate when asked to by track and trace. In the North West, 77% of these claims were being rejected.

I expect the Scottish fisherfolk will never see a penny of that supposed £23 million and will all quietly go bust, ignored by a Brexity press

Premier Icon alcolepone
    Free Member

Brexit: ‘I was asked to pay an extra £82 for my £200 coat’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

mean while amazon sorts the VAt for sellers….small business’s are going to die…..

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

Surprise, dipsticks.

Sorry, nothing useful to add.

Other than this being just another woefully predictable result. Wailing from the hard of thinking about how Brexit just cheesed up their recreational shopping addiction.

Premier Icon growmac
    Free Member

I’ve only gone back a few pages, but in case any of you needed further cheering up.

Medical Devices need a CE mark to be sold in the EU. It’s now not possible to get a CE mark without going to an EU notified body, and the overall regulator, the EMA, has moved from London to Amsterdam. Current CE marks roll over until June 2023, but then all devices will need a UKCA (Conformity Assessment) mark to be sold in GB, and a NICA to be sold in NI.

Thing is. They’re going for a different set of regulations to that which has been used in the EU for the last few years, roughly based on the MDD rather than the current MDR. So, *every* device will need to be re-certified by 2023 or will have to be taken off sale.

It costs about £100k (ballpark) and months of work to do that for each device – expect to see a lot of companies decide that a market of 60 million doesn’t justify it for less popular stuff. NI are particularly screwed, as the UKNI mark isn’t the same as CE or UKCA. For a market of a couple of million expect (hope?) to see some emergency legislation as otherwise there will be almost no medical devices available.

Calamitous. We’ve gone from leading things and being instrumental in making the rules to forcing business abroad and rendering our market almost non-viable.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

mean while amazon sorts the VAt for sellers….small business’s are going to die…..

they can always pay the Bezos tax….

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We’ve gone from leading things and being instrumental in making the rules to forcing business abroad and rendering our market almost non-viable.

It won’t just be medical tech that is free to make its own sovereign laws.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

I think this may actually be an example of a successful outcome of Brexit for some leave voters. A wee kick in the knackers for the comfortably off and middle classes.

Premier Icon alcolepone
    Free Member

I think this may actually be an example of a successful outcome of Brexit for some leave voters. A wee kick in the knackers for the comfortably off and middle classes.

WTF?! how about turn that anger at the mega wealthy, £200 isn’t cheap, but neither is it a particularly outrageous amount to pay.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

WTF?! how about turn that anger at the mega wealthy, £200 isn’t cheap, but neither is it a particularly outrageous amount to pay.

spending £20 on a primark sweetshop special that’ll last a couple of weeks is good, spending a bit more, that hopefully was made in better conditions and is more durable is bad….

Premier Icon duckman

I

nickjb Free Member

What model of bike do you have? Or is that different?

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Some serious missing of the point going on. 52% voted to leave. It was pretty obvious that leaving would make thing worse for people at the bottom so why did they do it? I don’t think they were all disaster capitalists. There will be quite a few racists in there but what about the rest? If you don’t think it was a protest vote, what was it? They even voted for Boris FFS rather than an actual left wing Labour. I can’t say I fully understand but that “let them eat cake” attitude above does show there is an issue that we probably need to do something about (although it is hard when they keep voting against it).

Almost forgot, I have an On One 456

Premier Icon mdavids
    Free Member

Nissan – Brexit deal is positive

“Chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta said the deal gives Nissan the chance to “redefine the industry” and described new customs procedures resulting from Brexit as “peanuts”.

So not all bad then. And according to many on here the plant was dead in the water with or without a trade deal.

Premier Icon tjagain

it is as other statements have made absolutely clear and as the reality is

Remember Johnson begging manufacturers to give him some good news? this is the result.

Premier Icon nickc

So not all bad then

I’m really pleased for the folk who work at the plant that their livelihoods are safe, it must be a massive relief for them. and don’t forget, whatever Nissan agreed with the government under May was probably a big chunk of that. But that doesn’t mean shit all for the folk who rely on FoM for their income though, and who’re finding the hard way that their govt has just **** them…

Premier Icon tjagain

what was it?

they were duped and lied to by people pandering to their petty xenophobia and delusions of empire

Premier Icon nickc

If you don’t think it was a protest vote, what was it?

Don’t underestimate the huge numbers of folk who’s reasoning for leaving the EU doesn’t extend beyond “We didn’t fight 2 wars to be ruled over by a bunch of foreigners” It’s the most consistent “reason” I’ve heard from the brexiteers I’ve spoken with, regardless of age.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,681 through 6,720 (of 8,026 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.