Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brecons Gap Ride – on Cyclocross bikes?
  • stick_man

A group of us want to do the Gap ride next week.

Looking at the pics it doesn’t appear overly technical so we thought we might ride it on our cross bikes. Is that a good idea?

Thanks.

trailmonkey

It’s not at all technical apart from the gap itself which is a bit loose and rocky with a couple of slabby steps.

coopersport1
    Free Member

From what I remember from riding it years ago and reading a ride guide in MBUK a Cross bike would get destroyed on some of the fairly long rocky gully descents.
    However it may make the fireroad churning a different experience.

Brown
    Free Member

I don’t think I would. Depending on the route you take, you’d struggle on a few bits and there’s now way I’d enjoy it as much. The actual gap track would probably be fine, but I would say DEFINITELY more fun on a mountain bike.

(Sections in point: Techy descent low down on the climb if you’re going South to North and then fast rocky stuff off the top. Also, if you go the way I do, very rocky stuff along the bottom and on the way back south).

I used to ride the Peak on a Jake the Snake, so I’m not afraid of some rocks on a CX bike, just know I would personally have MUCH more fun on a mountain bike on the gap.

MrAgreeable

Take plenty of spare tubes. In fact, take plenty of spare wheels.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

do it and report back, like its been said you will be slower descending but you will get down, I did drum mountain in north wales on mine and it was interesting to say the least.

stick_man

Thanks everyone. the MTB / CX option looks essentially like a choice between a day of fun and a day of suffering!

Brown
    Free Member

It’s a weird ride in a way – parts would be infinitely better on a CX bike…

TrilbyQ
    Free Member

I rode the Brecon Beast a couple of years ago on my cross bike when it went down the Gap (had gone up it the year before).
    I must admit that I looked at a couple of photos of the top the week before the ride, to work out the best looking line, & apart from one dab at the top, I managed to ride it all perfectly (for me anyway). The bike stayed in one piece (an Uncle John).

mrmo
    Free Member

I road the gap yesterday, the first section after leaving Tal-y-Bont on the taff trail a piece of piss, a road bike would be fine. second bit i did involved a climb, bit rocky but not impossible on a cross bike, third section reasonably high level track, again fine a few big puddles, decent down to valley level. First part was loose rocks, pick a line take it easy be fine. the gap climb itself, again no issues, a bit loose a few rocks. The only problem would be the river crossing. This is a problem for anything so no issue.

This leaves the decent from the Gap itself, lots and lots of rocks. rock steps, loose rocks etc. I think with care a cross bike could do most of this. depends on the rider i think as how light they can ride, and tyres. Problem would be pinch punctures.

Then a quick blast through the lanes to the start.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brecons Gap Ride – on Cyclocross bikes?’ is closed to new replies.