Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brechfa Trail Centre – Worth the trip? Where to stay? How 'black' is the Raven?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Thinking of making the pilgrimage up to Brechfa from Devon.
    Done Afan loads and fancy a change.
    Is there a days worth of riding up there if i do the Gorlech trail and the Raven?
    How black is the Raven, is it full of unavoidable jumps and gaps etc or is it just technical?
    Is there anywhere decent to stay for a night with bike security, nearby pub etc? I guess i’m hoping for an Afan lodge style place.

Twodogs

Don’t know about places to stay but the gorlech and raven combined is a good 3 to 4 hr ride and, imho, very good. No unavoidable gap jumps but fairly technical in places and some tough climbs.
    And if you want more I believe the green and blue runs are good fun…the faster the better.

Black Lion in Abergorlech does great good….faggots to die for 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is there a days worth of riding up there if i do the Gorlech trail and the Raven?

That’s plenty for me in a day. Depending on how fit you are you can always add some other trails too.

How black is the Raven, is it full of unavoidable jumps and gaps etc or is it just technical?

The black does have jumpy, droppy bits, but there are chicken lines (which are the ones I use). Because of this I can’t tell the difference between the red and the black. It’s all very swoopy and flowy with a natural feel.

frogstomp

The couple of times I’ve been there I’ve stayed at Glasfryn Guesthouse which is close by – reasonably priced and welcoming. They have a bar on site and I think the pub down the road has just reopened.

rusty90
    Free Member

the pub down the road has just reopened

And offers accommodation as well http://www.forestarms.com/accommodation-in-brechfa.html

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

meh – Id hit the FoD, Quantocks. More bang for your buck and less traveling

been Brechfa a few times just a long way. Black red not much difference there IMHO. All day? Nope.

teenrat

Theres enough there for a good day out. The brechfa monster (red and black figure of 8 ) is between 3 to 4 hours. I’d then drive upto Cwm Rhaeder and do a few laps of that. Nothing is hard or unavoidable at Brechfa or Cwm Rhaeder. The emphasis is definately on ‘flow’.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa Trail Centre – Worth the trip? Where to stay? How 'black' is the Raven?’ is closed to new replies.