Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Brechfa and Afan many trees down?
  • LoCo
    Free Member

After Cwmcarn took 3 days to clear of trees from last weekends whether I’m just wondering how Brechfa and Afan faired as I’m off on a little trip to them both this weekend.
    We don’t mind having to climb over them just would prefer not to stove into one at speed 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Brechfa red was ok as of Sunday.

rusty90
    Free Member

Brechfa green/blue/black all OK (but wet)

LoCo
    Free Member

Great cheers water and mud isn’t an issue (not very stw I know 😉 )

Cwmcarn has only just been cleared 6 chainsaw teams and 3 days apparantly, some ofthe other local trails are properly trashed by fallen trees too 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Si, any idea if Cwmcarn DH is affected ? Were going on Saturday.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi Scruff, just finished being cleared according to Kenny the uplift driver, there were 12 trees across it ! Think Cwmdown are running today

rickon
    Free Member

LoCo Supension tuning Guru in riding mountain bike shocker!

8)

The big question is…. will you still ride like a big kid? bunny hopping the fallen trees…

plodtv
    Free Member

On Sunday white’s climb had a fair few we had to go round/over, we moved what we could. Decided it was futile and went down skyline descent, was pretty clear on that, what was in the way we ducked or moved and could see well in advance.

Didn’t see any of the Wall, and not sure what the post apocalypse clean up has been like.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers Plod, has anybody been round W2 since the weekend am guessing they’ll have cleared it by now, if not can ride elsewhere but would be good to know to save a journey.

I shall be riding sensibly wear a helmet, high viz tabard with cycle clips and a flag, Rickon 😯

granny_ring

Attempted the whites on monday and I reckon there were at least a dozen trees across the trail. Didn’t realise that a couple of sections were closed too so it was a bit of a bad day all round really.

DT78
    Free Member

hmmmm this doesn’t sound good, I’m heading up tomorrow, was planning on a couple of loops of twrch then staying at afan lodge for 2 nights.

what trails are open / closed?

Sounds like whites isn’t worth it, is pen still closed?

LoCo
    Free Member

Mate just back from Afan, 4 trees on the climb from Glyncorrwg easy to get over, and the two final descents on Whites are shut (darkside and goodwood?!)
    From end of energy climb back up to start of black run and then down the July trail apparantly, not sure on the Wall.

chopchop
    Free Member

Rode the Wall yesterday, no trees across the trails. There were a couple down blocking the fireroad climbs but all were passable. I didn’t go over the link road to Whites but assume it would be clear or at least passable.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ignore ive found out the info i wanted!

DT78
    Free Member

Just back, few down on whites climb which are passable. Quite a few down on skyline which were more of a faff to pass. Added to the epic feel.

cheers_drive

There are quite a few trees down at the start of the Cwm Rhaeadr descent, and on on the climb. Shame as it was my first visit and it looked good but it totally spoilt a large section.

smiff
    Free Member

noooo have they logged the lovely skyline/the wall descents? not the same without the trees :/ when i was there the last descent of the Wall had been logged, doesn’t feel as fast or interesting to us when you can see the whole thing in front of you.
    but least they haven’t ruined the trail like Pennhyd?

wavejumper
    Free Member

The are trees across the W2 link between wall and whites but they are passable. I did the whole W2 and managed it but the last downhills of whites are diverted. I ended up doing the skyline decent instead.

hugor
    Free Member

Such a long time now that Afan has been raped and pillaged by the FC. I’m sick of it. The recent closure of goodwood and dark side makes the place not worth visiting IMO.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i thought goodwood and darkside were closed during the weekdays only..?

makkag
    Free Member

hugor im pretty sure that a lot of the felling is due to tree disease mate.

not all perhaps but a massive cause,

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/web-allbysubject/D2D85624AE4C33F1802578F1004CE130

plodtv
    Free Member

I know it’s past that weekend, but still a few trees over the trail towards the top sections of white’s climb.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa and Afan many trees down?’ is closed to new replies.