Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brechfa/Afan bike friendly accommodation
  • joebristol

As above, a few of us are planning a long weekend biking in August. Plan is BMCC on the Friday / Brechfa Saturday morning / Afan Sat afternoon / something sun morning before driving back to Bristol. Sun morning maybe Afan – I think that’s favourite at the moment  – unless we do a Cwmcarn / something else on way back along the m4.

Its probably going to break me in terms of fitness as I haven’t ridden 3 days in a row since I was about 16 (now 37) apart from commuting / short rides. My mate however does this every year and is a monster on the climbs.

We we’re thinking about trying to find somewhere to crash near Brechfa on the Friday night and somewhere near Afan on the Saturday night.

Ideally it needs secure bike storage above all else and to be clean etc – but basic is fine – just shower facilities.

In an ideal world we don’t want to have to put tents up and down so those pod type things look ok, or B and B etc etc.

Has anyone found anywhere decent in those areas recently?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Forest Arms in Brechfa, lovely pub!

gnusmas

Joe, if you struggle on the friday night to find anywhere that is bike friendly, how about looking for a place to stay nearer Carmarthen? If you manage that, you are more than welcome to store your bikes in my garage for the night.

Can’t offer you to stay unfortunately, no room, loads of kids and Mrs G and her issues but the offer is there. Email is in my profile if you need it.

niksnr
    Free Member

Bryan Bettws near Afan. It’s on Y Wall trail and the skills Park is right next door. We usually stay in the cabins. Sleep 5 and have their own showers. Bike storage in secure lock-up and they will do evening meals for extra on request. Going again in September.

joebristol

Thanks for the offer Gnasmus!

Mat thr moment we’ve found a couple of bunkhouses near Brechfa with  secure bike storage which we’re toying with. I want to ring and see how secure they class as secure first though!

Bryn Bettws looks good – thanks Nik. Will see if they have vacancies given we’re not far from August. Bit of last minute.com.

So looking forward to this trip!

zilog6128

Brechfa’s a fairly long trail & the red’s a bit boring esp. if there are still closures. Given that it’s an extra couple of hours driving there & back from Afan I wouldn’t bother personally – there’s enough at Afan to do at least a full days riding. Cwmcarn highly recommended as there’s 2 great XC trails there as well as the DH trails.

joebristol

I do Cwmcarn probably about 6 times a year – both red trails and the pedalhounds trails. So not too concerned about going there.

My mate is keen on Brechfa for some reason – he also wanted to try and fit in another red trail about 20 miles north of Brechfa on the same day as the uplift day but I said that was stretching it a bit too much (plus I’m not that fit!). I’ve not been to Brechfa or BMCC and only to Afan once so this ticks off some places I’ve not been yet 😃

flybywire
    Free Member

Highly recommended

Stayed for the dragon ride

Home

zilog6128

Your mate is probably talking about Cwm Rhaeadr. I like it but it’s a very short trail and not really worth the extra driving. I’d definitely stop for a ride if passing though.

joebristol

Ah thats the bad boy. We’re going directnfrom BMCC to near Brechfa (via wherever we decide to stay that night) and it looks like Cwm Rheadr isn’t on the way. So will probably talk him out of that one. After an uplift day I don’t think I’ll be chomping to drive out of my way to do a short red trail in the middle of nowhere. Especially not with another day and a half’s riding still to go!

I’ll also look up Tyn Cellar Farm – thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa/Afan bike friendly accommodation’ is closed to new replies.