Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Breathlessness
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Over the last year I have had a couple of periods when I have found myself struggling to breath when exercising. I have had a lot of tests for heart, lung function etc. Doctor scratched his head and passed me to Asthma nurse, who is pretty much doing the same now. She tried me with various inhalers on the basis it might be late onset asthma, but they seem to have little effect.
    Anyone else experienced anything similar? I am not letting it stop me cycling. I can still do similar distances, climbs etc., but slower and with more effort involved – my legs lack power, which would fit with lack of oxygen intake I guess. For the first time in ages almost walked a hill. The last episode gradually cleared, but it seems to going on a bit longer this time. I am in the “pensioner” category, but generally ok fitness. Any thoughts, apart from buy and electric bike? 🙂 Thanks

tjagain

Do you cough a lot? Could be exercise induced asthma. Did you get a ventolin / salbutomol inhaler ( blue) try it before you go out and ride.

uphilla
    Free Member

No, not really coughing a lot, have tried the blue inhaler. Can’t sense any effect.

tjagain

not that then

Have you had an exercise ECG ( heart recording) any pain?

MrPottatoHead

Watching with interest. Nowhere near the same extent but similar symptoms which I’m currently putting down to lack of fitness.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Define breathlessness. Asthma isn’t breathlessness…its a restriction, or feeling of restriction where you feel like you’re breathing through a straw and have to suck your breath in and a heaviness of the chest. Breathlessness to me is where you have no problem with the mechanics of breathing…you’re breathing freely and air is flowing in without any restriction, but you’re feeling like you’re just not getting on top of your breathing. That could also be an issue with your heart also – my dad had something like this and ended up needing a pacemaker.

I’ve had asthma symptoms – i.e. a feeling of a restriction of breathing…the doctor did their usual trick and threw some Salbutamol at me which eased the symptoms, and as a result put it down to Asthma with no further attempt to actually diagnose the cause of the issue. Turned out the symptoms were temporary and only lasted about 12 – 18 months and I suspect was an allergy to something. Antihistamines did ease the symptoms too. I still get the symptoms but in a much more mild form from cats as i’m a bit allergic to cats…so maybe try some antihistamines and see if that eases your symptoms. You could have developed an allergic reaction to something.

Keva
    Free Member

what sort of riding are you doing and how much of it? Are you tired and stressed or sleeping well recovering well but still unable to ride comfortably? What is your diet like? There are so many variables…

jackthedog
    Free Member

Watching with interest.

I asked the same here a few years ago and got nowhere. GP let me test an inhaler but it made no difference. It’s not gone anywhere despite my fitness improving.

I think mine is better described as a throat issue. Peak flow meter reads off the scale under nomral cirumstances, but it feels like I lose muscle condition in my throat when I push hard and I can’t get enough air in. I end up doing a very loud wheezing, and my voice goes entirely for a while afterwards. Legs feel like they could go on if they weren’t starved of oxygen.

I’m mid 30s, no pro athlete but no slouch despite half a stone of chub that could go easy enough.

uphilla
    Free Member

Had an ECG early on to rule out heart – also blood tests. Someone else suggested allergy this week. It is like being unfit, I guess, so even walking up a slight slope I feel the impact. Sometimes after a climb on the bike I am struggling for breath and have to give myself a moment to recover. On the flat, cycling is fine at a steady pace.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If it’s similar to asthma there is no way you could continue to do any exercise while you’re suffering the symptoms. No way on earth. You’d have to stop and take in some Salbutomol. With breathlessness you can exercise through the symptoms, albeit at a lower level, and you’ll either recover and feel better as you exercise or continue to struggle.

In my dads case he had a condition where his heart was not responding to increased level of activity so the pacemaker was needed. Apparently not an uncommon issue and not something that will kill him or anything like that and plenty of marathon runners and endurance athletes who have the same condition carry on competing with the pacemaker with no issues. It took a while for them to diagnose it…I think an ECG might not be effective as there is nothing specifically wrong with the heart, its the way it responses (or doesn’t) to an increased activity level and demand on the system.

martinhutch

If it’s similar to asthma there is no way you could continue to do any exercise while you’re suffering the symptoms.

Not entirely true. Full-blown asthma attack, obviously not, but occasional mild restriction, yes.

My asthma is pretty severe, but when managed appropriately, probably leaves me at slightly better than the OP most of the time. There’s a background wheeze and congestion which means that on some days I’ll have to back off the effort on climbs and take longer to recover from them.

As with a lot of conditions, there is a spectrum which runs from barely-noticeable but annoying to calling for an ambulance.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had very similar symptoms since heart went into AF, but you say you’ve had ECG and stuff, so can’t be that.

tjagain

I have occasional exercise induced asthma – I can ride thru it.

iainc

I think an ECG might not be effective as there is nothing specifically wrong with the heart, its the way it responses (or doesn’t) to an increased activity level and demand on the system.

a very valid point. I had a few ECG’s and they were normal, but angiogram showed up some blockages (early heart disease) , which meds should stop/slow down progression.

Caher

Of late I’ve had it when swimming. Have swam all my life but I’ve had a few months off.
    I can only think it’s timing and trying to keep to my old pace.
    My bike fitness is not too bad but could be better.
    I’ll probably have an MOT when next I see the doctor.

epicyclo

I had a DVT after a long flight which produced similar symptoms.

But I wasn’t smart enough to see a doc about it until I went in in an ambulance.

Basically as follows:

A few months overseas off the bike.

Long flight from Oz.

First week back struggling to get up hills, put it down to unfitness due to lack of exercise.

Started a pushing myself hard with no improvement.

On 3rd or 4th week did the Bealach na Bah sportive on a single speed, struggled somewhat but just managed my predicted time.

About 2 weeks later into hospital. Heparin is magic and the NHS is brilliant. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Had an ECG early on to rule out heart – also blood tests. Someone else 

Was it the one where they take a reading while you’re in the clinic or was the one that you wear for 24 hrs/7 days?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Obviously lots of cases are different. I had a long lay off from biking in 2017 & went out on the bike in early 2018, so far round I thought, ‘christ I’m unfit’, could take big breaths ok but they weren’t having any effect. Told the Mrs & she said to try her blue inhaler next time. Used the inhaler next day & was fine. (still unfit but could feel the effect of taking big breaths)
    Went to the docs who put me on brown & blue inhalers, which when used as they should, work a treat.
    Still feel breathless if I don’t use them before excercise though, but not as bad as I was.
    He said it was probably excercise induced asthma.

four
    Free Member

Check with GP if your bloods included a D-dimer test.

If it didn’t then request one – if elevated it can be an indicator for a PE.

Please get this checked ASAP just to rule it out.

bonni

uphilla – Like DezB, I was going to suggest Atrial Fibrillation or some other irregular heart beat. These are not easy to detect if episodic, like paroxysmal AF. Maybe get a 24 hour or longer trial of a portable device and go for a ride?

Good luck with it.

speedstar

Your heart and lung capacity plus your muscular endurance naturally decline as you age. I think given you say you’re a pensioner that getting tested for various cardiovascular and respiratory things is essential. The other thing people don’t often realise is you need more time in rest to recuperate as you age so it’s important if you’re going out hard to really take it easy for even a couple of days afterwards. There are so many aspects to tiring earlier but it’s important to know you are managing your body well first of all before looking for pathological causes.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

We should start a knackered old farts club on here.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Did you ever remove any asbestos roofing 30 years ago…

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks you all for the replies. Currently on combo of brown inhaler and tablets, if they make no difference it will be back to the Doc.
    @monketcmonketdo – definitely up for knackered old farts! @muddyjames – no asbestos roof, but did used to blow the dust out of brake drums years ago, as many did not doubt, before asbestos was seen as dangerous.
    A friend has just bought an electric road bike and said how it has revitalised his cycling and he feels fitter too, so another option to explore – will keep cycling one way or another, but was a very distant back marker on a group ride this week, which was no fun for anyone.

DT78
    Free Member

any pain / problems with your hip flexors?

cheers_drive

As others have said it could be AF. I had days worth of ECGs that caught nothing but I knew it didn’t feel right and my heart rate reading on Garmin was over 200. In the end I had a implanted measuring device fitted and it caught it after 3 months of nothing. I’m now 18 months AF free since ablation.

uphilla
    Free Member

@DT78 – no problem with hips. Certainly going to ask for more tests

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Breathlessness’ is closed to new replies.