Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Breath Tests for Skiers
  • Woody
    Free Member

Apparently 9 out of 10 are demanding this amongst other things according to a survey by More Than.

Wouldn’t mind seeing the questions they were asked but is it really that much of a problem?

LINKY

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ask a loaded question and you’ll get the answer you seek.

samuri
    Free Member

including police patrols armed with speed guns and breathalysers,

Bring
    it
    on

Actually, has anyone watched that American ski patrol program on one of the cable channels? They actually do have ski cops there who do precisely this, chase down speeders and the like and take their ski passes off them. It’s hugely annoying.

Woody
    Free Member

Genuinely interested as I haven’t been skiing abroad for a couple of years and can’t say I noticed a problem before.

Edukator
    Free Member

Not much of a problem IME.

If you look at case law in the countries with ski areas you’ll find that the rules/laws they’re asking for already exist. Cause an accident on a piste and you can expect similar treatment to if you cause an accident on the road.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed. Not a major problem as yet. From what I gather though, it is a growing problem in the resorts favoured by the Russian market.

Most people I know or see on the slopes have a nice beer or a glass of wine over lunch, but never ski when pissed. OK, so there’s the inevitable day when you get snowed in to your favourite mountain bar and have a feww too many, but then you just bimble slowly down the easy run home!

On the speed issue, it’s not the speed that’s the problem, more the lack of control.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s a speed limit on ski resorts? Seems a bit daft except in start-stop areas.

Edukator
    Free Member

A German minister skiing in Austria didn’t give way at a piste junction, collided with another tourist who died while putting himself in hospital in a coma. He lost the court case and had to pay about 38 000e. Similar to if someone didn’t give way at a roundabout in a car and killed a cyclist.

nickf
    Free Member

I really can’t see it as a major problem. Poor skiing generally is far more of an issue (stopping in the middle of the piste, sudden movements left/right when there could be someone to your side, overtaking at high speed on narrow sections) than drink-skiing, though I suppose drinking would only make it worse.

I’ve been skiing for 25 years now (France, Spain, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Canada) and have never seen an accident caused by drinking.

poly
    Free Member

If you want to stop people skiing whilst drunk stop selling booze in the mountain cafe’s.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nothing about out of control boarders???

What edge angle is best for this? And how long would it last?

mossimus
    Free Member

OK, so there’s the inevitable day when you get snowed in to your favourite mountain bar and have a feww too many, but then you just bimble slowly down the easy run home!

Did this a couple of years ago in Les deux Alpes – Dislocated my shoulder 🙁

ocrider

There’s a speed limit on ski resorts? Seems a bit daft except in start-stop areas.

Got my season pass clipped in Canada (2 strikes, yer oot) for speeding in an empty area and this was in the mid 90’s.

Anyway these 9 out of 10 Britons, what relationship would they have with an insurance company that obviously would love to see some serious weight in their favour in the event of any litigation and what were the questions asked?[/cynical]

I’ve been skiing for 25 years now (France, Spain, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Canada) and have never seen an accident caused by drinking.

I have, but it involved a crash mat and a pylon, no skis. Most drunk accidents in ski resorts happen after the lifts close, but I’m sure that there are a few exceptions.

nealglover
    Free Member

Poor skiing in general is far more of a problem than drinking or speed alone in my opinion.

Poor skiing generally is far more of an issue (stopping in the middle of the piste, sudden movements left/right when there could be someone to your side, overtaking at high speed on narrow sections)

Overtaking at high speed on narrow sections is a perfect example generally “poor skiing”

Although I’m not sure that’s what you were meaning 😕

GrahamS

What a load of cobblers. I’d love to see the wording of the “survey” that produced “more than nine in ten Britons want the rules of the road applied to ski resorts”!

As above, poor skiing/boarding is much more of an issue than “drink-skiing” or “speeding”.

Most people I know or see on the slopes have a nice beer or a glass of wine over lunch, but never ski when pissed

It’s pretty common in Austria to spend an afternoon in one of the party ski huttes before riding back to the village. But then it is also pretty common to see people still partying in full ski gear at 3am 😀

nickf
    Free Member

Neal, I’m not sure how I could have been clearer that the items I listed were prime examples of poor skiing. Getting pissed and doing any of these would probably make things worse, but the drinking in and of itself is not, IMO, a major issue.

I’ve never seen a truly pissed person at a mountain bar (other than me at St Anton at 5pm, dancing on a table, then doing the last run to the village at closing time), certainly not at lunchtime. That said, I bet there are any number of over-the-limit skiiers first thing in the morning…..

nealglover
    Free Member

Nickf, what I was meaning, was that the person who is overtaking at high speed on a narrow section would be at fault.
    Not the person who makes a turn left or right and gets hit from behind.

It happens all the time, and the poor skier is the one overtaking, not the one in front.

bazzer
    Free Member

Is it not a reaction to a perceived problem rather than a real one.

A bit like speeding skiers, I have done a lot of skiing and have rarely seen quick skiers who tend to keep to the edge of a narrow piste take someone out. I see less able skiers intimidated by it but that’s a different issue.

I have been taken out a couple of times by people as have my friends. Never has it been by someone smelling or showing the signs of drinking. Just generally by someone who was crap on skis or a board. So Best thing would be to ban learners from the slopes 🙂

ocrider

Is it not a reaction to a perceived problem rather than a real one.

You mean that it is a reaction to a perceived problem, right?

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve been Googling for a report I read which stated more skiers/boarders die drivng to the resort than in the mountains. It’s going back a bit so perhaps not surprising I can’t find it on the Net. One thing I found whilst browsing:

Depuis 1992, le risque
    d’avoir un accident sur piste est stable : moins
    de 3 accidents pour 1 000 journées de pratique

Most fatalities off-piste are due to avalanche – though verglas has resulted in a series of accidents in the last week in SW France.

bazzer
    Free Member

You mean that it is a reaction to a perceived problem, right?

Yes I meant its not a real problem, just a perceived one.

Should proof read before I post 🙂

GrahamS

Noticed the guy commenting: “I got hit three times in Flaine in one holiday and each one wasn’t my fault”

I can’t remember the last time someone hit me on my board (other than one of my mates).

If I got hit 3 times in one holiday I think I’d be wondering if I was maybe doing something wrong (e.g. stopping in odd places, not being aware of uphill traffic).

nickf
    Free Member

Nickf, what I was meaning, was that the person who is overtaking at high speed on a narrow section would be at fault.
    Not the person who makes a turn left or right and gets hit from behind.

It happens all the time, and the poor skier is the one overtaking, not the one in front.

Oh, I see.

You’re right, though I’d say that there are as many culpable inexperienced skiiers as there are speedhounds. As a personal example, I was overtaking someone last year, and was going past (safely, under control, no dramas, had shouted an ‘On yer left’…all the things you should do). As I drew level, the skiier lurched leftwards and took me out.

Fair to say that both she and I were a bit smacked about. She apologised, took the blame for it, and said she just fanced stopping so she pulled over. Not sure what more I could have done, and just have to chalk it down to bad luck. Still poor behaviour not to have a quick look when you’re pulling over to stop though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never seen a pissed skier ? I am certain you have and just didn’t realise it.

I generally have one or two “big” late lunches for trip, these days I make sure I plan a venue so I can take the lift down or the bus home.

A guy died a few years ago skiing home form the Crazy Kangeroo in St Anton, he hit a building.

Edukator
    Free Member

It was stil your fault, nickf, and she shouldn’t have apologised. As for shouting “on your left”, what are the odds of the person understanding you except in the Cairngorms? Even if they speak the same language they may well be deafened with a helmet and earphones given the latest barmy trend to hit my local resort – skiing deaf. You give way to people below you, simple as.

GrahamS

My (skier) mate carries a hip flask full of brandy at all times, to be used as a pep up after a fall. Certainly seems to keep his kids spritely 😀

nickf
    Free Member

A guy died a few years ago skiing home form the Crazy Kangeroo in St Anton, he hit a building.

Given the sheer number of pissed skiiers tumbling out of there well after the pistes are shut, the fact that there’s only been one death is, I suppose, surprising.

But I maintain my original view – in general, people don’t get pissed on the slopes. Those that do don’t cause accidents, so far as my own experience goes. And I’ve never encountered an obviously drunk skiier/boarder, St Anton apres-ski excepted.

Woody
    Free Member

nickf

I know what you mean there and it has happened to me too, however……… it is ultimately always the uphill skiers responsibility to ensure a safe overtake.

Edit: As Edukator has already said as I was typing 😳

nickf
    Free Member

It was stil your fault, nickf, and she shouldn’t have apologised. As for shouting “on your left”, what are the odds of the person understanding you except in the Cairngorms? Even if they speak the same language they may well be deafened with a helmet and earphones given the latest barmy trend to hit my local resort – skiing deaf. You give way to people below you, simple as.

(1) I did give way. I was level – she just didn’t expect me to be there, and turned left. What was I suposed to do, tap her on the shoulder on the off-chance she was going to do something stupid?

(2) I was in France, and shouted in French. I’m not entirely stupide.

Woody
    Free Member

I was in France, and shouted in French. I’m not entirely stupide.

😀

Edukator
    Free Member

You were overtaking, your duty to avoid her, nickf. Inexcusable.

So what were the odds of her being French? Or understanding your attempt at speaking it if she were? Or hearing you at all? Shouting instructions is pointless and demonstrates that you knew you were taking a risk. A bit like people that blow their horn before overtaking cyclists on a narrow road with on-coming traffic.

crispo
    Free Member

To me it seems a bit crazy that it could be outlawed to ski fast or ski after having a beer or two.

There is no skiing test you have to pass to allow you to ski anyway so to penalise a potnetially good skier for either of those things, which could still mean they are skiing at a much more controlled level than other skiers seems daft to me.

Its like allowing people to drive on the road without passing their driving test and to try and reduce accidents starting to inflict serve penalties on someone who drives at 80mph on a quiet motorway.

Rod

They have safety patrollers (or whatever you want to call them) on the crowded lower runs at Whistler at the end of the day where there is a lot of traffic and bottlenecks (not on any of the runs that you would be using most of the days). Whatever the cause of the dangerous skiing, I think that’s a good idea.

Skiing beyond ability levels is the biggest problem (unfortunately, a lot of the guilty parties seem to be British!). Skiing too fast or pissed in crowded areas also increases the risk of serious accident (bimbling down slowly and carefully if you’ve had a few pints is the only way to do it…)

GrahamS

You were overtaking, your duty to avoid her, nickf. Inexcusable.

Sounds like he made a reasonable attempt to overtake safely to me.

Or are you suggesting that you should never overtake slower riders on narrow paths, just on the off chance that the randomly decide to pull over and stop without looking?

Woody
    Free Member

I think you have to be like that GrahamS.

If you are a reasonably capable skier/boarder it’s not too difficult to give someone a wide berth or slip past when they have definitely gone in the other direction. If you can’t do that safely at the time, you should just wait and take in the scenery, which is normally quite nice!

crispo
    Free Member

Unless youre totally confident you can get past them then no you probably shouldnt.

Saying that I scoot past people all the time so am probable being fairly hypocritical! 😈

GrahamS

it’s not too difficult to give someone a wide berth or slip past

But from nickf’s description that is exactly what he tried to do, but he got caught out by the skier in front making an unexpected move without looking behind her.

I reckon there is a parallel with driving. In theory if someone drives into the back of you then it is always their fault, but I still check my mirrors before randomly slamming on the brakes. 🙂

you should just wait and take in the scenery, which is normally quite nice!

Thing is though, if you are on one of those flat narrow connecting paths on a board then slowing right down, waiting and taking in the scenery often means you’ll be forced to unclip and do the looooooong hike o’ shame till the path gets suitably steeper again.

bazzer
    Free Member

Thing is though, if you are on one of those flat narrow connecting paths on a board then slowing right down, waiting and taking in the scenery often means you’ll be forced to unclip and do the looooooong hike o’ shame till the path gets suitably steeper again.

they really should design something that does not require you to do that. Oh hang on wait a minute they have skis 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

All skiers should have number plates, insurance, tax, helmet, lights and High vis, just like cyclists.

It is interesting reading this some of the parallels you get on the cyclists on the road debate.

Passing too close, who’s actually to blame etc. etc.

GrahamS

they really should design something that does not require you to do that.

Nothing wrong with the design – it’s other people going to slowly and getting in the way that’s the issue 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Breath Tests for Skiers’ is closed to new replies.