Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Breaking news! Sagan joins Tinkoff-Saxo
  • slackalice
    Free Member

According to the BBC Sports breaking news feed.

Sagan switches to Tinkoff-Saxo team
    Cycling
    Posted at 10:24
    Denmark-based team Tinkoff-Saxo sign Slovakian sprinter Peter Sagan on a three-year contract from Cannondale.
    Sagan, 24, has won the Tour de France green jersey for the points classification winner three times, and will join twice Tour winner Alberto Contador at the team owned by Russian entrepreneur Oleg Tinkov.

weeksy

Seems quite a strange decision from him ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, signing a belting sprinter alongside a GC contender worked superbly for Team Sky…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hmmmm… Can’t help but feel this is a bit Cav-to-Sky.

grantyboy
    Free Member

could they contest all three jerseys next TdF or too big an ask for one team?

grantyboy
    Free Member

Sagan won the Green without a stage win this year IIRC

nemesis
    Free Member

Sagan isn’t a sprinter. He’s a fantastic all rounder.

Anyway this is more about Oleg Tinkoff throwing his cash about to build a super team, isn’t it?

Man with lots of cash (and possibly questionable position over doping in general unfortunately – let’s say ambivalent at best) who loves cycling (because that’s unquestionable) buys new toys, basically.

njee20
    Free Member

Correct, and his lead out was pretty rubbish, but then he’s not an all out sprinter anyway.

Agree it seems a little odd, agree with the ‘Cav to Sky’ comparisons – he could just be left to flounder.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Sagan isn’t a sprinter. He’s a fantastic all rounder.

But still one who needs his team to work for him at times when a GC team would normally be tucked in having a quiet day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree he’s a fantastic all rounder, but I wouldn’t say he’s not a sprinter.

lunge

Odd move that. I suspect, contrary to what Oleg is saying, he was planning on going to Alonso’s team but with no news coming from that he signed at Tinkoff. Unless they’ve signed him to win some classics and drop the green jersey chasing.

nemesis
    Free Member

He can sprint. He’s not a sprinter.

weeksy

But as stated, at times he needs a team to support him, lead him out, give him assistance. If they’re too busy sorting Contador out or resting up after working too hard for 4-5 days in the mountains, then Sagan is on his own so to speak ?

Solo
    Free Member

I wonder why this agreement has been made. Is it for Sagan to bring the green jersey to TS ? Or because TS think they can develop Sagan, help him to improve ?

While, obviously, he’ll be paid for his services, I hope someone works with Sagan to get the best out of him. I think theres more to come from Sagan, besides podium hijinx.

nemesis
    Free Member

I genuinely think it’s because Oleg can’t resist signing good riders – kid in a sweet shop syndrome…

See his joke on Twitter a while back to Vaughers about signing Talansky

Marge
    Free Member

he seems to be a good cnntender for the spring classics no?
    RvV / Paris Roubaix / MSR etc

very good in that environment generally & you know he can floor anyone in a sprint that is still in touch at the end of those races.

Tinkoff Saxo were nowhere during the spring

mrblobby
    Free Member

Didn’t Oleg tweet only yesterday that he’d failed to sign him and assumed he was off to Alonso’s team?!

Good move for Sagan though for the spring classics. Got a strong team there to support him. As for the GT’s, he can pretty much with the green jersey single handed so doubt he’s too bothered about the focus being on Contador.

nemesis
    Free Member

Oleg will probably buy some support from another team on the odd stage that Sagan really needs it (and arguably he doesn’t really given the margin he keeps winning the Green Jersey with).

mrhoppy

Spring classics & green jersey seem sensible enough reasons. There are teams like OPQS, Giant Shimano and Lotto Bellisol happy to do the chasing on the flat stages of the GTs chasing stage wins, Cannondale didn’t do that much this year. On the more intermediate stages TST will be interested enough and he just has to follow the boss and clean up the sprint.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think Sagan prefers not to have a lead out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Marge – Member
    he seems to be a good cnntender for the spring classics no?
    RvV / Paris Roubaix / MSR etc

This, perfect for one day classics and week long Paris-Nice type stuff..

Perfect fit IMO.

bigrich

he uses bar ends.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A little piece of me dies every time a rider I like signs to Saxo Tinkoff.

[edit]

Same goes for Astana too.

mudshark
    Free Member

Last year there were rumours he’d join Alonso, in recent months it was Tinkoff-Saxo, so think Oleg was just having some fun with that.

Cannondale were working very hard at times for Sagan to chase down breaks which Tinkoff-Saxo won’t do, assumption is he doesn’t need to win stages to win the points jersey but he does want stage wins so maybe he accepts he’ll just have to fight for those as best he can – often does that on the hillier stages.

higthepig
    Free Member

It is a few days old the news, must be a slow day for BBC Sport, the following has a good list of changes:
    Cycling Fever

Will be interesting to see how a change to a new team pads out, hopefully they will look after him in the classics, he appears to be one of the few entertainers in the peleton.

Haze

What Marge and Bikebouy said, he’s a strong rider who never seems to have a Cannondale rider in support at the sharp end of the classics.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Maybe there was just nowhere else to go*, Cannondale’s effectively folding at the end of the year aren’t they?

edlong
    Free Member

Certainly on this year’s TdF Sagan was a bit of a lone wolf – didn’t seem to get any particular support from the team when it counted. If he’s happy riding for a team knowing that the domestiques will be focussed on a GC contender then fair play to him, he may be able to contribute to the team effort with maverick breakaways to upset rival teams?

mudshark
    Free Member

I wonder how his salary compares to Bertie’s – they must be amongst the highest paid pros.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A little piece of me dies every time a rider I like signs to Saxo Tinkoff.

This too 😕

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Breaking news! Sagan joins Tinkoff-Saxo’ is closed to new replies.