• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by diz.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Breakfast iin Edinburgh
  • Marin
    Free Member

Recommendations please for city centre. Greasy spoon or arty farty. Will have been on lash all night so good coffee and fried food or top pastries is a must.

xora

Glasgow 😀

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Balmoral is very good but not exactly cost effective…

https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/the-balmoral-hotel/restaurants-and-bars/brasserie-prince/menus/

Social bite is open from 7. Other end of scale to balmoral but nice food and you are helping the homeless.

plus-one

Mimi’s bakehouse. They have one in leith(worth the trip on 22 bus) sure they still have one on high street too 🙂

They do French toast on chunky home baked bread with lovely sausages and cherry tomatoes.

tourismo

Dishoom is very good if you fancy something a bit different.

DougD

Was just about to post Dishoom. Not been but heard good things about the breakfast.

Not city centre but Roseleaf down at the shore knocks up a decent breakfast and an excellent bloody mary.

If it’s a cheap greasy spoon you’re after, then Snax is in the city centre too. Don’t know about the coffee, irn bru seems to the the drink of choice to accompany the fry up there.

honeybadgerx

Loudon’s is good, though pricey. Just make sure you get there early enough so all the student’s haven’t clogged it up.

EDIT: Castillo coffee also good.

Also, pretty much anywhere in Bruntsfield.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

+1 for Snax (on Buccleuch St., havnt been to the city centre one) always has white vans outside and its justified. Top notch greasy spoon. Also recommend the City Cafe.
    More highbrow: Loudons, Edinburgh Larder, Treehouse Cafe, Papii, Boss Bagels.

Outside runner: Meltmongers (not sure if they do breakfast but awesome cheese toasties!!)

jamiep
    Free Member

was going to post a leftfield: Dishoom

wombat

Was going to suggest Dishoom but I appear to be a little late to the party 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Snax at the east end of the Meadows is great for greasy spoon stuff.

Loudons is average I think and people always queue outside so you’ll be disappointed if you just turn up.

For posh stuff, 27 Elliot’s is meant to be excellent, also by the Meadows. Honeycomb is my favourite but it’s in Bruntsfield which isn’t really the city centre.

kennyp
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Dishoom too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spoons eggs Balmoral. Canny beat it, cheap as **** as well.

theboatman
    Free Member

Another vote for Snax, been doing some work with the Uni up there and I never fail to visit when I go, top spoon.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh – avoid Quick and Plenty on Leven Street, unless you’re into burnt lorne sausage cooked in a frying pan that’s never been washed by a bunch of heroin addicts that aren’t into hygene.

ChrisHeath

We usually go to either City Cafe (fry ups, pancakes, waffles, etc.) or the Pantry (posher fry ups, things with avocado). Not been to either for a while though.

sillyoldman

Cowan and Sons looks awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/cowanandsons/

Also – pretty sure it’s run by Noel Cowan – 80s BMX rider from Nairn. He always ran beautifully finished bikes.

snaps
    Free Member

We recently had breakfast in the Black rose tavern in Rose St – very good & All bar one in George st – very good but not as big a portion.

redmex
    Free Member

Quick and plenty will love that review about their hygiene, I once mentioned something about the gypsy folk on here nothing really bad but it was yanked off as the ink was still wet

poolman
    Free Member

Biggest breakfast snob here, loudons is average. Di giorgio towards stockbridge is restaurant quality at c nice cafe prices. Eggs benedict is the best.

Central…kilimanjaro on nicholson st opp uni is v good, bit hipsterish but they all are now. Word of mouth off Leith walk v good too.

Water of Leith cafe is v good too, just opp do giorgio but I would do the latter first.

Thnks all, got these off here.

13thfloormonk

The stock answer last time this was asked was Di Giorgio’s, still the best french toast I’ve ever had and my wife loved their eggs benny. Coffee was always good, prices reasonable etc.

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks, is the French toast best with bacon or just on its own. I will be going for new year. Coffees there have 2 shots, I had 2 so 4 shots…caffeine rush for 2 hours after

13thfloormonk

It comes with bacon and maple syrup, even the bacon was the best I’ve had, cripy and salty instead of the standard pink and flacid that I’m used to elsewhere.

You can have it with banana instead, in fact once the owner got to know us he started insisting that I have a side of banana to compliment the bacon, he takes his breakfasts seriously!

Edit: to answer your question properly, yes the French toast on its own was better than anywhere else, thick but still moist and with a hint of cinnamon.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok that’s brilliant thanks, much appreciated. Is the waitress from valencia spain still there, I live near where she is from. Love di giorgio, had the full fat fry up last year, gosh I was full

gallowayboy

Hideout cafe in Leith – can’t vouch for the fry ups (their hot sandwiches get a good rep), but pastries and coffee are bloody good.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Where are you staying? You’ll probably want somewhere in the immediate vicinity if you have a heavy one

diz

We went to both the Word of Mouth and the Bluebear for breakfast and coffee last weekend when we where in Edinburgh. Can highly recommend them both.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast iin Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.