Breakfast

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Breakfast
  • aphex_2k

What do you guys eat for breakfast, and when?

Wife goes to work early so I have to get my 2 kids (both under 8) up, fed, dressed off to school and kindy etc. I don’t usually have the time to eat so usually eat when I get to work. Few weetabix, maybe a yoghurt with piece of fruit. I loooooove toast and butter but I’m T1 diabetic and most breads spike my levels. I just find whatever I eat, I’m hungry in an hour or two. I’ve tried snacking on nuts, biltong, scratchings, it’s just I’m always feeling like I need to eat. Weight wise, I’m 82kg and have been that for as long as I can remmeber being bothered about weighing myself. Annoys my colleagues that my appetite belies my belly!

Just wondering what you upwardly mobile ladies and gents eat and what’s you’re go-to snack when you’re peckish?

corroded

Always a big bowl of homemade muesli (oats, nuts, seeds, some sort of dried fruit – sour cherries ftw) with fresh fruit and plain yogurt or skyr if I can get it. Anything else and I’m empty by mid-morning. Weekends and I might treat myself to a poached egg or two, or toast and marmalade. I have had some really amazing breakfasts when travelling but for a 20-minute window muesli is best for me.

longmover

I have a Huel for breakfast, I have no cooking facilities at work and live on a site camp so options are limited to my baggage allowance.

Our canteen on site is so bad that you have to do a risk assessment before each meal!

5plusn8

Greek yogurt and fruit is really good. Or some kind of eggs with avocado is also amazing.

cranberry

Baguette at work, for those days when I’m in the office – fresh-baked bread, with ham / mature cheese / brie, and I get to eat it in work time. All for the princely sum of €0.94.

It is not worth making breakfast for myself at that price.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I have breakfast at work as not really hungry first thing in the morning, usually have marmalade or PB&J on toast (the PB&J option keeps me feeling full until 3-4pm and I have it at 7:30am). Tried marmalade & PB once but it wasn’t great :p

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m just waiting for the cafe in work, bacon, sausage, bread.. Cn’t wait…. 8 minutes

myti

Wholegrain, seeded toast with organic butter, marmite, pb or cottage cheese. I try to avoid sugary spreads, pb and the cheese keep me full longest. One is high in fat and one protein. Does rye /proper wholemeal or sourdough still spike your blood sugar? I avoid shop white bread as on occasion when i have it I’m hungry an hour later.

jaketurbo

I have a Huel for breakfast

Starvation is a better option.

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

1 bowl – weetabix in bottom, covered by mountain of frosties, plenty of milk.

Sometimes have 2 weetabix and less frosties for variation

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Large bowl of corn and bran flakes, with added dried fruit, glass of OJ, 12 mile bike commute, coffee and Tesco raisin munch bar.

longmover

I have a Huel for breakfast

Starvation is a better option.

The Huel is better than the food here.

Porridge oats sprinkled with raisins/sultanas and plenty of cold 1% fat milk, plus a mug of coffee, as soon as I crawl out of bed… Which unlike this morning’s very late lie-in is typically ~0530.

On a work day, I’ll grab a meal deal mid morning, typically something like chicken salad sandwich; banana; smoothie; plus a 2l bottle of diet coke.

Usually snack on peanut butter open sandwiches; salted peanuts with mixed fruit mid afternoon.

Ro5ey

Porridge keeps me going til lunch not a chance with cereal, toast etc.

But be aware not all porridge is created equal in my eyes…. Scotts porridge oats and Tesco basics do the job and keep me satisfied … “fancy pants organic rolled jumbo oats” (that the wife buys because porridge is “boring”) are rubbish and I’m Hank Marvin by 10:30.

Good luck

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Banana and a coffee while simultaneously running around after the kids. Walk the kids to school, walk the dog and then a bowl of Weetabix when I get home. Lasts me until about 1pm, unless I’m not busy, then I’ll be eating rubbish and drinking gallons of coffee until lunch.

Get up earlier, or do more prep the night before.

ready

Within 15 mins of getting up. Porridge Oats on the bottom, a small layer of sugar puffs, topped with one of those nut crunch type cereals. Cold milk, and a small amount of squirty cream. Almost every day for the last 20 years…

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Same breakfast I’ve ate for as long as i can remember : two eggs scrambled with double cream, cooked in kerrygold butter/fresh chilli with coriander and mushrooms, bit of cheese at the end and spring onions, whatever variety of sourdough bread toasted from The Earths Crust Bakery in Castle Douglas, followed by a cappuccino……..then the day can start.

toby1

I eat 2 eggs, scrambled on sourdough most mornings. If it’s a Saturday I might change it up and have peanut butter on sourdough. Life is too short for bad bread.

I don’t have kids to run round after though, if I did, they’d either eat what I eat and like it, or fend for themselves. I’m not that nice, so I don’t have kids to be not nice to!

Edit, if you have a glass of water before and after your meal it might help, people often are thirsty, but mistake it for hunger. As a type 1, you might just plough through your food more effectively than others though.

PrinceJohn

Breakfast smoothie for the win – 50g oats, tablespoon of chia seeds, 1 banana, some Frozen pineapple, frozen raspberries, almond milk & orange juice.

Drink when at work. Keeps me going until mid-afternoon if required.

jolmes

Same breakfast every day for years now.
    Night before, 40g tesco scots oats, lactose free milk and a dash of honey, leave over night in the fridge. I’m up early with dog (6am) and getting little lad up for childminder run so opt to have breakfast at work around 9am, keeps me going to lunch. Sometimes i’ll throw my banana in there or make a double portion if I’ve had a busy weekend and know i’ll be hungry etc.
    Porridge wins, if i don’t have it, I’m eating every hour.

avdave2

I post this every time the subject comes up but don’t think I’ve convinced anyone yet but I’ll keep trying!

Oats – 100g
    Spinach – 60g
    Kale – 30g
    Ginger – 10g
    Coffee – 3g
    Cacoa Powder – 5g
    Sunflower Seeds – 12g
    Pumpkin Seeds – 6g
    Hemp Seeds – 6g
    Lindseed – 6g
    Sesame Seeds – 6g
    Chia Seeds – 7g
    Wheat Bran – 10g
    Raisins – 25g
    Water 400ml

All thrown into a nutribullet type blender. I’m yet to convince anyone else to try it so you’ll just have to take my word for it being fantastic. Make up 10 at a time and freeze them. Best served cold.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Best served cold.

So you can’t taste it?

😉

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Porridge with some fruit and honey. Or occasionally a bacon and sausage sarny.
    Normally taken at work as I cycle or run in most days and prefer to do that on an empty stomach.
    Keep me full until lunch where I almost always want to eat everything I can get my dirty hands on.

Cold gruel, Lovely. 🙂

TheBrick

@avdave2. Do you mix that with water? Milk? Make it to drinking thickness or spooning thickness?

TheBrick

For me poridge. 1 small spoon of brown sugar. Big rolled oats as I find the small stuff too fliury. Personal choice. Quick and cheap.

Weekends is usually cooked breakfast.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

boiled eggs. hard boil them and you can eat at work. Desk fruit.

also, people nowadays end up eating breakfast at 6,7am and wondering why they are hungry at 12, it’s a very long window between meals. The idea that lunchtime is 12 is a relic from a different age.

avdave2

Just water The Brick, 400ml in the mix which gives just over 700ml all mixed up and topped up at the end. It’s pretty thick so I add a bit more water to get the last bits out of the shaker bottle. Tried it about 3 years ago as a bit of an experiment and have had it virtually every day since.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

No set breakfast items – just what’s there mostly. So maybe granola, muesli, toast, yogurt. At least a couple of times a week it’s scrambled eggs on toast though. Always at about 7:15.

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Until 9 months ago it was Golden Virginia and coffee. Now that I’ve given up fags I really need to get into the habit of a healthy breakfast as I seem to be slipping into bad habits. Some good suggestions above…

Premier Icon dienamic
    Subscriber

Bacon and Sausage butty with brown sauce, pint of coffee.

vongassit

Jumbo rolled oats with banana , cinnamon & maple syrup. Looking forward to tomorrow’s already.

aphex_2k

toby1

As a type 1, you might just plough through your food more effectively than others though.

Water might be the thing actually. I do drink a lot through the day, but it’s usually (always) coffee flavoured. My machine supplies me with 2 or 3 before I’ve left the house. Just black, no sugar. How I like my men. (Airplane ref:)

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

This, doesn’t always look this neatly put together though.

And coffee, obvz.

Mid morning i’ll have a flapjack of some sort, not the sweet mass produced blurgh stuff but something liking to 70% grains.

Some days I just go without and just drink coffee.

Rarely do I feel “empty”, it’s normally a sign I’m not drinking enough water..

GolfChick

I vary between four options depending on what I had last but have to eat and at regular times for medication. Either overnight oats with whole banana, 3/4 strawbs and about 25g blueberries. Peanut butter (Pic’s FTW) on wheaty/seedy toast with a whole banana chopped on top, porridge from scratch with oats and milk with cranberries, honey, raisins and either fresh or dried banana or some museli with a banana/blueberries/strawbs/ Tend to find all the options keep me well stocked enough to last me until lunchtime.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Nothing. Breakfast just makes me feel hungry for the rest of the morning.

bsims

Porridge with assorted fruit on a weekday and whatever comes to mind at the time on a weekend.

bigfoot

bacon, black pudding and fried egg butty X2 a few days a week, other days a couple of slices of toast. toast days i need a butty of some kind by 10 to keep me going to dinner time, my work is quite physical so i do need to keep eating.
    couldn’t even think about leaving the house without eating.

Premier Icon cheers_drive
    Subscriber

Overnight oats with some berries or something egg-based keep me filed up for longest.
    I’m terrible for snaking, although that’s usually in the afternoon and eve.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.