Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Breakfast
  • thejesmonddingo

Kippers this morning,yum.

arrpee
    Free Member

Today was scrambled eggs with garlic, chillies, tomatoes, and a handful of chopped corriander.

For a blowout, it’s got to be scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, cream and dill on toasted brioche.

At the risk of coming over all nationalist, I prefer a good example of the full Scottish to the English equivalent. Tattie scone beats the fried bread for me.

I could no more skip breakfast than fly in the air. I usually go to sleep thinking about it.

samuri
    Free Member

Well this morning I broke and went to get a bacon and egg barm…. and they have no eggs!!!! How can you not get any eggs in?

Jamie
    Free Member

4 mins to go…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

One of these…

…topped with one of these…

…and just a splash of this…

…not ‘man sized’ but good for 4h and delicious!

dmorts

I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the worst things for breakfast is breakfast cereal! Never fills me up, full of salt and sugar and there are much nicer alternatives, e.g. toast, porridge, eggs in various forms, bacon, full fry up. Muesli is ok, but takes effing ages to eat. Apparently muesli with milk is wrong, it should be soaked in orange juice or similar overnight… that’s what the Swiss do, who invented it

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the worst things for breakfast is breakfast cereal! Never fills me up, full of salt and sugar and there are much nicer alternatives

That’s a bit of a generalisation, as there are some decent cereals out there.

dmorts

there are some decent cereals out there.

Such as? I did used to be a real breakfast cereal fan

Drac

Kippers this morning,yum.

Craster I hope.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I wish I could poach an egg 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Such as? I did used to be a real breakfast cereal fan

Weetabix, Fruit & Fibre, Bran Flakes etc.

I think they have their place as long as you steer clear of the boxes which are essentially sugar with some free crispy bits.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

An Ulster fry and a pint of tea

Jamie
    Free Member

I wish I could poach an egg

jamiea
    Free Member

Small bowl of granola type stuff before the ride to work during the week. Going to try and make my own, can’t seem to find one that’s just right!

Made a batch of pain aux raisins from one of Paul Hollywood’s books last weekend that were ace, bunged a load in the freezer ready to take out and leave to defrost overnight ready for the morning 8)

Cheers,
    Jamie

dmorts

I’ve previously eaten Weetabix for years, it still has a fair amount of salt and sugar in it.

I used to eat some cereal then toast and jam or marmite. Then about 8 months ago was out of milk so just had the usual toast and noticed that I didn’t miss the cereal so just carried on without it ever since. If I ever had just cereal, I’d get rumblings about 11am that only having lunch would stop.

Also found that by eating a bit more fruit everyday I didn’t miss the fibre benefits of Weetabix

dmorts

Made a batch of pain aux raisins from one of Paul Hollywood’s books last weekend that were ace, bunged a load in the freezer ready to take out and leave to defrost overnight ready for the morning

Was looking at this recipe yesterday, do they freeze ok? Might have to work on my pastry skills though, did it turn out ok on the first attempt? Are you a seasoned pastry chef?

dmorts

Super fresh* eggs = best poached eggs

*hen dropped them that day or day before

jamiea
    Free Member

Was looking at this recipe yesterday, do they freeze ok?

I’ll let you know tomorrow, haven’t tried one yet!

Might have to work on my pastry skills though, did it turn out ok on the first attempt? Are you a seasoned pastry chef?

The first pastries I made were his recipes for our girl’s 1st birthday party- came out really well- though making 70 odd croissants and Danishes takes a fair bit of time! The recipes are really easy to follow. Also made his Savoie bread last weekend- bacon and cheese in a loaf- need I say more!

Cheers,
    Jamie

mogrim

At the risk of coming over all nationalist, I prefer a good example of the full Scottish to the English equivalent. Tattie scone beats the fried bread for me.

An Ulster fry and a pint of tea

Surely if ever there were an argument for the Union, this must be it. Ulster, Scottish, English – we make the greatest breakfasts. (Not sure what the Welsh version is, which could sink my theory I suppose…)

jamiea
    Free Member

Not sure what the Welsh version is,

Doesn’t it involve cockles?!?

Cheers,
    Jamie

trail_rat
    Free Member

mmm thats what i want for breakfast the day i get back -bowl of museli and stornoway black pud , scrambled eggs , bacon on fresh brown home made bread. with non chicory (american rig) coffee.

OM NOM NOM

salivating now. – especially after the fresh salad ill be having after i land 😀 tinned fruit and veg isnt the same 🙁

jamiea
    Free Member

stornoway black pud , scrambled eggs , bacon on fresh brown home made bread.

Black pudding on sodabread toast with plenty of butter is fantastic!

Cheers,
    Jamie

portlyone

PB on toast

FTW

tarquin
    Free Member

I normally have a big bowl of Coco Pops…

Or if I’m late raisin toast or muffin and a coffee in the office.

This week I was working away and there was only a bakery open at 5am, so I had a ham and cheese pie (all pies iin Aus come with mince beef plus filling) and a can of coke…

jamiea
    Free Member

Doesn’t it involve cockles?!?

Why yes it does! Oh and seaweed…

Cheers,
    Jamie

_tom_
    Free Member

Weetabix, Fruit & Fibre, Bran Flakes etc.

I think they have their place as long as you steer clear of the boxes which are essentially sugar with some free crispy bits.

Fruit & fibre and bran flakes still seem to have a fair bit of sugar in them. Shame as theyre quite tasty. The only ones that seem ok for sugar are shredded wheat and plain porridge oats :\ even all bran has quite a bit added I believe.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Surely if ever there were an argument for the Union, this must be it. Ulster, Scottish, English – we make the greatest breakfasts. (Not sure what the Welsh version is, which could sink my theory I suppose…)

I think you could be onto something here. I’ll kick it off with Soda Farls and potato bread (known as fadge in Ulster) from here. Add to this from your region and we will have the ultimate UK cooked breakfast. No beans allowed however.

john_drummer
    Free Member

2 slices of toast with marmalade. And several mugs of tea. Speaking of which, it’s about time for another mug.

Nothing else permitted, I’m trying to lose[/I] weight

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll find it easier to lose weight if you have eggs rather than toast, I reckon.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Possibly but it’s better than a fry up. Quicker too

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

How do you make flax seed porridge ?

I have porridge made with added quinoa flakes, mixed seeds and oat bran – and fresh fruit piled on top. We have fresh warm ‘breakfast’ cake once a week or homemade waffles 😀 – all gluten free. Plus a big mug of fresh coffee.

_tom_
    Free Member

Grind up some flax seed, beat an egg, mix, add some water to help mix and microwave it. I haven’t had it for ages but I remember it being alright sprinkled with cinnamon and some raspberries and cream mixed in.

That being said it was my regular breakfast when I was on a keto diet and I thought it was ok, but since returning to a “normal” diet I reckon standard porridge fills me up as much if not more. And tastes better.

D0NK

mikewsmith whats that on top of your breakfast? eggs benedict? cheese sauce?
    never tried EB but cheese sauce used to feature on (the quite rare) cooked breakfasts at my parents house.

I’d normally reject potato products on a breakfast but that breaky does look pretty damn fine.

oh and porridge with raisins work days (riding days too) for me. Cheap, filling and probably better for me than the cereal, ~pint of milk and loads of sugar I used to have.

Coyote
    Free Member

Heat some olive oil in a pan. Crack in two eggs, pinch of black pepper and a good pinch of chili flakes. Scramble and serve on bagel. Quick, easy and contains chilis. What’s not to like?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Heat some olive oil in a pan. Crack in two eggs, pinch of black pepper and a good pinch of chili flakes. Scramble and serve on bagel. Quick, easy and contains chilis. What’s not to like?

The lack of salt for a start…eggs need salt.

john_drummer
    Free Member

eggs benedict normally comes with a Hollandaise sauce

Pigface
    Free Member

Seaweed = Lavabread thats the Welsh contribution to the breakfast, I love the stuff and would eat it at least twice a week when I was in Swansea. Cant get it in wurzel land 🙁

Where is the white pudding in tht Ulster breakfast or is white pudding an Eire thing?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Pigface white pudding is an Eire thing however given that we said an Ulster Fry we can include it on behalf of Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan 😀

jamiea
    Free Member

Was looking at this recipe yesterday, do they freeze ok?

I’ll let you know tomorrow, haven’t tried one yet![/quote]Just had one from the freezer- not as good as baked fresh- but still very good, still much better than shop bought ones!

Cheers,
    Jmaie

sparksmcguff

A small amount in a big bowl of every cerial in the cupboard.

Love a full english but never want to eat it if I cooked it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast’ is closed to new replies.