Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Breakdown cover
  • Aidy
    Free Member

My car has shed its coolant all over the floor.

My preferred garage have recommended that I take out breakdown cover, wait 24 hours, and then have it “recovered” to them.

Anyone done so? Any particular place to recommend/avoid? I’d prefer it to go on a flat bed, rather than be towed, if that makes a difference.

sadexpunk

id have thought the breakdown companies would have that little scam tied up, by stating that you need to be a member for a week or two before using their services. dont know if its the case tho…..

Aidy
    Free Member

AA/RAC says 24 hours.

But anyway, it’s on the driveway. I don’t mind waiting 24 hours, or even a week.

maccruiskeen

Phone around for a few quotes to get it towed – it might be less than you think – or see if you have any mobile mechincs locally

Unless you pay for the top whack breakdown cover then all they do is tow your car home .,,. but it is home. Recovery from home tends to be only part of premium cover

Aidy
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a “special” car (to me). So I’d like it to go to my garage of choice (~ 50 miles away).

I had a bit of a look around, and quotes for transport come out at ~£150. Which is about the same as AA cover for a year.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There should be deals around and also cheaper providers like auto aid and emergency assist

richardoftod

Rent a car trailer from Indespension and a mate with a tow car/ van? May work out a cheaper option, they quote £60 for a day rental.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m happy to pay the extra £90 to not have to faff about with it myself.

Car trailer would be too heavy for a normal license.

tthew

It’s a bit of a “special” car (to me). So I’d like it to go to my garage of choice (~ 50 miles away).

Not entirely sure, but I reckon they’d only transport to your closest main dealer or local independent. I’d want to be sure of the T’s and C’s before paying out for your scam purposes.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

when i joined (well, upgraded) my AA membership after a breakdown miles from home they took me only so far, and then charged milage on top as it was my first time using them – cost me £500 to get home. since then, every recovery has been free (and there’s been a few!). read the Ts&Cs – you won’t be the first to try it, and I’d be surprised if they’d actually take you to your preferred garage, 50 miles away, for free.

Plus, tbh, this sort of thing is why a membership is, say, £90 and not £50 or whatever. everyone else is paying for this for you.

thepurist

I know someone who’s car started making horrible noises on a drive from Wakefield to Falmouth. He just about nursed it to Falmouth where he’d be staying for a long weekend’s diving, and called the AA/RAC on arrival to join. Two days later he phoned them to say the car was broken and got recovered all the way back to Wakefield – took a blummin age though as it was done as a bit of a relay from one driver to the next.

richardoftod

No worries – I forget as I’m old enough to have a 7.5T entitlement and Trailer permissions. Hope you get it sorted.

Aidy
    Free Member

Sorted. AA didn’t bat an eyelid.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I did exactly that with Green Flag a while back. No problems.

Glad you got it sorted 👍

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Breakdown cover’ is closed to new replies.