Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Breadmaking – First world problems
  • logical
    Free Member

We havent bought any bread for 4 months. All is homemade with this my favourite recipe.

300 ml Buttermilk
    1 egg
    1 Tablespoon of honey
    450 gms strong flour or 300 gms strong + 150 gms self raising [gives slightly different texture]
    1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda.
    1 Teaspoon Salt.
    Make a good liquid mix of the milk egg and honey add to the dry ingredients and short knead on floured surface make a 18″ sausage like “Thing” bake on a baking tray dusted with flour to stop it sticking bake for 40 minutes in a 180 c oven.

If you dont have butter milk, make a substitute [which is what I use] 300ml milk add 2 tablespoons of either Lemon juice/white wine vinegar/cider vinegar to sour it.

Sounds nice Dales_rider but part of the reason behind buying a machine is because our youngest is allergic to egg and dairy 🙁
    Next on the list is a Pasta machine so I can make egg free pasta 🙂

logical
    Free Member

I use ours to make pizza dough loads. Homemade pizza has become a bit of an event in our house

Fajita wraps make really good pizza bases too 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Cut out the egg and use almond milk, I use that as an alternative ever 2 or 3 loaves

phiiiiil

I accidentally forgot to put any salt in my last loaf.

Hmmmm. It’s a good way to make whatever you put in your sandwich EXTREMELY tasty – because while the bread works, it just tastes bland and grey…

Note to self: pay attention next time!

(I forgot to put the water in once. It really spoiled my morning, coming down to a freshly baked, erm, bucket of slightly singed flour. Bah!)

andyl
    Free Member

Panasonic has just finished baking a loaf behind me in the kitchen. Smells great but I have to admit it’s still no where near as good as proper home made. I am very sensitive to smells and tastes and there is a certain taste off breadmaker bread from the machine.

But it’s still better than anything shop bought and the reason we got it is we are too busy to make it properly most of the time and if we run out we have to get in the car and drive 10-15 minutes to buy a crappy loaf.

Keep meaning to try the dough only function when I have more time at weekends. Saves the messy first stage.

Did one the other day with 50:50 wholemeal and white with 1.5 tbsp of rape seed instead of butter which was pretty nice.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Breadmaking – First world problems’ is closed to new replies.