Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bread Makers ,crumbling at day 2
  • mountainman

Hi folks, make my own bread n rolls from the good flour in Aldi n seeds pine nuts .
    Tastes good on day one but by second day it’s crumbly n dry n day three a sausage “buttee” is a disaster .
    More water , flour quality, oven temp ???

Advice please .

leffeboy

more oil/butter?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Proper bread needs fat (in the form of butter or olive oil) to make it last. For 500g of flour you want to add about 30-35g of ‘fat’.

mountainman

I use olive oil , so perhaps more then usually just wizz the bottle round the bowl once or twice .

sharkbait
    Free Member

Its more than you think. If you don’t use digital scales already I’d recommend them as volumes can be fairly critical.

Edit: even then, don’t expect bread (especially rolls) to last as log as the plastic versions.

submarined
    Free Member

Proper bread that’s not full of ‘improvers’and additives doesn’t last unfortunately.
    Fat as mentioned above is one way to do it. Other way is to ‘refresh’ the bread – wrap it in baking parchment and stick it in the oven for 10-15 minutes on about 180/200 (this all depends on your oven) – the crust will sort itself out and the crumb will soften.
    You can do this several times.

I tend to make several loaves at a time, then when they’re cool, cut and freeze sliced. You can then pop then in the toaster from frozen, or use the above method of you want bread.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bread Makers ,crumbling at day 2’ is closed to new replies.