Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bread Flour Storage
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some sturdy, ideally airtight storage boxes that will hold a 25 or 16 kg bag of flour?

I’ve seen a few possible options online, but it’s difficult to tell if how much they would take or how sturdy they are.
    Many thanks

Marko

We use a couple of these:
    Food grade barrels

Purchased from Smiths in Coleford if you’re in the area.

submarined
    Free Member

Mines in the paper bag it came in next to me! Air tightness had never been an issue tbh. Just fold the top over.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mines in the paper bag it came in next to me! Air tightness had never been an issue tbh. Just fold the top over.

This

BadlyWiredDog

We’ve got a couple of Rubbermaid Brute containers with the snap-on lids and keep the flour in the original sacks in side them, they’ve been fine.

toby1

Mines in the paper bag it came in next to me!

My resident mice would really love you for doing that!

Mine is in the paper bag in a ‘really useful box’ with the lid clamped closed to keep said mice out.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I should have added really needs to be rectangular. Our house is tiny so space is a premium.
    We lost a whole bag of ancient grains flour due to maggots. Shipton Mill were good and refunded it – they said it’s a problematic one to store as some type of fly loves it.

We’re keeping the cardboard boxes/bags in a small cupboard under the stairs. They keep falling apart as they get dragged out. so we’re looking for something more robust.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

@toby1 – that’s a good shout. I do love a really useful box. And they stack nicely too.

submarined
    Free Member

Ah, good call on the rodents!

toby1

I do love a really useful box

Garage has loads of them, even started using them in my wardrobe now too, they seem to last well (provided you don’t drop heavy objects into them, duh!).

simon_g

Lots of the home pizza nerds buy Caputo flour in 25kg bags and store in a barrel like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-Plastic-Storage-Barrel-Approved/dp/B009Z7IY70/ – can get it in 30l if you shake/settle it down.

We have a few indian stainless steel containers for bulk rice and roti flour, they come in loads of sizes and will last forever.

spooky_b329

If you want to avoid flour mites I had good success wrapping the flour bags in clingfilm and then freezing them for 48 hours. The mites are already there apparently but freezing them kills them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.