• This topic has 3,406 replies, 193 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,407 total)
  • Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread
  • legolam
    Free Member

Gutted. Iran deserved at least a point

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can they not be docked a goal for Palacio’s hair?

chewkw
    Free Member

Send them I-ranian players to the crane. 👿

Jamie
    Free Member

Iran wuz robbed. Should have had a pen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gotta feel for Iran there. Seemed to deserve a point from that game.

MSP

This is a great tournament. The 2 highest scoring games are ones you would have expected to be close. And teams that should have rolled over and died, have pushed top teams right to the edge (and beyond in some cases).

leffeboy

This is a great tournament

Yep. A lot of the matches have been hugely enjoyable. Has there been a global change in playing style or a change in refereeing that keeps it moving? What do those that actually know about this stuff think?

Jamie
    Free Member

2 day old zebrafish larvae are not happy…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What do those that actually know about this stuff think?

Youse are probably on the wrong thread. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I think this has been a tournament where pragmatic football has taken control. Those teams who have tried to overplay and retain possession through intricate passing have generally been found out.

I actually include England in that as I think they tried to be too intricate at times and need to learn just to get the job done. Football is all about scoring goals, not about how long you can keep the ball.

As a result of the above, the games have generally been very entertaining. A team with passion and commitment will beat a less committed, more skillful team 9 times out of 10 or, at least, give them a very good game.

MSP

I think this has been a tournament where pragmatic football has taken control.

I don’t know that “pragmatic” is the right choice of word. It seems like the “lesser” teams have decided not to play the role they were meant to, and have just decided to bloody well have a go and go out in a blaze of glory if need be. While some of the supposed big teams are looking nervous and unsure of how to deal with it.

mikey74
    Free Member

But even the top sides are playing more direct football. Those who have been smart have realised that they have to force the issue or else they will come unstuck.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I reckon its a fitness thing.

I think there’s been a recognition over the past 4-5 years that if a team is fit enough then by aggressively closing down they can neutralise most tactics without having to sit back too deep and with much more in the way of counterattacking options. The problem in the past has been that players at lower levels haven’t been able to maintain the intensity and have been overrun when they’ve tried it.

This time out, there really aren’t many players who aren’t playing at a high level, even in the lower ranked teams, the fitness is good enough to play in more aggressive ways.

mikey74
    Free Member

This time out, there really aren’t many players who aren’t playing at a high level, even in the lower ranked teams, the fitness is good enough to play in more aggressive ways.

I agree, that is a big part of it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For pragmatic, read better surely? Haven’t Bayern been the catalyst with the technique of Barca but with fitness and speed/intensity at a different and higher level.

Much more exciting to watch and play I would imagine. If you are fit (and mentally strong 😉 ) enough to do it.

I think a lot of this stuff has come from hockey and now replicated on the football field. Long may it continue. Great fun.

The Dutch seem to have got this well now -super fit. Look at Robben’s physique. No wonder they like the tight tops.

MSP

For pragmatic, read better surely? Haven’t Bayern been the catalyst with the technique of Barca but with fitness and speed/intensity at a different and higher level.

So Barcelona and Spain, the teams that have dominated football for the past 5 or 6 years and all everybody else had to do to beat them was train a bit harder? Sounds suspiciously like the Armstrong story.
    🙄

mikey74
    Free Member

I wasn’t using “pragmatic” as a negative term, quite the opposite.

Teams have realised that constantly pressuring technical players will pay dividends, but with that comes an increased need for fitness. I think teams were afraid to do this too much before as they could only keep doing it for so long.

How many goals have we seen that have involved 15-20 passes from one end to another? My guess would be not many.

MSP

Now lets hope Ghana can give the Germans a shock.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Nearly…

leffeboy

Sounds suspiciously like the Armstrong story.

now that’s a horrible thought 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

You are forgetting the fact that one of the things that made Barca so good was the way they closed down the opposition: As soon as they lost the ball, 3/4 players surrounded the opposition player and won it back.

It shouldn’t be underestimated how much Spain missed Puyol.

Jamie
    Free Member

Now lets hope Ghana can give the Germans a shock.

Let’s not.

Sorry. Have my German hat on now.

It looks like this:

MSP

No really, for those of us who actually live in Germany, the last thing we want is happy Germans celebrating victory by driving round all night demonstrating the efficiency of audible warning systems on German made cars.

mikey74
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

No really, for those of us who actually live in Germany, the last thing we want is happy Germans celebrating victory by driving round all night demonstrating the efficiency of audible warning systems on German made cars.

Get a load of Buzz Killington over here 😛

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Barcelona and Spain, the teams that have dominated football for the past 5 or 6 years and all everybody else had to do to beat them was train a bit harder?

Obviously not, no one has said that. But Bayern and others have started to play a (IMO) more dynamic game. I think we are seeing the same so far in this WC. Hence it’s better viewing than WC 2010 so far.

My Dutch friends say that there has been a v strong emphasis of being the fittest team though. Will VG do the same at Man U ?

MSP

Is this the first time brothers haver played against each other in the WC finals?

My Dutch friends say that there has been a v strong emphasis of being the fittest team though. Will VG do the same at Man U ?

It is a nonsense to suggest that any top class footballer or team isn’t at their physical peak, and that the training done in the month when national teams get together before the world cup will make any impact after a lifetime spent training for professional sports.

theotherjonv

No, they played against each other last time as well, iirc

Jamie
    Free Member

Noice header knee facer!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ahhh… bumnuggets.

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone’s going to FIFA prison.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shakalaka boom boom.

chewkw
    Free Member

Good goal from the Deutsch. 😯

Edit … the equalizer from a header payback time.

Jamie
    Free Member

Noice header!

lemonysam
    Free Member

BOOM BOOM indeed!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It is a nonsense to suggest that any top class footballer or team isn’t at their physical peak, and that the training done in the month when national teams get together before the world cup will make any impact after a lifetime spent training for professional sports.

Photos already posted and performances to date would suggest otherwise 😉

From the horses mouth

Holland’s playmaker Wesley Sneijder finds yet another way to praise Van Gaal, saying: “We were all much fitter than the opponents. We’ve worked very hard, and are now plucking the fruits of that.” That applies particularly to Sneijder, who after a spell living like a rock star had grown so chubby that Van Gaal almost did not take him to Brazil. He now looks at his best. Up front Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie were fit enough to press Spain’s keeper Iker Casillas whenever he had the ball, with frequently hilarious results.

Source: FT

Snejder might also be talking rubbish though!!!! Doubt it…. 😉

MSP

1-1 who’d have funked it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shake Shake the room.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sami Khedira is not having a great WC.

1-1 who’d have funked it.

*honks horn*

lemonysam
    Free Member

Blinding!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,407 total)

The topic ‘Brazil 2014. The World Cup thread’ is closed to new replies.