Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Brass Monkeys – Tunnel Hill this w/e. Little bit of advice please.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Would like to do this but my usual hard tail is out of action
    and I only have my old faithful rigid Klein Attitude to use. So was just wondering if the circuit will be too rough for 3 hours on a rigid. Anyone know what the conditions are likely to be?

methers27
    Free Member

I’d give it a go, I don’t know the route they’ll be using but I can’t think of anything rough enough to cause you major discomfort

theotherjonv

Undulating pine forest mainly, very little truly rough. Versus not riding – do it.

gary

I survived 4 hours on a rigid SS last year. JFDI.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Jobsagoodun then. Thanks chaps!

gren
    Free Member

Mostly singletrack in the forests with soft but rooty conditions. Some fireroads but nothing too rough.

Was there on Sunday and most of the trails are holding up after all the rain.

shortcut

I was up there last night. Trails are starting to dry out so (with no more rain) it should be really good. As for rigid – you will be fine although there are quite a lot of roots so a larger front tyre might be good.

Looking forward to the race.

Yak

Only managed to get to round 1 of this series and will miss this Sunday’s too. 🙁

But if I was going, I’d be doing the 4hr on a rigid. Its fine for the gorrick’s areas imo, especially in the winter.

Doesn’t slow Al Fairbairn either!
    Have a good race.

turboferret

I used to ride most of the Gorricks on a rigid SS – you’ll be fine 🙂

Cheers, Rich

gee
    Free Member

I’ll be there on my rigid fatbike. 4hrs no problem!

GB

plop_pants
    Free Member

Not having done one of these before, is there anywhere you can leave bottles and a bit of food to pick up when needed during the event?

gary

Yup – normally just before or after the finish line you will find lots of bottle/food stashes.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll be there on my rigid fatbike. 4hrs no problem!

You’re kidding!? Have you already got the series wrapped up then?

adsh
    Free Member

How rooty in comparison to the other 3 rounds?

njee20
    Free Member

Seriously!? There will be 23 more roots than R1, but 49 less than R3.

It’ll be broadly similar.

gren
    Free Member

How rooty in comparison to the other 3 rounds?

Similar to Porridgepot and Frith Hill rounds as far as rootiness goes.

shortcut

It won’t be any more rooty than Ash, Caesars or Minley where the previous rounds actually were.

adsh
    Free Member

Seriously!? There will be 23 more roots than R1, but 49 less than R3

Thanks but I think you’ve got that the wrong way round :D. FWIW I’ve got a bad back but took my HT to R3 as I couldn’t face the bushing attrition etc in the conditions. I came away surprised how well my back held up and at the extra pedalling efficiency but the course seemed a lot less bumpy/technical than the others. As I’ve not ridden at Tunnel Hill I thought I’d ask.

gee
    Free Member

Well I need to finish 15th or better to win overall. Last round I was about an hour ahead of 15th, so should be ok… Hopefully it will be some great advertising for Salsa!

Although it would be quite funny if I failed to win overall after taking the piss and riding a fat bike.

GB

gee
    Free Member

Pictures on the Facebook page look promising…

plop_pants
    Free Member

Big fat rain sodden low pressure come over on Sunday. :0(

crosshair
    Free Member

Never done one before but looking forward to it 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

Is getting to the venue early enough to get a practice lap in worth the effort (if its allowed?) or do most not bother?

Yak

I wouldn’t – its a long race and not that technical.

edit – this may explain my tendency to first lap crashes though….

plop_pants
    Free Member

Uh oh!!!

What flippers for BM?!

gee
    Free Member

I rode a lap this evening before it started to rain.

Honestly – there was one damp and slippy bit of fire road, about 100m. The rest was bone dry, not even a puddle.

GB

DrP

6.8mm of rain planned from 12-1300…

Pants.

DrP

plop_pants
    Free Member

How many spare brake pads do you reckon?

DrP

I’m going to take just one extra pad….

DrP

adsh
    Free Member

Hmmm single track looks narrower with some ditch sections. Add rain and 1000 wheels and it might be pretty slippy late on? How sandy is it – same as Swinley?

theotherjonv

Walked the dog there this am. Looks like some nice sections based on what appears to have been blown clear, plus a few old favourites. Pretty dry considering, of course there’s a lot of standing water on fire roads and in some of the hollows, but not much what I’d call real mud. Although with the forecast for tomorrow, that could well change. Although that said, if it’s that wet it could easily go through muddy straight to soaking which will eat brake pads with the sand, but doesn’t stick to bikes like real mud.

Will be riding over to watch and heckle, have fun.

gee
    Free Member

Rode a couple of laps again today. Even after the rain last night it’s still pretty much dry the whole way round. Bit splashy on the fire roads and a couple of puddles but 99% firm and dry. It’s a great fun lap – seemed quite hilly and takes in lots of great trails.

All of this is irrelevant though as it’s going to piss down all day tomorrow and be utterly soul destroying and miserable. Will all be rideable though. Just bring waterproofs and brake pads.

GB

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are some serious bogs and lakes up there at the moment, but just in certain spots. I’m guessing the route they’ll have cleared will be fine. They’re usually very good at sorting a good route.

crosshair
    Free Member

Do you guys seriously eat a set of pads mid race?
    I’ve done 3000 miles including four Gorricks and a load of other events on my SLX ones and they’re still only 3/4 worn.

I have some in my tool pouch but really???

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The weather has turned nasty here now. Very strong wind and rain. Trains out of London really screwed – trees on the line. Be prepared!

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’m very last century and still have rim brakes, so don’t fancy my chances of finishing the 3 hour old gits race even with a spare set of pads. But what the hell.
    It’s the forecast winds that concern me a bit more, very strong mid race.

gee
    Free Member

Eat pads mid race? Hell yeah! Usually prefer energy bars though.

Seriously – yes I’ve worn out brand new pads in less than 2hra before. As long as I still have one working brake I won’t stop and put new ones in though. After the last round the rears were about half way through the backing plate and the fronts were wafer thin.

GB

crosshair
    Free Member

Thanks Gee. I guess I don’t go fast enough or brake hard enough 😀

gren
    Free Member

Rode some of the course this afternoon. Nice and dry. Then the hailstorm from hell hit on the way home. Probably a bit more squelchy now. Definitely more so by tomorrow.

Tunnel is kind on brakes by the way. Not like Swinley.

adsh
    Free Member

Jeez that hurt! Hope the lady who hirt herself on one of the descents is ok. My apologies for stalling in front of Gee as he was lapping me in what looled to be 2nd.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Brass Monkeys – Tunnel Hill this w/e. Little bit of advice please.’ is closed to new replies.