• This topic has 62 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Brass Monkeys Round 3 Venue Change
  • david47
    Free Member

I read that too, but A fair amount is on well ridden well known trails, sure it will become clear then they ‘will tell us more about it this week’. To be fair, a horse had ridden a lot of the new stuff already, and a little bit more of that and it will definitely be a mess!!

GorrickTeam
    Free Member

Yes, as we have made very clear, it is privately owned land, as was pointed out by one of our team members who was there when the horses rode through. We are incredibly lucky that the land owner has let us work on the land to create an exciting new venue – let’s not jeopardise that.

Kryton57

So, is Sunday going ahead?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not for me, can’t make this weekend.

As they had to reschedule… can I get a reeeeefund? 😉

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Sounds like it is definitely on from the FB feed:

The team were out again today at Sunday’s venue which is called ‘Area 51’. We’re very pleased to say it’s not wet there and no rain is forecast. As it’s a brand new venue, here’s a bit about what you can expect:

‘Starting out from the Arena set deep in the heart of the woods the Start Straight twists down the valley before climbing up towards the highest point on the course then plunges into the first singletrack. This climbs and descends the hill side and twists and turns bringing riders back to the Arena. Then it’s off through the pine woods to the old favourite ‘Wedding Ring’ before some more fire break trail and traditonal descent back down in to the valley. Some old favourites follow on before a new section of singletrack sweeps around the hillside before climbing once again towards the Arena with some more woodland singletrack before the final return to the Arena.’
    We hope that’s stoked your anticipation!
    The event is full so please do not turn up to enter unless you have specifically been given a vacated place. When you arrive please follow the marshals’ directions.

Kryton57

a) I’m such an idiot. With more concern about my car having been pushed into a parking space, and how I was going to get out, I really couldn’t be arsed with this. I got a bad start, finding myself cruising in 35th or so place, rode carefully on the ice and basically sulked the “race” out of myself…

…only to find the two laps I did do were matching the pace of the leaders. FFS I should have finished, my legs don’t even ache at all and the trail was improving. 😐

b) To that idiot on the pink metallic bike – ESPECIALLY when you are at the back an not contesting a podium, you DO NOT barge your way unannounced past a rider with a 6ft bank on one side of 18 inches of trail, only then to force the front of your bike – again unnanounced – between a rider and two trees forcing a stop which you then bully past. You sir, are a cock – please learn some manners, use your voice and respect those around you.

Kryton57

Edit: I should have said – apart from the dubious parking access which I guess the weather has some responsibility for, the course was good, mainly flattish with some short steep climbs and slippy descents. It’d be blazing fast in the dry, so well done Gorrick for making this work.

akira

Was fun, don’t have three hours in my legs currently so the last half hour was pure survival but good course and high spirits despite the snow. Think I got fifth in fat bikes again.

bigdaddy

I really enjoyed the 2 hr vets race, although o didn’t have the legs for a 4th lap despite having 10 mins spare! The snow kinda added to the experience although I wasn’t that sold on a course with nowhere to pass or refuel!

adsh
    Free Member

Kryton – please don’t tell me you took your lowered Beemer?

Anyway log the reason you failed to finish and watch out for it in future. Better now than summer.

I’m glad I missed it. Lie in, family brownie points and 2hr 45min tempo road ride with toasty new Castelli bibs

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Well that was interesting 99% singletrack 🙂 I was 10th in 4hr vets suffered mid race not enough off road riding too much road the lack of strength & riding anything technical took its toll. That mud sapped the legs after while too but good fun. Did anybody meet the grumpy grandma on the approach road ? As I was leaving she said to me that she hopes she never sees us all again 😯

sarpullido
    Free Member

Great course with near 100%100 singletrack. Those sharp climbs hurt after few hours.
    Started my 7th lap after 3h 55 minutes, finishing 6th vets and second ss tied in the overall ss sub category with the first today. Trophy decided by best result today so well done David Smith. He beat me in 2 of the rounds.
    For me I had arm and shoulder cramps for the last 3 laps. Despite the 2 colds in the last 4 weeks I felt much better than expected but not enough for the win. Swapped Ikons fir Beavers and it was the right choice.
    Forgot my spd shoes but glad I had old ones on the roof box.

Well done Gorrick team, you’ve done a fantastic job.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused how it ended up on normal MOD tunnel hill land and not the private area 51 mentioned above

Kryton57

Kryton – please don’t tell me you took your lowered Beemer?

Its not lowered more than the usual M-Sport spec but yes. Thats the last time I take it to a Gorrick event, its the Kuga all the way now. I feel sorry for the blue 3 series, that looked grounded!

Anyway log the reason you failed to finish and watch out for it in future.

Not are what to do with “can’t be arsed” and “worried about my car”. I know it sounds a fuss about nothing but I’ve written one off last year, I can’t afford for the to happen again, and I’m a natural stress head. 😐

Really, everything was wrong, starting near the back, not aggressive enough once going, forgetting to re-engage my clutch mech, leaving the front fork locked out, not (for the second time) using the caffeine gel I was carrying on the hour, not dealing with the bad manners mentioned in the way they should have been (by getting back in front), poor attitude…

Sigh. I’m torn between riding one of the 2 Thetford events next weekend to make amends, or getting back on the road to get some club miles in.

Well done Sarpillido and carbobfiend.

Dogsby

Great event and excellent course (considering the weather and time of year) and pretty well organised despite the conditions.

Dogsby

akira

My shoulders cramped up trying to take my shoes off afterwards. Pretty physical course once it got muddy.

Stiggy

Yes I saw ‘grumpy grandma’, I gave her a smile and she gave me back one of the scariest grimaces I’ve ever seen! 😯
    She knew her way round a broom though..

mccraque

I’m such an idiot. With more concern about my car having been pushed into a parking space, and how I was going to get out, I really couldn’t be arsed with this. I got a bad start, finding myself cruising in 35th or so place, rode carefully on the ice and basically sulked the “race” out of myself…

Exactly this!!!

My misery compounded by not having shaken a chest infection, feeling pretty dreadful for the whole race (it was rattling with every inbreath!). I then punctured at the end of lap one. Couldn’t go home with just 4 miles in the bag so reluctantly did a 2nd lap. Then went home (before what I would assume would end as a wet Glastonbury style carpark carnage) with the heated seats on full blast.

Nice course. Just didn’t do myself justice racing when ill.

Yak

Happy enough with that. 21st in the 2hr on 4laps. Went too fast on the first lap though and suffered for that. Anyway a 15 place improvement on rd 2, so hopefully heading in the right direction. Relentless course, mostly fun, struggled on the hills later on. So lots to work on.
    Mrs Yak got 2nd again in the 4hr vets – chuffed.

Well done Gorrick.
    Yeah, i tried to be nice to Grumpy Granny, but she wasn’t having it.

iain65
    Free Member

Ok, first ever Gorrick now done, managed to get 5th in 3hr GV which I was pleased with.

Impressed the Gorrick team managed to get such a good venue, well done guys.

sirromj

Some video footage from near the back of the pack from the 4hour race:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUP8tWLVo8[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

I thought mounted cameras weren’t allowed in UK races?

DrP

Probably not ‘super official UK series races’.
    I think Brass Monkeys is more a bit of fun (judging by the comments and cop-outs above! (myself included in the cop out category…))

DrP

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Brass Monkeys Round 3 Venue Change’ is closed to new replies.