• This topic has 73 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Brant's new frame, but he won't say what it is yet.
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

If the chainstays do not connect to the seat tube (I initially thought that was how the Jones was designed) I predict a lot of twist in the rear wheel, you may get some vertical flex but a lot of torsional flex too. Ok I’m no engineer – so it’s just an opinion 🙂 ! Goes and has a look at a real Spaceframe – the three top tube/extended seat stays are all connected to form a virtual tube that has quite a large diameter, which provides the lateral stiffness. The curved centre tube allows for some (small) flex in the seat tube, which is aided by having a long flexible 27.2mm seatpost, presumably the chainstay flex comes from having a ver shallow triangle and curved ends to the seat stays, plus the flattened areas, regardless – it does flex, you can see it on the vid on Jeff’s blog. Also, in the video – you can see some unwanted lateral flex (nothing’s perfect!) in the seat tube – so it’s possible your design would have more flex, be interesting to see how it rides!! 😉

jameso

I’m unclear how Jones does that, as those frames look quite triangulated and braced. I can see how the Jones seat tube could bend backwards and forwards.

There’s a lot of flex in the post + ST area when seated but stood up the whole frame seems to work as a sort of leaf spring. You can feel it when landing, ride a diamond frame off the same stuff and it feels quite different. It makes sense when looking at it side on, remembering how rigid the fork is and not thinking of flex as coming from just the rear triangle (not meant as egg sucking as I know you’d recognise that a lot of frame flex/comfort that is perceived as ‘rear compliance’ is front end give).

But if you put a 12PSI 650×3.3″ tyre in the back of a space frame I’m not sure if there would be much frame flex, as far as I understand it’s why Jeff doesn’t sell a fat space frame, although there’s pics of one he did make ages ago somewhere.

(you all knew I couldn’t not chip in on the Jones aspect eh)

I can see how this idea could work differently, more seated flex, if the rear end’s not affected too much by not attaching stays and ST. May as well try it. I cut a 1″ section out of an old hardtails stays once to see how it flexed, and rode- briefly..

brant
    Free Member

I can see how this idea could work differently, more seated flex, if the rear end’s not affected too much by not attaching stays and ST. May as well try it. I cut a 1″ section out of a hardtail stays once to see how it flexed, and rode- briefly..

Maybe I should get more bracing added, then cut it out.

Northwind

The RC51 of pushbikes.

DrP

I want the return of “mega oversized tubing”, ALA the era of the ‘freemans catalogue bike’!

DrP

jameso

I did edit that to say ‘an old’ hardtail! – it was a scrapper and sometimes you just want to know.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

People think that a Jones is just a bunch of whacky curved tubing, dismissed as an explosion in a spaghetti factory, but it’s all there for a purpose, it really is laterally stiff, no buzz from rear tyres, and the vertical flex is there too.

Jeff’s fat bike was based on a diamond frame IIRC.

timbur
    Free Member

Brant’s new frame, but he won’t say what it is yet.

[jumps up and down waving hands in air]

I know what it is. I’ve got one that looks just like it in the shed but mines black. I’ve still got the stickers if you want them Brant?

😈

hora
    Free Member

^is that Michael Stipe of REM accepting a music award?

wwaswas

I’m just chuffed that a comment I made has helped result in this frame.

You can all carry on discussing it now 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The answer to your question Waswas, is that if they’re not welded to the seat tube, the bike will (probably) handle like a wet noodle 😉 we’ll see I suppose.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Take the toptube out, straighten that seat tube, and it’s Brant’s homage to Torker/Haro Bmx bikes from the early 80’s?

Torker 280x anyone? With a Redline flite crank, some Araya 7x, CW Pro Bars and a pair of Dia Compe mx1000’s?

shredder
    Free Member

If only I stil had it …

chip
    Free Member

Are Planet X or on one run from the box room of brants mums house.
    Is that why he uses this forum for advertising, customer service, exactly how tin pot is his business.
    Anyone else who uses this forum to promote there business quickly gets there head bitten off , yet he continually gets free reign to use this site as a marketing tool.

I hope he kicks a few spons to the mods by the way of thanks for propping up his business.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

^^ Don’t feed the troll ^^

Oh, and their not there/.

chip
    Free Member

Not trolling, just an observation..

wwaswas

he continually gets free reign

that’s right, he’s the king of this site and doesn’t have to pay for the privilege.

Brant isn’t the only trade person to post on here, he follows the rules on astroturfing and, from what I’ve seen, provides a good back on customer service for P-X (he did for me anyway).

Other than that, not rising to the bait.

I do hope we get a ride report on here – I’d love to know if the stays do act as a bigger spring without introducing noodliness.

jonestown
    Free Member

Are Planet X or on one run from the box room of brants mums house.
    Is that why he uses this forum for advertising, customer service, exactly how tin pot is his business.
    Anyone else who uses this forum to promote there business quickly gets there head bitten off , yet he continually gets free reign to use this site as a marketing tool.

I remember that feeling, it was quite painful 🙂

chip
    Free Member

I do hope we get a ride report on here – I’d love to know if the stays do act as a bigger spring without introducing noodliness.

I am sure you will. 😀
    I can’t wait.

wwaswas

I wish Specialized and Trek were so open about their development process.

A bit of feedback from here about introducing a 148mm rear hub ‘standard’ because “135 is too narrow for 29er wheels” whilst doing nothing about the 100mm front “it’s too complicated to change it” might have altered Trek’s priorities?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Isn’t this entire thread about a bike you can’t buy, made at their expense as an indulgent muse about how bikes wobble?

Hardly a full page advert is it? And no, he/his employers aren’t the only ones and I for one am glad the manufacturers/others show up. Little more incentive to provide some level of customer service.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

not trolling

Your missing the fact your not a fanboy that’s all, you will soon learn to get wedged up some buddy buddies arse just to be one of the cool kids.

vorlich
    Free Member

Brant didn’t start the thread. So far he seems to have contributed something of interest, which is more than can be said of others… 🙄

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Maybe I should get more bracing added, then cut it out.

You could add some reasonably long bracing plates between the two seat stays at a couple of points to help them work together as one beam in side loading and provided you didn’t connect it to the main frame anywhere but the headtube and where it crosses the main top tube it wouldn’t have any real affect on the vertical stiffness.
    As mentioned above, I strongly suspect that the flex in the Jones rear end is critically dependent on the vertical bend in the seat stays to take away a lot of the compression stiffness of the stays. I don’t know what your stays do out of shot but if they aren’t curved it’ll not move too much I suspect.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

^ that would certainly help! I reckon it would still twist too much though. Proof/pudding etc.

brianp
    Free Member

Now painted, wide back end, 27.5 x 3″ ?

wwaswas

Did anyone ever get to ride this?

GregMay
    Free Member

*Sadface* that we may never get to see it.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Would have ridden like a wet noodle. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Gopping

Just one of the worst words.

Indeed, one might even call it an ugly word…

ratherbeintobago

*Sadface* that we may never get to see it.

Aye, maybe. Wasn’t Brant responsible for all those slightly odd Ragleys (Bagger 288 etc)?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Brant – if you’re looking for volunteers, I’m in Bradford and perhaps Hebden on Sat 🙂

brant
    Free Member

That frame is left in the more than capable hands of the design team at Planet X.

I’m in Berwick, having been bodyboarding at Bamburgh this afternoon and riding at Innerleithen this evening 🙂

Checking out some alpacas tomorrow.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Brant's new frame, but he won't say what it is yet.’ is closed to new replies.