• This topic has 73 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Brant's new frame, but he won't say what it is yet.
  • brianp
    Free Member
    edd

The new On-One Jones…

bails

An On One Mixte?

onewheelgood

that is lovely.

raisinhat
    Free Member

650b+, 3 inch fat tyres and similar outside diameter to 29er

(Pure speculation here)

faustus

There’s a lot of tubes going on there, so won’t be light…very interesting though!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Desperately carving a new niche?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Gopping

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is it stainless, or just polished before painting?

953?

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

its a bike.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Looks worryingly like a 1990 Puch Pholcus

chrishc777
    Free Member

Would be nice if it was 953, I know Cotic tried it but they just snap apparently

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would be nice if it was 953, I know Cotic tried it but they just snap apparently

Wasn’t the problem with the cotic that they made it lighter than the 853 tubes but the same strength, so it was quite flexy, then did eventualy snap? Not an inherent problem of 953, just that for MTB tubesets there was no way to make it better than 853 as it’s already the optimum ammounts stiffnes to strength.

(Pure speculation here)

Surly instigator got there first (on my list of “things to look out for in the sales because it’s not great VFM at the moment”)

faustus

Instigator is 26+ making it similar or slightly bigger than 650b. 650b+ would just be the same size as a normal 29er pretty much…

brant
    Free Member

Gopping

Just one of the worst words. It’s awful.

Boom tish.

There’s a lot of tubes going on there, so won’t be light…very interesting though!

Yeah. It’s going to be no lightweight.

A comment from this thread made me start thinking about this frame. So yeah – stays are unbraced until they meet the other top tube. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Seat tube is heavily bent over to see if we can induce some flex.

It’ll be a really interesting test of “vertical compliance”.

Someone’s meant to be making me a titanium one too.

brant
    Free Member

Is it stainless, or just polished before painting?

0.9/0.6/0.9 chromoly, cleaned for welding.

faustus

Almost a soft-tail then? Nice!

thepurist

Laterally stiff though? 😉

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Jones-a-like attempt to get some actual vertical movement at the rear then?

tomaso
    Free Member

I remember early alloy lugged carbin tubed Trek bikes had interesting flex in all directions. Super noodle was the nick name for my mates…

brant
    Free Member

Jones-a-like attempt to get some actual vertical movement at the rear then?

I’m unclear how Jones does that, as those frames look quite triangulated and braced. I can see how the Jones seat tube could bend backwards and forwards.

brant
    Free Member

Laterally stiff though?

We’ll see.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’m unclear how Jones does that, as those frames look quite triangulated and braced. I can see how the Jones seat tube could bend backwards and forwards.

He’s got a video somewhere on his website showing apparent movement while riding, I can’t remember where the camera is mounted though.
    Edit- Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-bastzh7c

chrishc777
    Free Member

Wasn’t the problem with the cotic that they made it lighter than the 853 tubes but the same strength, so it was quite flexy, then did eventualy snap? Not an inherent problem of 953, just that for MTB tubesets there was no way to make it better than 853 as it’s already the optimum ammounts stiffnes to strength

Exactly, The advantage is you can make it lighter but it ends up being very flexy (very thin tubing is used with 853 as it is) and it did eventually snap, I beleive Cy has it on his wall somewhere.
    Back to the on-one will be very interested in knowing how the vertical give experiment works out, and how much lateral flex it induces

jimw
    Free Member

My Cotic 931 hasn’t snapped but it is a little bit flexy-makes it more comfortable- I’m quite glad of that in my advancing years.
    It isn’t lighter than 853 except for the lack of paint apparently
    Ooops, edited as I realise it is 931 not 953

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah so there are some (at least one) out there! Is it on Soul geometry? is it all 953 or just parts? (ie the Bfe with 853 in parts of it?)

jimw
    Free Member

Ah so there are some (at least one) out there! Is it on Soul geometry? is it all 953 or just parts? (ie the Bfe with 853 in parts of it?)

see edited version!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Back on topic, if the chainstays can flex enough, why not just do what softails used to and put an elastomer shock absorber in the seatstay?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Because complex tubing is more nice, and also more niche! 🙂

brianp
    Free Member

So just to clarify is the wheel size 650b+ ?

brant
    Free Member

Back on topic, if the chainstays can flex enough, why not just do what softails used to and put an elastomer shock absorber in the seatstay?

Or make a carbon fibre frame with a proper shock that weighs less.

I dunno. It’s just an itch I wanted to scratch.

aracer
    Free Member

Leaving aside the meme, I’d be worried about torsion.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see what happens.
    Seat tube is heavily bent over to see if we can induce some flex.

Have you ever thought about FEA to see what happens rather than prototyping something that may be crap?

tazzymtb

cor, a second jeff inspired copy, its nice to know his geometry has stood the test of time. It’ll all be 51-55 degree offset rigid forks next to mimic the truss fork geometry…..

😀

z1ppy

I’m quite surprised no one posted this yet with regards to this thread (or any other on-one/Planet X thread)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You wanted to scratch a Jones itch?

I have a hunch the seat tube won’t flex much.

tazzymtb

And before any pedantic gits pick it up, yes I know offset is in mm not degrees…just a senior moment 😀

biff

Amazing.

Euro
    Free Member

If Brant wont say what it is, then allow me… it’s a woman’s shopping bike and goes by the moniker La Menstrual Cycle.

Olly
    Free Member

Almost-soft-tail. I like it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Brant's new frame, but he won't say what it is yet.’ is closed to new replies.