Brant – blue pig and 650b

Home Forum Bike Forum Brant – blue pig and 650b

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Brant – blue pig and 650b
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

like a 26″ as it’s bugger all different?

I think on the consumer side there is a desire for some sort of better mousetrap/magic bullet – a wheel size between 26? and 29? that will combine all the positive attributes of both into one bike that will do everything. That desire is a bit naive, but people go down that road all the time.

Yetiman

There’s tons of tyre clearance, even with big volume 2.4” Rubber Queen and 2.4 Schwalbe Big Betty tyres, so I don’t see any reason why a 650b wheel and smaller tyre won’t fit.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yetiman – Member

I don’t see any reason why a 650b wheel and smaller tyre won’t fit.

A bit pointless, though. Think it’s fair to assume that people wanting to 650b-ise a 26er want to get some benefit from it. (though maybe not, some people seem to want to reinvent the 26 inch wheel, so they can have the cool new wheel size but without any real change…)

you’ll definitely die

Yetiman

Oh, I completely agree Northwind.

geologist

Brant or anyone else, who has tried this, I have a 2011 blue pig, will it take a 650b wheel , and if so, how does it ride?

I’ll be sticking some x-fusion forks on.

Cheers

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I have sen it done but it falls squarely in the “why would you want to?” category.

geologist

I’ve read a few bike reviews recently, that have said how noticeable the 650b size is. I know alot don’t agree with that.
    The Saracen zen for example in mbuk this month.

It’s just a thought , I’m thinking about an upgrade and wondered if anyone had tried it. I have heard somewhere that Brant has done this.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

scottr wrote:

I’ve read a few bike reviews recently, that have said how noticeable the 650b size is. I know alot don’t agree with that.
    The Saracen zen for example in mbuk this month.
    It’s just a thought , I’m thinking about an upgrade and wondered if anyone had tried it. I have heard somewhere that Brant has done this.

I rode a bike that was 650b, I was not paid to ride it and my job did not depend on reviewing it.
    I felt like a good 26″ trail bike, there was a slight boost at a certain speed but there was also a drag/slow at low speeds trying to do technical climbs where you had to pick the bike round stuff

Junkyard

I’ve read a few bike reviews recently, that have said how noticeable the 650b size is.

In that case it must be true I am off to spunk £3k on this life changing wheel size

I dont think anyone can tell the difference between the two tbh

spectabilis

I’m thinking about an upgrade and wondered if anyone had tried it.

do taller tyres count surely a cheaper option ??

geologist

Yeah but a 26er blue pig with big tyres, that’s so last year, I’m not niche enough to carry that off 😉

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

just run a 2.4RQ out back, theres loads of room for it and its as tall as a 650B, you also get that same feeling of loads of inertia like you do on a 29er.
    TBH I couldnt notice a positive difference in rolling feel between a Trek 29er and the Pig on Big tyres, but the Big wheeler was worse through twisty forest singletrack…..

mangatank

For reference, this is a Brant quote from Feb 2012:

“So I predict – 29in bikes will become bikes. 26in bikes are bikes already. 650B? They’ll be those bikes you can’t get tyres for anymore. Not that you can now. Which is good as we’ll all have someone to laugh at. And everyone likes someone to laugh at.”

Just saying

0:-)

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

In Musial terms, 26″ is vinyl

29ers are CD’s

659b is a Mini disc.

I’d wait until MP3 comes along. Meanwhile, I’ll stick with vinyl.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

mangatank – Member
    For reference, this is a Brant quote from Feb 2012:

“So I predict – 29in bikes will become bikes. 26in bikes are bikes already. 650B? They’ll be those bikes you can’t get tyres for anymore. Not that you can now. Which is good as we’ll all have someone to laugh at. And everyone likes someone to laugh at.”

But he wasn’t on-one then was he?

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

But he wasn’t on-one then was he?

Yes.

Blower

650b= bollox

im with Northwind

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Brant – blue pig and 650b’ is closed to new replies.