Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brand X dropper post Vs Old Reverb
  • Olly
    Free Member

Last time i took my bike out, my Reverb’s lower seals gave up and it threw up in my frame.
    I’m weighing up getting it fixed, over just replacing it

Some bullet points to consider.

Its a Mk 1, bought in 2014 i think. Its has the IFP fault the early ones had fixed, but i dont think its ever had new bushes or keys.
    Its 125mm long, and i could JUST get a 200mm drop in my frame (assuming a total 30mm stack height) so room for improvement.
    Being an early reverb the hose enters the post at the saddle. bit annoyin’
    I think a service, by the time ive posted it somewhere reputable is likely to cost 100 quid?

I could buy a brand X one for 140 quid:

150mm, or even 170mm drop, cable enters the post at the collar (i don’t have stealth routing, so no slopping around of cable,
    any reasons not to buy the BrandX post?
    Any reason to keep a 6 year old reverb (that would work fine with a service, i think)

kayak23

I have a Reverb on 3 bikes, including the old one you mention.

I’ve had the old one serviced by a dude on eBay. I think it was around £40.

Works ok now and still feels good.

I have a Brand-x on another bike. It’s nice to have stealth routing compared to the older external Reverb.
    The only issue I have with it is it has a tiny bit of play if you waggle the seat. My solution is to not waggle the seat.

Also, if I want to put my seat up, I have to give it a weeks notice in writing. It’s sooooo slow compared to my 3 Reverbs..
    Not sure if that can be altered any way.
    Ultimately though, they’re good for the money.

scc999

I got a brand X when it came up at the same price as a service for my Reverb.
    Very happy with it.
    Lever is far better than the Reverb plunger, works just as well, no issues so far.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joebristol

Brand X all the way I reckon. I’ve had a go on a number of bikes with reverbs and the majority have had a sag issue or not popped up that quickly. The one that was ok was just that – ok. I didn’t like the thumb push lever.

I’ve had a couple of brand x droppers (125 which was replaced after a few years with a 180mm oneup) and still got a 150. Also recently fitted a 170mm brand x (which is an updated dropper version) to a mates new bike.

They all just work and the newer underbar lever is decent enough. I’d say the brand x has a touch more rotational play than the oneup – but I’m pretty sure the seals are better.

I’ve never had to touch the 125 / 150 brand x with any maintenance. The Oneup is needing more and more frequent lifting of the top cap and cleaning / regressing the shaft and top bushing. I’m going to get a full service kit for it soon I think.

kimbers

Brand x are better posts ime

hardtailonly

I’ve two Brand X posts in my MTBs, both bought second hand from the Classifieds on here. One has some noticeable amount of rotational play, the other a miniscule amount. Both work fine and have been reliable in the time I’ve had them (4 months and 10 months respectively)

If you can get a brand new Brand X, with a warranty, for a similar price to servicing a 6 year old post, seems like a no-brainer. You could probably still recycle your reverb by selling on here for spares/repair for a few quid.

Also, if I want to put my seat up, I have to give it a weeks notice in writing. It’s sooooo slow compared to my 3 Reverbs..

Add more pressure? Or just loosen off the seatclamp 1/8th of a turn might help?

bigdaddy

Brand X for me every time. My reverb developed play, was slow and the push lever was stiff in comparison (and the whole thing much more expensive). The Brand X works really well, and it’s dead easy to just replace the cable. Lever feels much nicer too. Easy one for me!

dc1988

If you’re happy with it then the service for £40 is the way to go, if you want an upgrade then wait a bit for CRC to do the brand X post for nearer to £100, there’s likely to be a discount for black Friday or around Christmas time

kayak23

I got a Bontrager lever for my Brand-x as the stock one was….weird.
    I find the ‘throw’ to get it to move way too big. Almost like I have to rotate my wrist down to get more thumbage.

Actually much prefer the direct and short travel of the Reverb button..

luket

Is it a repair you could get done as part of a £40 service or is the reality £100? I’ve had the former done twice on reverbs, one with the squidge and one that spewed out all its air, but it’s bound to be limited in what it covers, so dunno whether it’d solve your problem, and what I got back was still an old post, albeit fully functional. Not smooth like new and still with play.

For me, if I was happy with the post and they said they could fix it, I’d probably spend the £40 to make use of the post rather than contribute to the world’s waste. However I’d see it as borderline. I also have a brand X (well, Bird), like the extra drop, agree the lever’s good and haven’t so far had any problems.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Assuming you haven’t goon handed the seat clamp. Most slow to return Brand X posts can be repaired with a new Igus split bushing. it can be replaced without rebuilding or removing the post from the frame! It will not get rid of any play, before you get all excited.

To check you undo the top collar, usually but not always hand tight. Carefully push the collar up out of the way, then push the post down about halfway and actuate it. It should pull the split bushing out at the top of it’s stroke. If your post blasts up and down with the collar and bushing out, you should be good! If it doesn’t the problems internal, usually the cartridge, some can be pumped up some can’t.

It is, of course, best practice to rebuild the entire post with fresh grease and importantly replace the collar seal, if it has been letting water and shit in.

martinifartini

Ive Got both.. i prefer the brand x by a a long way.. its solid and reliable the reverb isnt

teethgrinder

Once sold on a perfectly good reverb to replace it with a brand x.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brand X dropper post Vs Old Reverb’ is closed to new replies.