Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Brand x dropper
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

So, last year I ditched the reverb as it blew its seals. Thus was third major let down with it so had enough. I bought a 150mm brand x dropper as they were supposedly simple and reliable. It developed front to back play within 3 months. Sent it back and got a brand new unit on the 10 Jan. Thus to developed play already so has gone back. I’ve asked for a refund thus time. Question is, have I just been really unlucky or are they not as good as the hype?

tdog
    Free Member

My one does that from new

Yh and jolts going over bumps

Shite but oh well £75

jkomo

Mine has been faultless for a couple of years, only the 100mm tho.

damascus
    Free Member

Try a one up instead.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Thinking one up, koryak ( although basically the same?) or crank brothers

jler1985

I had a brand x 150mm dropper which worked well for a year and then started losing air Pressure constantly. The amount of play got worse as the year went on.
    Replaced it with a crank bros high line which has been faultless over the past year, the lever is fantastic as well.

toomba
    Free Member

Mine has a little bit of front to back play but to be honest never notice it riding the bike. For me it’s the best £120 if spent

kayak23

I’ve got a brand new 100mm one and notice done strange noises from it when in the bottom of trail compressions..It has a little play too.

Also, it doesn’t lock out where I set it properly unless I physically move the lever back to its default position.

Shame as it seems ok otherwise. I’m used to Reverbs, and used to them being pretty much fine for years.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Both posts developed enough play that you could feel it, hear it and easily see the rubber seal at the top flexing around.

steamtb

I recently bought a brand X for my wife and a SDG Tellis for my daughter. There is quite a big difference in quality and action in favour of the Tellis, impressions over the first few weeks are very positive. If I need to swap my post, I think I will be looking at a Tellis… I only bought it for my daughter on the recommendation of Early Rider testing different droppers on their bikes and the Tellis being the lightest action and most reliable.

matt_outandabout

My BrandX/TransX died this week, a month short of three years use.

v8ninety

Also, it doesn’t lock out where I set it properly unless I physically move the lever back to its default position.

Lube, or replace your cable 👍🏼

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have two CB Highlines and they have been perfect. Two year warranty on the v3 ones that are in sales for around £150 and four year warranty on the new V3.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the lever like on the Crank Bros dropper?

darksideby182

Have a look into the Funn UpDown dropper it has a system that stops any play. I have only had mine for around 6 weeks but it’s been great so far.

kayak23

Lube, or replace your cable 👍🏼

Did this before I even rode it as I couldn’t get it returning when I initially fitted it. Made no difference. Tried getting rid of a bit of the assembly grease on the nipple  mechanism end too. Still won’t go back fully without intervention.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What’s the lever like on the Crank Bros dropper?

It’s very nice as it’s on a ball joint so you can adjust general position with the bar clamp and then micro position it really well. It’s expensive bought separately (£55 IIRC) so if you’re looking at getting a discounted post make sure the lever is included because some ‘deals’ don’t. The Wiggle/CRC ones include the lever. Cable nipple is at the post end so all good.

stevextc
    Free Member

Some of mine have a SLIGHT play but no worse than the Fox one which had this from new.
    Doesn’t affect riding at all but makes me feel like the pivot bolts are loose or similar when I lift the bike!

Neither Thomson have ANY play at all. One needed a new cartridge at 1yr 11mo that was replaced under warranty but a full service would have been more than a new Brand-X a month later.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I just got a pnw cascade dropper. Amazing bit of kit, came with a very nice lever, 150mm travel and although its an external the cable joins a bit that doesnt move at the collar. Superior in every way to the reverb it replaced.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Perhaps I have just been unlucky, but could feel the play whilst pedalling on both posts, dud my head in

demonracer

This is interesting, I have a 150mm drop one and it has had visible play since new, I did contact chain reaction and was told it was normal. It also sometime feels like the clamp is slipping if I hit a bump on the trail when seated.

crispy1980
    Free Member

There should be a tighter tolerance than that. You mean back and forward play?

demonracer

Crispy1989- mine has backward and forward Play which is visible and also deforms the seal slightly.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Well, that’s what mine had, they have honoured warranty on both so doubt its normal

P-Jay
    Free Member

There is a little play out of the box, no better or worse than other droppers I’ve tired.

If it gets worse I’d suspect it’s just brass ‘key’ bushes wearing, they’re about £10 a set and it’s a literal 10 min job to replace them, well once you’ve removed the dropper from the bike.

I’m not sure all Brand X users are aware, but they are serviceable and it’s cheap and easy to do so.

masterdabber
    Free Member

There is a little play out of the box, no better or worse than other droppers I’ve tired.

If it gets worse I’d suspect it’s just brass ‘key’ bushes wearing, they’re about £10 a set and it’s a literal 10 min job to replace them, well once you’ve removed the dropper from the bike.

I’m not sure all Brand X users are aware, but they are serviceable and it’s cheap and easy to do so.

Where can you order the spares? Any instructions/tutorials?   Thanks….

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Brand x dropper’ is closed to new replies.