Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Brand new forks. Call me paranoid but would you service them before use?
  • PolisherMan

Just ordered some new Rockshox Rebas, from a random internet shop. They’re probably OEM.
    Are the oil levels consistent in new forks? Don’t want to ride them and 3 months down the line be told that they were dry.

…I have a “bit” of a history with getting through forks…! 😉

transporter13
    Free Member

I always take the lowers off any forks i buy before use and check the fluid levels…better safe than sorry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madness….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do.
    Rock Shox assemble forks with grease these days which I remove and replace with Fox Float Fluid. I think it woks better and the forks feel more supple. I also have some nicer grease for the dust seals and I’ve seen one pair that didn’t have enough lubrication oil in one leg. Damping oil I wouldn’t touch.
    But I am that anal!
    I also do cup and come hubs from new too. They’ll outlast anything if you do that.

Trimix
    Free Member

No.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Lowers, yes. Probably.
    I’ve had a few sets apart from new that have been all but dry. It’s still only a few % of the forks i’ve seen. But for peace of mind i’d be having a quick look.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I suppose it depends if you intend to keep them for a loooong time. If you change bikes all the time and like the latest forks then it’s probably not worth it. I’ve got a set of 2012 straight steerer dual air Revelations I intend to keep indefinitely.

solamanda
    Free Member

No but I have previously popped the lowers bolts off Rock Shox Boxxers to add a few mm of oil to the lowers just to ensure they’re not dry. It takes alot less time than a full lower service and I’m usually in a rush to get the bike together to ride it!

I did that last time as the previous forks shipped dry and ended up failing requiring warranty replacement (3 month wait!!).

gelert
    Free Member

You should be able to tell if they’re “just serviced” new by storing them upside down overnight then cycling the fork it should deposit a tiny amount of oil on the stanchion around the seal. It doesn’t tell you there’s the correct amount in there but it at least it means it’s not bone dry.

If there was at least some on both sides I’d ride for 10-15 hours and then service them.

I’ve had the same “history” with new forks and if there’s any doubt I’d get them serviced.

Northwind

I would-did, with my Pikes. Lowers, anyway. TBH they did have oil in- 15ml? Can’t say, once it’s spread over the insides 15ml is not much. (I think some people assume when you take the bolts off, 15ml should drop out)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

LOL. Dry is dry, i can tell the difference. And i don’t find torx annoying in the slightest.

honourablegeorge

PeterPoddy – Member
    I do.
    Rock Shox assemble forks with grease these days which I remove and replace with Fox Float Fluid. I think it woks better and the forks feel more supple. I also have some nicer grease for the dust seals

What grease are you removing exactly?

And what do you put on the dust seals?

Have a set of Pikes awaiting a frame in the shed, and this is exactly the sort of needless fiddling I need to pass the time until the frame arrives.

otsdr
    Free Member

I think the grease is there (top of the positive piston) because oil would slowly migrate to the negative chamber through the transfer port on the inside of the fork leg.

amedias
    Free Member

I also do cup and come hubs from new too

This winds me right up, I reckon 80% of all ‘C+C hubs are crap, mine died in 6 days’ complaints can be traced back to them being adjusted tight (and with too little grease) from the factory and not being checked/greased in the shop prior to sale.

OP – I would check splash lube in the lowers and seals/grease prior to use, (I’d assume the damper was OK though) it takes <30mins and well worth it as situation can vary wildly on new forks from under-lubed to no lube.

superfli
    Free Member

Not sure what you are meant to put on the dust seals, but I’ve always used some Vaseline type grease that I got for my old elastomer manitou 3s! It’s a light blue colour. Works well

Pickers

I didn’t on the Rebas that I bought new a few years ago, naively I imagined that they might be usable if I just fitted them straight to a bike.
    Turned out they were dry as a nuns wotsit and scrap in short order. I the stanchions and crown assembly are in good condition (in case anyone wants them for spares or repair…)
    The Fox forks that came already fitted to a new bike were great, and very good nick when I sold them on a little while back.
    Why the hell should I have to service a brand new fork before I can use it.

bigjim

Always worth doing rockshox lowers, they just fart in there these days, nary a drop of oil usually.

daver27
    Free Member

Definitley worth doing a rockshox lower service if they are OEM, seen far too many sets that are bone dry when OEM sourced. for the sake of 20 minutes work its well worth it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Should do but can’t be arsed

Pickers

Always worth doing rockshox lowers, they just fart in there these days, nary a drop of oil usually.

That indeed would appear to be the case. Doubt I shall buy another set.

sandwicheater

Very handy timing, just about to pick up a pair of what i suspect are OEM Pikes. Same oils in the lowers as Revs?

Northwind

ghostlymachine – Member

LOL. Dry is dry, i can tell the difference

Wind your neck in, I said some not all.

montgomery
    Free Member

I bought a set of RS back end of last year. Took off the lowers a month ago and cleaned/greased/oiled everything as per manual, changing out the foam rings. Easy job, and working better than they did from new, to the point I wish I’d done it when they were new.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Brand new forks. Call me paranoid but would you service them before use?’ is closed to new replies.